Sanna Riitta Liisa Sillanpää (born April 15, 1968) is a Finnish woman who shot three men to death with a rented pistol on 21 February 1999 in a shooting club on Albertinkatu, Helsinki, and wounded another man, who received lifetime injuries. One man present was not harmed. One of the dead was the shooting club's 23-year-old supervisor.
As Sillanpää was leaving the club, she said: "This is what they taught us at the FBI academy, isn't it?". She then travelled from the Helsinki centre to the Helsinki-Vantaa Airport in a city bus, carrying a gun and ammunition. At the airport she was trying to buy a ticket to "somewhere". Sillanpää was caught after four hours as she was boarding an aeroplane to London. Before boarding the plane she left the murder weapon in a trash can in the airport terminal. It was discovered by a cleaner.
At the trials and hearings Sillanpää did not speak at all. No motive for the act was found.
In mental health examinations Sillanpää was found to suffer from paranoid schizophrenia. In district court, the state prosecutor Maarit Loimukoski demanded Sillanpää to be imprisoned for three acts of manslaughter without full understanding (partially insane) and for two attempted acts of manslaughter, but on 11 October 1999, the district court found Sillanpää to be without understanding (legally insane).
Loimukoski appealed the decision to the Helsinki Court of Appeal, but the decision was upheld on 11 October 2000. Loimukoski explained that the reason for her demand for punishment was that Sillanpää had acted with premeditation in attempting to flee Finland and hiding the gun after the act. Sillanpää was sent to the Niuvanniemi mental hospital in Kuopio.
After the incident, many wanted to tighten the availability of weapons at shooting ranges.
- Sillanpää guilty of three counts of manslaughter Helsingin Sanomat, international edition, 12 October 1999 (in English)
- Turun Sanomat 11 October 2000: Court of Appeal upheld triple killer's sentence (in Finnish)
- Master level graduates University of Helsinki, Department of computer science
- MTV3 News archive 21 February 1999: Shooting club manslaughter suspect has not confessed (in Finnish)
- MTV3 News archive 23 February 1999: Weapon allegedly used in triple manslaughter found (in Finnish)
- MTV3 News archive 24 February 1999: Triple manslaughter suspect: "The bullets are personal mementos" (in Finnish)
- MTV3 News archive 31 May 1999: Key witness certain about Sillanpää's guilt (in Finnish)
- MTV3 News archive 31 May 1999: Sillanpää sent to mental health examination (in Finnish)
- Pohjolan poliisi kertoo 2001 (article: Ampumaratasurmat)