|Founded by||Ukkira Pandiya Raja|
|• Municipality Chairman||S. Kannan|
|• Sankarankovil (State Assembly Constituency)||V.M.Rajalakshmi|
|Elevation||143 m (469 ft)|
|• Total||70, 574|
|• Rank||2nd in Tirunelveli District Municipalities|
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
|Telephone code||+91 - 4636|
|Vehicle registration||TN-79 (Sankarankovil RTO)|
|1st Grade Municipality|
Sankarankovil (சங்கரன்கோவில்) is a second largest municipality in the Tirunelveli district of the Indian state of Tamil Nadu. Sankarankovil is home to the famous Sankara Narayanar temple. It is situated at Tirunelveli district and 56 km away from Thirunelveli City. Sankarankovil is the second largest town in the district. It was formerly called Sankaranayinarkoil (சங்கரநயினார்கோவில்). As of 2011, the town had a population of 70, 574.
- 1 History
- 2 Politics
- 3 Demographics
- 4 Sankarankovil Briyani
- 5 Automobiles Showrooms
- 6 Transportation
- 7 Municipality
- 8 Sankarankovil RTO ( Regional Transport Office )
- 9 Bank Branches in SNKL
- 10 Education Institutions
- 11 Notable Persons From Sankarankovil
- 12 Economy
- 13 See also
- 14 References
Sankarankovil is home to the famous Sankara Narayanan temple. It is situated at Tirunelveli District and 56 km away from Thirunelveli City. Sankarankovil is the second largest town in the district. It is very famous for "Adi Thabasu" festival. In older times, the city was called as Sankaranayinar kovil. Even now it is called as Sankaran Kovil.Once upon a time a "Devan" (Angel) called "Manikkeerivan" was cursed by Goddess Parvathi. Because of which, he had to come to earth and work as gardener in a beautiful garden. One day while he was clearing a snake pit, the snake tail was also cut. He found a Sivalingam next to the snake. He went and informed about this to his king Ukira Pandiyan. The king considered it to be the god's wish to stay there and constructed the temple and a city around.The Puthu Maan in the temple is taken as a holy sand which could cure lot of disease by all devotees.
Like every other temple, Sankarankovil has its own interesting story. Once the devotees of Lord Hari (or Vishnu) and Lord Shiva quarreled with each other to determine whose god is powerful. Then Lord Shiva appeared as Sankaranarayanar to mark his devotees to understand that both Hari and Shiva are one and the same. So it is held sacred by Saivites and those Hindus who believe that Siva and Vishnu are a single deity one in one and accordingly, desire to worship the two gods into one form. Srivaishnavites of Tamil Nadu who worship Lord Vishnu only, have not accepted the mingling of Siva and Vishnu thus, and therefore, they reject this deity of this temple which depicts the concept of Hari and Haran being one God.
The deities of this temple are Sri Sankareswarar, Sri Gomathi Amman and Sri Sankara Narayanar.
Sankarankovil is also said to be home to the deity named Avudai Ambal-RR.
The general belief is that the Holy Sand "Puttrumann" (Puttru = Ant Hill, Mann = Sand) that one gets from this temple is capable of curing all the diseases. Devotees believe that Sankarankovil‘s Nagasunai (sacred tank) have been dug by serpent kings named Paduman and Sangam which has a miraculous power to heal those who bath there.Once a time a "Devan" (Angel) called "Manikkeerivan" was cursed by Goddess Parvathi. Because of which, he had to come to earth and work as gardener in a beautiful garden. One day while he was clearing a snake pit, the snake tail was also cut. He found a Sivalingam next to the snake. He went and informed about this to his king Ukira Pandiyan. The king considered it to be the god's wish to stay there and constructed the temple and a city around.
The snake pit (Ant Hill) is called "Vanmeekam". Hence the deity Sri Sankaralingar is also called "Vanmeeganadhar" .
|2011||Elected||Sankarankovil||C. Karuppasamy||(Minister) up to October 22, 2011Minister ADMK|
- 2012 - 2016 MLA of the Sankarankovil (State Assembly Constituency) is famous politician S. Muthuselvi
- Current MLA and MINISTER of Sankarankovil (State Assembly Constituency) is V.M.Rajalakshmi (Adi Dravidar and Tribal Welfare)
According to 2011 census, Sankarankoil had a population of 70, 574 with a sex-ratio of 1,012 females for every 1,000 males, much above the national average of 929. A total of 5,660 were under the age of six, constituting 2,867 males and 2,793 females. Scheduled Castes and Scheduled Tribes accounted for 22.47% and .3% of the population respectively. The average literacy of the town was 74.9%, compared to the national average of 72.99%. The town had a total of 14536 households. There were a total of 24,064 workers, comprising 493 cultivators, 2,003 main agricultural labourers, 2,245 in house hold industries, 17,190 other workers, 2,133 marginal workers, 34 marginal cultivators, 247 marginal agricultural labourers, 413 marginal workers in household industries and 1,439 other marginal workers.
