A KiHa 120 DMU on the Sanko Line in June 2008
|Locale||Shimane and Hiroshima Prefectures|
|Daily ridership||50 passengers per km per day (FY2014)|
|Opened||1930 (completed in 1975)|
|Closed||31 March 2018|
|Line length||108.1 km (67.2 mi)|
|Track gauge||1,067 mm (3 ft 6 in)|
|Operating speed||85 km/h (55 mph)|
The Sankō Line (三江線 Sankō-sen) was a railway line in western Japan operated by the West Japan Railway Company (JR West). The 108.1 km line connected Gōtsu in Shimane Prefecture to Miyoshi in Hiroshima Prefecture and featured 30 tunnels. Whilst the first section opened in 1930, the line was not completed until 1975. Owing to declining patronage, the entire rail line ceased operation on 31 March 2018, to be replaced by a bus service on 1 April 2018.
|Name||Between (km)||Distance (km)||Transfers||Location|
|Gōtsu||江津||-||0.0||Sanin Main Line||Gōtsu||Shimane Prefecture|
|Kuchiba||口羽||1.5||79.7||Ōnan, Ōchi, Shimane|
Services on the line were operated by JR West single-car KiHa 120 diesel multiple units.
The Gotsu to Kawado section opened in 1930, and the line was extended progressively east, reaching Hamahara in 1937. The Miyoshi to Shikijiki section opened in 1955 as a passenger-only line, and was extended to Kuchiba in 1963, and Hamahara in 1975, completing the line.
On 16 October 2015, JR West announced that it was considering closing the line owing to poor patronage, and was in discussion with the two prefectures served by the line, Shimane and Hiroshima, as well as other municipalities served, concerning future plans. In fiscal 2014, the line carried an average of 50 passengers per km per day, compared to 458 per km per day in 1987. On 29 September 2016, JR West announced that the entire line would close on 31 March 2018. The line then closed on March 31, 2018, with an event hosted by JR West.
- 三江線１８年３月末で廃線 [Sanko Line to close at end of March 2018]. Mainichi Shimbun (in Japanese). Japan: The Mainichi Newspapers. 29 September 2016. Archived from the original on 1 October 2016. Retrieved 1 October 2016.
- ＪＲ三江線廃止 代替バス運行開始 Retrieved 2 April 2018 (in Japanese)
- ＪＲ西：三江線、廃止も検討…人口減、利用低迷で [JR West considering closure of Sanko Line - declining population and poor patronage]. Mainichi Shimbun (in Japanese). Japan: The Mainichi Newspapers. 16 October 2015. Archived from the original on 2 November 2015. Retrieved 1 October 2016.
- 区間別平均通過人員および旅客運輸収入（平成26年度） [Average passenger figures and revenue by line (Fiscal 2014)] (PDF) (in Japanese). Japan: West Japan Railway Company. 2015. p. 58. Archived from the original (PDF) on 9 January 2016. Retrieved 17 October 2015.
- "Railway fans bid JR Sanko Line in western Japan farewell as red ink forces closure". Mainichi Daily News. 31 March 2018. Retrieved 10 September 2018.