This article needs additional citations for verification. (August 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Sanlitun (Chinese: 三里屯; pinyin: Sānlǐtún; literally: 'three li village') is an area of the Chaoyang District, Beijing containing many popular bar streets and international stores. It is a popular destination for shopping, dining and entertainment.
The area has been under almost constant regeneration since the late 20th century as part of a citywide project of economic regrowth. It currently houses many bars and clubs popular with both locals and foreigners as well as international brand-name stores such as Uniqlo, Apple Inc. and Adidas. It is notable for housing the largest Adidas store in the world. In recent years, the Taikoo Li Sanlitun shopping mall has become a popular destination for locals and foreigners alike.
Prior to 1949, the Beijing Legation Quarter was the center of diplomatic activity in the capital. After the foundation of the People's Republic of China, the government wanted to move the diplomatic district outside the inner city. Sanlitun was chosen as the area where foreign legations and embassies were to be reallocated in the late 1950s. The area was called Sanlitun to designate its location from Dongzhimen gate (东直门), with tun meaning 'locality' and san li meanings 'three li' (a li is 0.5 km), so that the name means "locality 1.5 km away (from Dongzhimen Gate)".
Sanlitun began to grow when, along with the economic reforms of the late 1970s and early 1980s, bars serving expatriates and later locals began to open. International hotels introduced the first bars, but in the 1990s, standalone establishments appeared. Accounts differ over which was the first bar in Sanlitun, with one author crediting the Cat Cafe in 1995 while another names Frank's Place, which opened in 1990.
A small lane known as Nan Jie was demolished in the summer of 2005 to make way for new buildings. However, bars and restaurants continue to operate on both sides of Gongti Bei Lu.
The Village and Nali Mall shopping areas opened in the summer 2008, giving the area many new shops, restaurants, bars and a multiplex cinema.
Sanlitun saw significant new construction as part of preparations for the 2008 Summer Olympics. In April 2008, as part of an ongoing operation to clean up the city, a major drug bust occurred in Sanlitun and many arrests were made. A total of four bars and clubs were effectively closed, including a notorious bar known as Pure Girl for its cheap alcohol and availability of drugs, both its bartender and manager were executed for distribution of drugs. However, it has since reopened a year later with new management. The police operation was widely criticized for its violence and absence of proper due process. A number of drug dealers as well as a barman are believed to have received the death penalty as a result of this operation.
The Uniqlo in Sanlitun gained international attention after it was the site of a July 2015 sex tape that was filmed inside one of the store's dressing rooms. Uniqlo denied any involvement in the video.
In an August 2015 incident near the Uniqlo, a Chinese woman was killed and her French husband was wounded in an attack by a sword-wielding man.
On 25 December 2015, following the November 2015 Paris attacks by ISIS, several foreign embassies in Beijing warned of possible threats against Westerners in the Sanlitun shopping district on or around Christmas Day, urging their citizens to "exercise heightened vigilance."
A popular destination for foreigners and young people was the "dirty street" of hole-in-the-wall restaurants and bars at the center of Sanlitun. However, the street was cleaned up in 2017.
This section needs expansion. You can help by adding to it. (September 2015)
International schools in Sanlitun include:
- British School of Beijing Sanlitun Campus
- Pakistan Embassy College Beijing
- The Italian Embassy School of Beijing
- Ivy Academy - The Ivy Group
- "Sanlitun". Basic Beijing. Retrieved 2 July 2012.
- "Daylight Killing Brings Beijing District of Sanlitun Under Scrutiny". The New York Times. 14 August 2015.
- "My parents cannot imagine my life, but they let me choose the way I live". The Guardian. 9 August 2007.
- Beijing police raid popular bar district for drugs
- "Uniqlo sex video: film shot in Beijing store goes viral and angers government". TheGuardian. 16 July 2015.
- "Beijing Police Detain at Least 4 Over Uniqlo Sex Video". The New York Times. 20 July 2015.
- "Embassies in Beijing Warn of Possible Threats Against Foreigners". The New York Times. 25 December 2015.
- Jia, Cui. "Work begins to clean up Beijing's 'dirty streets'". China Daily. Retrieved 4 June 2018.
- "Italian Embassy School in Beijing". scuolapechino.com. Retrieved 22 January 2018.
- "Contact Us." Pakistan Embassy College Beijing. Retrieved on September 16, 2015. " Pakistan Embassy College Beijing Embassy of Pakistan Compound No. 1, Dong Zhi Men Wai Da Jie, Sanlitun, Chaoyang Distt. Beijing 100600, CHINA."
- "艾毅教育集团 - 我们的项目". www.ivyschools.com (in Chinese). Retrieved 22 January 2018.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Sanlitun.|