Sankarankovil Briyani (சங்கரன்கோவில் பிரியாணி) is very famous in Tamil Nadu. It is famous for its SHEEP. This type of Briyani is not only famous in Sankarankovil , but also famous in nearby states like Kerala , Andhra Pradesh , Karnataka , Telangana etc.... Still its taste is growing up and it's customers with affection.
- Siva Auto Agency (TVS)
- Sri Gomathi Auto Agency (HERO HONDA)
- Mario Honda (HONDA)
- Roja Bajaj (BAJAJ)
- Arunachalam Auto Agency (YAMAHA)
- Thendra Motors
- Natesan Auto Agency
- Aadhi Maruti COIMBATORE Pvt. Ltd
The nearest domestic airport is located in Madurai. It is 120 km away from Sankarankovil. Madurai has two airplanes to Chennai. The nearest international airport is located in Trivandrum. It is 148 km away from Sankarankovil.
Sankarankovil has two bus stand for people use.The main bus stand is nearby to the Sankarankovil Municipality office. The main bus stand is also called as Anna Bus Stand.The new bus stand is nearby to the Sankarankovil Taluk office. The new bus stand is also called as Thanthai Periyar New Bus Stand . Currently the new bus stand is not in use. But it will opening as soon as possible.
Sankarankovil is situated at the State Highways 41 and 76. Also it is situated near to the National Highways 07 and 208. So, there are so many buses passing through this town.The main bus track to the Cities / Towns like Tirunelveli, Madurai, Tuticorin, Nagercoil, Trichy / Tenkasi, Rajapalayam, Srivilliputhur, Sivakasi, Surandai, Kalugumalai, Thiruvenkatam, Valliyur, Courtallam, Shencottah, Aryankavu, Ambasamudram, Kanyakumari, Tiruchendur, Rameshwaram, Tirumangalam, Aruppukottai, Kovilpatti, Sivagiri, Kayathar, Sattur, Nanguneri, Ettaiyapuram, Karivalamvandha Nallur and so on ....... Also there are so many travels in Sankarankovil. Sankarankovil has SETC buses also. They are travelling from Sankarankovil to Kodaikanal, Munnar, Madurai, Chennai, Coimbatore, Trichy, Palakkad, Calicut, Dindigul, Hosur and so on .......
There are three daily passenger trains Madurai to Shencottah through Sankarankovil. Also there are three daily passenger trains Shencottah to Madurai through Sankarankovil. Also there is daily two express trains. One is Chennai to Shencottah through Sankarankovil . Also there is Shencottah to Chennai through Sankarankovil.
New Railway Tracks For SNKL
- Sankarankovil to Tirunelveli
- Sankarankovil to Coimbatore
- Sankarankovil to Erode
- Sankarankovil to Chennai (Another Track)
Sankarankovil is the second largest municipality in Tirunelveli district. It is a growing town that includes many localities. Some of the localities includes as Karivalamvandha Nallur, Gomathi Nagar, Gomathiyapuram Nagar, Sangupuram Nagar, Lakshmiyapuram Nagar, Vadukkupudhur, Therkku Sankarankovil, NGO Colony, Ezhil Nagar, Mullai Nagar etc...Sankarankovil Municipality got the award for the best municipality in Tamil Nadu. In Tirunelveli district there is no Municipalities got this award is the most important thing
Sankarankovil RTO ( Regional Transport Office )
Sankarankovil RTO is newly opened by the honourable chief minister Ms. J.Jayalalitha Jayaram via video conference. It is situated at Thiruvallurar Nagar. Sankarankovil RTO No. Is TN - 79.
