Sanjiv Rai at summer Davos 2013
|Native name||संजीव राय|
|Pronunciation||s ae n j ih v|
|Alma mater||Harvard University, University of Calcutta|
|Known for||Innovations in AI Convergence, Artificial Intelligence Networks, Communications Engineering|
Sanjiv Rai is a first-generation Indian innovator and serial entrepreneur. He is the Founder, Chairperson and Chief Solver of multiple startups under Billion Innovators and Chairperson at ARE Technologies and his venture initiatives AceWP Innovation Labs and BillionInnovators intend to promote innovation in India and abroad. As a serial Entrepreneur or Innovator he has worked on AI based convergence and design algorithms, on a variety of products and solutions such as network convergence enabling D5 chip, AceWP, PlasmaPHI, innovate2learn, agniie devices, ChazeMe, SmartSAPS(Smart Secured Automated Payment Solutions), coolATM and Rosenbridges Future Cities/Smart Buildings and CHANDRA project for NASA towards permanent human inhabitancy on outer planets.
- 1 Earlier Years
- 2 Opinions
- 3 Awards and recognition
- 4 References
Rai pioneered AI Convergence research since 2004/05 period including some early work in Quantum Communications for D5 Chip and developed AceWP Assessment tool at AreTec, which was launched in 141 countries. He has been a proponent of AI based automation since early days
Rai worked with NASA where he was the Chief Architect for the CHANDRA project. At Advanced Radio Engineering, Rai pioneered the D5 Chip technology, which enables neural network convergence in telecom devices with the in-built chip to access networks across multiple wireless standards at speeds of up to 100 Mbit/s.
He worked on AI network convergence since early days. Rai was considered a part of the next wave of millennial Entrepreneurs after Narayan Murthy and Azim Premji. Rai developed early versions of Virtual reality based learning tools for AceWP to simulate real-world wireless networks into an Augmented Reality lab environment for Engineering students. The program was compared with NNARTEand CISCO. Rai is working on six senses based augmented reality enabled labs and environments for K-12 education 
Rai owns several intellectual properties and has contributed to industry standards and books 
In 2004, Rai developed MogIA, an AI system that uses millions of data points from public platforms including Google, Facebook, Twitter and YouTube in the U.S. to make predictions. The AI system was named after Mowgli, a child in Rudyard Kipling's novel The Jungle Book. It has correctly predicted the winners of all four U.S. presidential elections since its inception, including the 2016 race when traditional polls had Hillary Clinton defeating Donald Trump 63 of 67 times in the four-week lead-up to Election Day. Rai said MogIA is a more accurate way to predict election outcomes because it does not "suffer from programmers/developer's biases." Instead, MogAI "aims at learning from her environment, developing her own rules at the policy layer and develop expert systems without discarding any data."
Sanjiv Rai started his education journey from a remote rural village that had no electricity or enough classrooms to few of the best universities in the world. Rai graduated from the University of Calcutta and was offered admission in Engineering Doctorate in Electrical and Electronics Engineering at UCL, which Rai shelved aside in the pursuit of Innovation and Entrepreneurship. Rai is an alumnus of Harvard University. Rai collaborated on research with academia at IIT Bombay and on contract with Princeton University.
Failure as a way of learning
Rai believes that success is a bad teacher. Failures are important and essential steps of learning. Startups not having failed make unreasonable assumptions.
Future of Education
Rai has opined that the future of learning will be based on learning through six senses. Rai’s body of work reflects that Augmented Reality can shape learning of the real world by leveraging all six senses and Artificial Intelligence can help learn several times faster and reinforce learning through AI based assessment tools.
Future of Products from India
Rai has been an early proponent of Innovation and Intellectual Properties driven products coming out of the Indian start-ups space instead of being me-too players or body shops. He emphasised areas such as Automation since 2004. Indian companies should diversify and do business across the world to balance unforeseen risks.
On Product Quality and Customer Focus
Rai has been a proponent of Quality rigor and Customer focus in the products and services made.
On Communication and Information as a basic human right
Rai has been a vocal advocate for access to communication and information as a basic human right, and humans as a civilized society have to do something about the widening digital divide.
