10 April 1964|
Ambala, East Punjab (now Haryana), India
|Education||Institute of Hotel Management, New Delhi|
|Cooking style||Indian cuisine|
Sanjeev Kapoor is an Indian celebrity chef, entrepreneur and television personality. Kapoor stars in the TV show Khana Khazana, which is the longest running show of its kind in Asia; it broadcasts in 120 countries and in 2010 had more than 500 million viewers. He also launched his own Food Food channel, in January 2011. Discovery Communications through its Indian organization, has acquired a majority stake in Kapoor's channel.
Kapoor was born in Ambala, Haryana (erstwhile Punjab) and spent most of his childhood in New Delhi. He started in the hospitality industry in 1984 with a Diploma in Hotel Management from the Institute of Hotel Management Catering & Nutrition, Pusa, New Delhi. Kapoor is married to Alyona Kapoor, who is also a part of his joint venture, Turmeric Vision Pvt. Ltd. (TVPL).
After working in many hotels, he became the Executive Chef of the Centaur Hotel in Mumbai. He is also the recipient of the Best Executive Chef of India Award by H & FS and the Mercury Gold Award at Geneva, Switzerland by Indian Federation of Culinary Associations. Singapore Airlines recruited him as one of the members of its International Culinary Panel. He is also the brand ambassador for Sweekar Advanced, a sunflower oil brand in India. He is the most celebrated face of Indian Cuisine. He is a chef, a host, an author of many cookbooks and a restaurant consultant.
Since 2011, Kapoor has also been the brand ambassador of Sleek Kitchens, a modular kitchen brand in India.
Kapoor has been approached by the Indian Railways for the preparation of the menu of food items served on trains. He also introduced a culinary art programs at Symbiosis Institute of Culinary Arts of Symbiosis International University, Pune in May 2016.
Padma Shri (2017) - fourth highest Indian national honour
- Monica Bhide (24 February 2010). "India's chef to millions". The Washington Post. Retrieved 24 January 2011.
- "Sanjeev Kapoor's Food Channel in HD". The Times of India. 20 Dec 2010.
- "Discovery to acquire Sanjeev Kapoor's food channel". VCCircle. 12 May 2016. Retrieved 17 May 2016.
- "Inside Story Chef Sanjeev Kapoor". www.sanjeevkapoor.com. 2013-06-26. Retrieved 2018-01-13.
- "Sanjiv Kapoor goes the Sleek way". The Hindu. 2011-06-18. ISSN 0971-751X. Retrieved 2016-04-16.
- "Sanjeev Kapoor to prepare menu for railway food". The Indian Express. 12 February 2016. Retrieved 17 May 2016.
- "Sanjeev Kapoor inaugurates culinary art course at Symbiosis". 9 May 2016. Retrieved 15 May 2016.