Sant'Elpidio a Mare
This article needs additional citations for verification. (November 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Sant'Elpidio a Mare
|Comune di Sant'Elpidio a Mare|
View of the town
|Frazioni||Casette d'Ete, Cascinare, Bivio Cascinare, Castellano, Luce, Cretarola|
|• Mayor||Alessio Terrenzi|
|• Total||50.52 km2 (19.51 sq mi)|
|Elevation||257 m (843 ft)|
|• Density||340/km2 (880/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+1 (CET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+2 (CEST)|
|Patron saint||Saint Elpidius|
|Saint day||September 2|
Sant'Elpidio a Mare is located on a ridge of Marche Apennine, elevation 251 metres (823 ft) above sea level, between the lower river valleys of the river Tenna and Ete Morto, 9 kilometres (6 mi) from the Adriatic Sea.
The historical name of locality is documented by an 11th century parchment as "Sancto Elpidio Majore" to distinguish it from other places in Sant'Elpidio Morico Brand Fermana. The abbreviation of "majore" was later changed to "mare" ("sea" in Italian).
The town occupies the site of the ancient Roman city of Cluana, destroyed by the Visigoths in the early 5th century. In 887 here a large Benedictine Abbey was founded in 887; the medieval borough rose around it as Castello di Sant'Elpidio, starting from the 11th century.
- Imperial Abbey of Santa Croce al Chienti. This is a Benedictine convent founded, according to tradition, in 887 on a pre-existing religious building. The heyday of the abbey was between the 10th and the 12th century in which it was enlarged and renovated in Romanesque style.
- Church of Madonna dei Lumi
- Church of Sant'Elpidio Abate
- Sanctuary of Madonna degli Angeli
- Church of Sant'Agostino (14th century)
- Remains of 3 kilometres (1.9 mi) of the 13th and 14th century walls; only three of the seven original gates are visible today
- Torre Gerosolimitana ("Tower of the Knights of Jerusalem"), built by the Knights Hospitaller in the 16th century
- Town Hall (14th century)
- "Superficie di Comuni Province e Regioni italiane al 9 ottobre 2011". Istat. Retrieved 16 March 2019.
- "Popolazione Residente al 1° Gennaio 2018". Istat. Retrieved 16 March 2019.
- Population data from ISTAT
Media related to Sant'Elpidio a Mare at Wikimedia Commons