Inhabiting Outer Space
Awards and recognition
Recognition for Rai include being listed in the Marquis Who's Who, being named among the Top 10 Emerging Stars by NASSCOM, Top 10 Asian Technovisionaries by ZDNet as part of CBS Interactive initiative and the Top 100 Disruptive Innovators by Red Herring. “Outstanding contributor to Engineering and Entrepreneurship” by ASEI.
Rai has chaired several tech committees and is active in creating global standards /leading initiatives at IEEE/ Computer Society/ Nanotechnology Council/GEOSS, ASQ-Electronics and Communications / Nanotechnology committee and WEF and is a celebrated speaker on Innovation. Rai has been invited to participate for his views on Innovation across the globe and to help shape Innovation agendas from Mexico to China and Africa
- "WEF Young Global Leader". Retrieved 20 September 2012.
- "Rediff News - Sanjiv Rai". Retrieved 20 September 2012.
- "ABC News". Sanjiv Rai phones home. October 2013.
- Rai, Sanjiv (2007). "Neural Network Convergence and Quantum Communication".
- "Certmag". AreTec Research & Development. September 2004.
- "Nasscom". 2004. Archived from the original on May 21, 2006.
- "NASA Document". Archived from the original on 2012-07-24.
- Rai, Sanjiv. "D5 Chip Technology".
- Rai, Sanjiv (2004). "Nasscom". SMEs the breeding ground of revolutionary products. Archived from the original on May 21, 2006.
- Rai, Sanjiv (Jan 2004). "Economic Times".
- Shukla, Seema (Jan 2004). "Corporate Dossier - The Economic Times". Whats size got to do with IT - Time for the next wave.
- "Corporate Dossier - The Economic Times". Time for the next wave. Jan 2004.
- "Certification Magazine". AceWP AI based Assessment Test- AR based Simulation tools. June 2005. Archived from the original on January 27, 2007.
- Rai, Sanjiv (August 2006). "Nasscom". Archived from the original on May 21, 2006.
- Rai, Sanjiv. "Harvard". Archived from the original on February 14, 2015.
- Kharpal, Arjun. "Trump will win the election and is more popular than Obama in 2008, AI system finds". CNBC. Retrieved 9 November 2016.
- Lord, Debbie. "Who predicted the Trump win? A computer and a professor, that's who". AJC.com. Retrieved 9 November 2016.
- "Startup Bootcamp". Startupbootcamp. Startupbootcamp. Archived from the original on 2018-06-19.
- Li, Julia (2015). "FOUNDERS AND IDEAS FOR THE ASIAN ENTREPRENEURIAL LANDSCAPE". HPAIR. Archived from the original on 2015-02-06.
- "IIT Bombay - Research collaboration panel". 2003.
- "IIT Bombay - Academia Industry Meet". Academia Industry Meet - ARE Technologies Ltd. 2003.
- "RN Drive". October 2013.
- "Marquis Who's Who". Archived from the original on 2016-03-03.
- "Top 10 Technovisionaries". Advanced Radio Engineering - Convergence. November 2006.
- Rai, Sanjiv (November 2006). "Top 10 Technovisionaries - ARE Technologies". Convergence and AceWP Learning Tools. Archived from the original on December 14, 2012.
- "11 Young Global Leaders from India".
- "Meet Asia's Top 100 Innovators". Advanced Radio Engineering. 2006. Archived from the original on February 17, 2007.
- "Red Herring Top 100" (PDF). Advanced Radio Engineering. 2006. Archived from the original on October 19, 2007.
- "Space Fellowship". December 2008.
- Rai, Sanjiv (October 2015). "World Economic Forum - Young Global Leader". World Economic Forum - Sanjiv Rai. World Economic Forum. Archived from the original on October 5, 2015.
- "World Economic Forum". Retrieved 20 September 2012.
- "Silicon India - Young Global Leader". Innovator and Serial Entrepreneur.
- "IEEE". 2006.
- "Convergence - Standards". Convergence and Seamless Communication. 2007.
- "Speakers Bulgaria". Jan 2014.
- Rai, Sanjiv (2006). "IEEE".
- Rai, Sanjiv (July 2014). "Speakers Bulgaria".
- "ASQ". 2014.
- "Rediff". March 2012.
- "Celebrity Speakers". Celebrity Speakers. Celebrity Speakers Association UK.
- "President Calderon discussing smart cities and technology". Archived from the original on March 12, 2013.