Bank Branches in SNKL
- State Bank of India ( SBI )
- Indian Bank ( IB )
- Karur Vysya Bank ( KVB )
- Indian Overseas Bank ( IOB )
- Andhra Bank ( AB )
- Pandiyan Grama Bank ( PGB )
- Canara Bank ( CB )
- Tamilnad Mercantile Bank ( TMB )
- Kumbakonam Paraspara Finance Pvt. Ltd
- Corporation Bank ( CB )
- City Union Bank ( CUB )
- IDBI Bank ( IDBI )
- State Bank of Travancore ( SBT )
ICICI Bank, KOTAK MAHINDRA BANK, KARNATAKA BANK, BANK OF BARODA
- A.V Higher Secondary School, Sankarankovil
- AVK International Residential School, Sankarankovil
- AVK Memorial Matriculation Higher Secondary School, Sankarankovil
- VEL'S Public School, Sankarankovil
- Sri Vaiyapuri Vidyalaya Matriculation Higher Secondary School, Sankarankovil
- St . Joseph Matriculation Higher Secondary School, Sankarankovil
- Sri Gomathi Ambal Matriculation Higher Secondary School, Sankarankovil
- Sri Mahalakshmi Matriculation Higher Secondary School, Sankarankovil
- Annai Velankanni ( AV ) Higher Secondary School, Sankarankovil
- Annai Theresa Nursery and Primary School, Sankarankovil
- Municipality School ( Total : 15 + )
- Mahathma Nursery and Primary School, Sankarankovil
- Angel Higher Secondary School, Sankarankovil
- Sankaranarayana Play School, Sankarankovil
- Mahathma Nursery and Primary School, Sankarankovil
- Gomathi Sankar Nursery and Primary School, Sankarankovil
- Sankaranarayanar Nursery and Primary School, Sankarankovil
- Siva Nursery and Primary School, Sankarankovil
- Sri Ramachandra Nursery and Primary School, Sankarankovil
- 36 Grama Senaithalaivar Higher Secondary School, Sankarankovil
- 24 Manai Thelungu Chettiyar Higher Secondary School, Sankarankovil
- Sengunthar Higher Secondary School, Sankarankovil
- Seventh Day Adventist Matriculation School, Sankarankovil
- SNR Higher Secondary School, Sankarankovil
- Sri Gomathi Ambal Government Boys Higher Secondary School, Sankarankovil
- Sri Gomathi Ambal Government Girls Higher Secondary School, Sankarankovil
- Vaniga Vysya Sangam Higher Secondary School, Sankarankovil
- Jaya Matha Nursery and Primary School, Sankarankovil
- Royal City Modern English School, Sankarankovil
- Vivekanandha Nursery and Primary School, Sankarankovil
- A.P.C Veerabaghu Nursery and Primary School, Sankarankovil
Notable Persons From Sankarankovil
- Famous Politician - Vaiko ( Founder of MDMK )
- Famous Politician - Karuppasamy Minister in ADMK Government (up to 22 October 2011)
- Famous politician - S. Thangavelu Ex State Minister, Member of parliament (R.S.) D.M.K
- Famous Politician - S. Muthuselvi (ADMK)
- Famous Politician - V.M.Rajalakshmi (Minister of Adi Dravidar and Tribal Welfare) (ADMK)
- Famous Actor - Vivek
- Famous Writer - Devaneya Pavanar
- Famous Actor - S. J. Surya
There are many industries in Sankarankovil. Apart from agri business, this town is well known for its textiles. Nearly about 4000 powerlooms is directly involved in producing various kinds of textile products like Terry towel, Cotton Sarees, lungies, hand kerchiefs,vinayakar towel etc.The produced product are marketed all over India directly. Subbulapuram, a village 14 km away from the city Sankarankovil, is popularly known as "TERRY CITY". TERYY TOWEL are largely manufactured in these places. By frankly saying that these are the places were cotton yarns are largely used. Perumbathur, a village 6 km away from Sankarankovil, is popularly known as "Flower City". Jasmine flowers are largely manufactured in these places.
- Weaving and sizing industries
- Plastic Moulding industries
- Spinning Mills
- Oil Industries
- Furniture manufacturing industries
- More Leather & welding Works, etc....
- Flower Farming
- Sankarankoil taluk
- Sankarankoil block
- Sankarankovil (State Assembly Constituency)
- C. Karuppasamy
- S. Thangavelu
- S. Muthuselvi
- "List of Parliamentary and Assembly Constituencies" (PDF). Tamil Nadu. Election Commission of India. Retrieved 2008-10-13.
- "Census Info 2011 Final population totals". Office of The Registrar General and Census Commissioner, Ministry of Home Affairs, Government of India. 2013. Retrieved 26 January 2014.
- "Census Info 2011 Final population totals - Sankarankoil". Office of The Registrar General and Census Commissioner, Ministry of Home Affairs, Government of India. 2013. Retrieved 26 January 2014.