Sant Longowal Institute of Engineering and Technology
|Motto||योगः कर्मसु कौशलम्
(yogaḥ karmasu kauśalam)
Motto in English
|Excellence in action is yoga|
|Director||V. K. Jain|
|Location||Longowal, Sangrur, Punjab
|Campus||451 acres (1.8 km2)|
|Affiliations||UGC, AICTE, NAAC, NBA|
Sant Longowal Institute of Engineering and Technology (SLIET), a deemed university, was established by the government of India in 1989. The campus is situated on 451 acres in the Longowal, Sangrur district, Punjab, India. SLIET is fully funded by the Ministry of Human Resource Development, and is an autonomous body controlled by the SLIET Society. Educational opportunities include technical and practical training in the fields of engineering and technology.
Established by the Ministry Of Human Resource and Development (MHRD) in 1989, SLIET was established to provide education in areas of engineering and technology. It was named in memory of Harchand Singh Longowal, a Sikh political party leader who was assassinated in 1985 after signing a peace accord with the government of Punjab. At the time of Longowal's assassination, Prime Minister Rajiv Gandhi called it "a tragedy not just for Punjab but for the whole country. He worked courageously . . . to remove hatred from the hearts of men and to bring peace after so much strife and pain."
The institute initiated certificate and diploma programmes in 1991, and the degree programme in 1993. Post graduate courses in four disciplines were initiated in 2003. All degree programmes were accredited in 2003 by the All India Council for Technical Education, and an impact assessment and review were conducted by Educational Consultants India in 2004. The institute was previously affiliated to Punjab Technical University. However, it was later accorded the status of Deemed to be University during the year 2007-08.
The Board of Governors of SLIET is under the SLIET Society, and headed by the Punjab chief secretary and Ministry of Human Resource Development officials. The Administration Section of SLIET, Longowal is headed by a Dy. Registrar and function under the overall supervision of the Registrar and Director.
SLIET receives its funding from the government, student fees and research funding by industry-sponsored projects.
SLIET is located 19 Kilometers(11mile) east of Sangrur. It is situated on 451 acres of land provided by the Punjab government. The property is landscaped and well maintained to provide for an aesthetically pleasing environment.
Clubs and Student Forums
SLIET has various clubs & student forums which span a range of interests among students. The clubs come under the purview of the Student Faculty Welfare. Each club is represented by a coordinator who co-ordinates the activities of the respective club.
There are 14 hostels (10 boys and 4 girls). The hostels are named after Indian scientists.
|University and college rankings|
|Engineering – India|
|Medical - India|
|Business – India|
SLIET is ranked as the 56th best Engineering College of India in National Institutional Ranking Framework published by Ministry of Human Resource Development in April 2016.
- MHRD University Report 2012 (DCF - I)
- "NAAC Accreditation List". NAAC.
- "Institute History". Ministry of Human Resource Development. Retrieved 2 April 2016.
- "Sikh Leader in Punjab Accord Assassinated". Los Angeles Times. 21 August 1985. Retrieved 23 January 2016.
- "Punjab Colleges > Sliet".
- "SLIET students violent protest". The Times of India. Retrieved 7 May 2013.
- "Powers and duties of Officers and Employees". Sant longowal Institute of Engineering & Technology. Retrieved 9 Jan 2012.
- "Deemed University Status". The Tribune.
- "Academic rules". SLIET Academic Dept.
- "Sliet Brochure(2013)" (PDF). sliet.ac.in. Retrieved 2013.
- "About the Institute". Sant Longowal Institute of Engineering and Technology, Longowal. Retrieved March 7, 2016.
- "National Institutional Ranking Framework 2016". Ministry of Human Resource Development. 2016.
- "HRD Ministry announces universities ranking, IIT Madras and IIM Bangalore top the list".
- "Engineering (Research and Teaching)". mhrd. April 2016.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Sant Longowal Institute of Engineering and Technology.|