This article needs additional citations for verification. (December 2006) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Single by Eartha Kitt|
|B-side||"Under the Bridges of Paris"|
|Released||October 2, 1953|
|Label||RCA Victor (47–5502)|
|Eartha Kitt singles chronology|
"Santa Baby" was originally recorded by Eartha Kitt with Henri René and his orchestra in New York City, in July 1953. It was released by RCA Victor Records as catalog number 20-5502 (in the USA), and by EMI on the His Master's Voice label as catalog number B 10728. The song was a huge hit for Kitt, and she later said that it was one of her favorite songs to record; she reprised it in the 1954 film New Faces. Kitt re-recorded the song for Kapp Records in 1963, using a more uptempo arrangement (Madonna's popular rendition for the 1987 charity album A Very Special Christmas was based on this latter version). In 1954, Kitt recorded a new version of the song with new lyrics titled "This Year's Santa Baby" to no commercial success. Writers listed did not change.
In December 2010, Kylie Minogue's version of the song reached #76 in the UK due to download sales and reached a new peak of #72 in 2016. It was first released as a b-side to her 2000 single "Please Stay" (released in December of that year), which charted #10 a b-side to her version of the Christmas classic "Let It Snow". Both were released during December 2010 on iTunes on A Kylie Christmas. On 23 December 2010, Kylie released the video for "Santa Baby" via YouTube. The song is also featured on Minogue's 2015 album Kylie Christmas. Minogue's version of the song is featured in the 2006 film The Holiday.
Ashanti released a cover version of the song on her Christmas album called A Wonderful Christmas With Ashanti in 2013.
|United States (RIAA)||Gold||500,000^|
*sales figures based on certification alone
- "The Top 40 Christmas Oldies Songs and Holiday Music – #8". Oldies.about.com. 2012-04-10. Retrieved 2012-06-02.
- "Interview with Santa Baby Songwriter, Philip Springer". MusicNotes Blog. November 26, 2008. Retrieved September 23, 2017.
- "Santa Baby | ACE Repertory". ASCAP. Retrieved September 23, 2017.
- RCA Victor Records in the 20-5000 to 20–5999 series
- "American single certifications – Eartha Kitt – Santa Baby". Recording Industry Association of America. Retrieved January 4, 2017. If necessary, click Advanced, then click Format, then select Single, then click SEARCH