Bachchan and Sanjeev Kapoor (right)
10 April 1964 |
Ambala, Haryana, India
|Education||Diploma in Hotel Management|
|Website||Sanjeev Kapoor Web|
|Cooking style||Indian cuisine|
Sanjeev Kapoor is an Indian chef and entrepreneur. Kapoor stars in the TV show Khana Khazana, which is the longest running show of its kind in Asia; it broadcasts in 120 countries and in 2010 had more than 500 million viewers. He also launched his own Food Food channel, in January 2011. Discovery Communications through its Indian organization, has acquired a majority stake in Kapoor's channel. He was also a contestant on Jhalak Dikhhla Jaa.
Early life and education
Kapoor was born in Haryana and spent most of his childhood in New Delhi. He started in the hospitality industry in 1984 with a Diploma in Hotel Management from the Institute of Hotel Management (IHM) Pusa, Catering Technology & Applied Nutrition, New Delhi.
Kapoor is married to Alyona Kapoor, who is also a part of his joint venture, Turmeric Vision Pvt. Ltd. (TVPL).
Kapoor began his career in India under their kitchen management scheme. After working in many hotels, he became the Executive Chef of the Centaur Hotel in Mumbai. He is also the recipient of the Best Executive Chef of India Award by H & FS and the Mercury Gold Award at Geneva, Switzerland by Indian Federation of Culinary Associations. Singapore Airlines recruited him as one of the members of its International Culinary Panel.He is also the brand ambassador for Sweekar Advanced, a sunflower oil brand in India. He is the most celebrated face of Indian Cuisine. He is a chef, a host, an author of cookbooks and a restaurant consultant.
In 2001, he unveiled his first restaurant, The Yellow Chilli, which is now present in many major cities across India. The menu at the restaurant bears his mark and most of the recipes are his creations. In 2010, Kapoor launched Sanjeev Kapoor's Khana Khazana which is his line of ready-to-cook meals. He lends his name to many restaurants all over India. He has released books and CD-ROMs on how to follow his recipes. In January 2011, he launched FoodFood channel, a High Definition TV channel dedicated to food. In 2012, Kapoor was nominated by the Fundación Consejo España India (Spain India Council Foundation) and the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (Spain) as one of 10 future Indian leaders among other notable professionals like Alok Nanavaty, Sunitha Raju, Sanaa Arora, Reuben Abraham, Samarth singh and Indrajit Hazra. In 2013 he hosted and judged the show, Sanjeev Kapoor Ke Kitchen Khiladi, which went on air on 16 September 2013 on Sony India. He was a celebrity judge on MasterChef India Season 3 which aired on Star Plus.
Since 2011, Kapoor has also been the brand ambassador of Sleek Kitchens, a modular kitchen brand in India.
Kapoor has been approached by the Indian Railways for the preparation of the menu of food items served on trains. He also introduced a culinary art course at Symbiosis Institute of Management Studies, Pune in May 2016.
SK Brands of celebrated chef Sanjeev Kapoor has forayed into lifestyle houseware and kitchenware segments and is scouting for brand licensing deals for the same.Kapoor plans to introduce premium products in the houseware category through the firm's licensing and merchandising vertical, the company statement said. It expects to generate Rs 100 crore over the next five years through this business. "SK Brands is actively seeking additional licensing alliances with manufacturers, traders and retailers in the houseware category," the statement said.
- Monica Bhide (24 February 2010). "India's chef to millions". The Washington Post. Retrieved 24 January 2011.
- "Sanjeev Kapoor's Food Channel in HD". The Times of India. 20 Dec 2010.
- "Discovery to acquire Sanjeev Kapoor's food channel". VCCircle. 12 May 2016. Retrieved 17 May 2016.
- Vir Sanghvi (3 November 2007). "Causing A Stir". Hindustan Times.
- Veenu Singh (12 April 2008). "Stir crazy". Hindustan Times.
- "BOOKS- A very appetizing khazana". BUSINESS INDIA. 22 February 1999.
- "Sanjiv Kapoor goes the Sleek way". The Hindu. 2011-06-18. ISSN 0971-751X. Retrieved 2016-04-16.
- "Narendra Modi in UAE: Chef Sanjeev Kapoor flown to Abu Dhabi for PM's dinner". 17 August 2015. Retrieved 17 May 2016.
- "Sanjeev Kapoor to prepare menu for railway food". The Indian Express. 12 February 2016. Retrieved 17 May 2016.
- "Sanjeev Kapoor inaugurates culinary art course at Symbiosis". 9 May 2016. Retrieved 15 May 2016.
- Sanjeev Kapoor
- Recipe Blog of Sanjeev Kapoor
- Official website
- Sanjeev Kapoor Cookery Books
- Interview with Sanjeev Kapoor for Zee Television
- Khana has khazana of prospects - interview in The Tribune online edition, 15 June 2005
- Launch of Sweekar Advanced at Calcutta
- Books by Sanjeev Kapoor