Sant Llorenç des Cardassar
Sant Llorenç des Cardassar
A view of the bay of s'Illot and Sa Coma
Location within Mallorca
|Autonomous community||Balearic Islands|
|• Mayor||Mateo Puigrós Sureda|
|• Total||82.08 km2 (31.69 sq mi)|
|Elevation||89 m (292 ft)|
|• Density||100/km2 (270/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+1 (CET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+2 (CEST)|
Sant Llorenç des Cardassar was the tragic scene of flash floods on the night of 9 October 2018, in which 13 people died. Some 400 troops of the Spanish Army, Civil Guard, firemen, local police and Civil Protection were mobilized to help trapped people and locate those missing. More than 200 people slept in shelters that were set up for those affected. 
Sant Llorenç is 34 mi (55 km) east of Palma de Mallorca, the island's capital. The municipality, on the eastern coast of the island of Mallorca, adjoins the municipalities of Manacor, Petra, Artà and Son Servera. Inland, the municipality contains the town centre of Sant Llorenç and the village of Son Carrió. On the coast, within the municipality, are Sa Coma, the northern part of s'Illot and the southern part of Cala Millor, which are all beachside tourist areas. The Punta de n'Amer, a headland at the eastern end of the municipality, separates the beaches of Cala Millor and Sa Coma.
|Note: De jure population|
The Ma-15, the main road from Palma, acts as a bypass around the southern and eastern sides of the town centre of Sant Llorenç, continuing north through Artà. The Ma-4030 road connects the town centre of Sant Llorenç with Son Servera, to the east. The Ma-4023 road is on an approximate north-south axis, parallel to the coast but about 1 mi (1.6 km) inland from the beach areas, connecting Son Servera with Porto Cristo.
- Margarita Fullana, a mountain biker who won a bronze medal at the 2000 Summer Olympics in Sydney, was born in the municipality.
- "Municipal Register of Spain 2018". National Statistics Institute. Retrieved 11 April 2019.
- "The town of Sant Llorenç des Cardassar in Majorca". ViaGallica. Retrieved 1 August 2018.
- "Deadly flash flooding hits Majorca". BBC News. 10 October 2018. Retrieved 11 October 2018.
- "Coordinate Distance Calculator". Boulter.com. Retrieved 31 July 2018.
- "Municipio: 07051 Sant Llorenç des Cardassar" [Municipality: 07051 Sant Llorenç des Cardassar]. Instituto Nacional de Estadística (in Spanish). Retrieved 1 August 2018.
- "Love Island: Where was Jack from? And other questions answered". BBC News. 31 July 2018. Retrieved 31 July 2018.
- Conroy, Jade; Johnstone, Charlotte (24 July 2017). "Love Island 2017 filming locations revealed". The Telegraph. Retrieved 31 July 2018.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Sant Llorenç des Cardassar.|
- Official site (in Catalan)