||A major contributor to this article appears to have a close connection with its subject. (November 2014)|
|Born||Colombo, Sri Lanka|
|Alma mater||Royal College, Colombo
Kent State University
|Known for||Apache Software Foundation
|Notable awards||Red Hat Summit Award|
Sanjiva Weerawarana is a CEO, software developer and open source evangelist. He is known for:
- His work on the Web Services standards including WSDL, BPEL, and WS-Addressing.
- Founding WSO2, an Open Source middleware company.
- His involvement with the Apache Software Foundation, including work on Apache SOAP, Apache Axis and Apache Axis2.
- Setting up the Lanka Software Foundation.
- Involvement with the Sahana FOSS Disaster Management System.
- Advisory Board Member 24/7 Techies
Weerawarana attended Kent State University, majoring in applied mathematics / computer science, before completing a PhD at Purdue University. He then joined IBM Research working in Hawthorne, New York, until he left to found the startup WSO2. He currently lives in Colombo.
Weerawarana has been involved with the Apache Software Foundation since 2000 when he worked on the original Apache SOAP project. Weerawarana is an elected Member of the Foundation and is a committer on several projects. A complete and current listing of Apache projects in which he is involved is available here: Apache Committers.
In 2004 he founded the Lanka Software Foundation to encourage involvement in Open Source from Sri Lankans. And he is a director there.
Weerawarana has many research publications. A full list is available here:  Notable research publications include:
- Colombo: Lightweight middleware for service-oriented computing IBM Systems Journal 44
- Enterprise Services Communications of the ACM 45
- Sanjiva Weerawarana, Francisco Curbera, Frank Leymann and Donald F. Ferguson (2005). Web Services Platform Architecture. Prentice Hall. ISBN 0-13-148874-0.
- Maria E. Orlowska, Sanjiva Weerawarana, Michael P. Papazoglou, Jian Yang (2003). Service-Oriented Computing -- ICSOC 2003 : First International Conference, Trento, Italy, December 15–18, 2003, Proceedings. Springer. ISBN 3-540-20681-7.
- Sanjiva Weerawarana's Blog - Sanjiva Weerawarana's Blog
- W3C Working Draft - W3C Working Draft on WSDL ver 1.2
- Sanjiva Weerawarana's profile Page - Sanjiva Weerawarana's profile Page
- WSO2 home page - WSO2 home page
- Lanka Software Foundation - Lanka Software Foundation
- Open Source Initiative Board Members - Open Source Initiative Board Members
- Sanjeeva Weerawarana in Business Week