The Sanskrit College and University
|Established||1824, 2016 as university|
|Chancellor||Governor of West Bengal|
|Location||College Street, Calcutta|
The Sanskrit College and University (erstwhile Sanskrit College) is a state university located in Kolkata, West Bengal, India. It focuses on liberal arts, offering an undergraduate degree in Sanskrit language, Pali language, linguistics and ancient Indian and world history.
This section needs additional citations for verification. (September 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Secretaries[further explanation needed]|
Mahesh Chandra Nyayratna Bhattacharyya, the scholar of Sanskrit was the principal of the college for over 18 years. He was made a Companion of the Most Eminent Order of the Indian Empire (C.I.E.), and a member of the Most Eminent Order of the Indian Empire.
The institution rose to prominence during the principalship of Ishwar Chandra Vidyasagar in 1851, who admitted students from other than the brahmin caste. In particular the tol or traditional Indian training school model was incorporated as a department in the 1870s.
From 1824 until 1851 the College did not have the post of Principal but was headed by a Secretary. From 1851 the College was headed by a Principal.
Transformation into a university
The Sanskrit College and University, West Bengal Bill 2015, aimed at transforming Sanskrit College into a university was passed in West Bengal Assembly on 17 December 2015. The university was established vide The Sanskrit College and University, West Bengal Act 2015 on 19 February 2016"The Sanskrit College and University, West Bengal Act 2015" (PDF). Kolkata Gazette. 19 February 2016. and became functional on 15 June 2016 when the first Vice-Chancellor, Dilipkumar Mohanta, joined the institute.
The Sanskrit College and University is located on College Street in central Kolkata, India. Its centrality is heightened by its proximity to Hindu School, Presidency University, Kolkata, the University of Calcutta, and the Indian Coffee House.
- "About the Vice-Chancellor". sanskritcollegeanduniversity.org.in. Retrieved 23 March 2018.
- "List of State Universities as on 29.06.2017" (PDF). University Grants Commission. 29 June 2017. Retrieved 1 July 2017.
- Sanskrit College: About, sanskritcollege.co.in (archive version). Retrieved 7 September 2017.
- "About the Vice-Chancellor". sanskritcollegeanduniversity.org.in. The Sanskrit College & University. Retrieved 7 September 2017.
- "History". sanskritcollegeanduniversity.org.in. The Sanskrit College & University. Retrieved 7 September 2017.
|This article about a university or college in West Bengal, India is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|