Santa Clara Valley Open Space Authority
||Parts of this article (those related to name change) need to be updated. (July 2015)|
The Santa Clara Valley Open Space Authority (OSA) is an independent special district in Santa Clara County, California, U.S. A bill signed by Governor Wilson in 1992, SB2027, created the district as the Santa Clara County Open Space Preserve as of February 1, 1993. In 2015, Governor Jerry Brown signed California Senate Bill SB422 to rename the authority with "Valley" instead of "County."  The OSA serves areas of the county outside the Midpeninsula Regional Open Space District with the exception of Gilroy. The OSA uses $4.2 million per year from a $12-per-parcel property-tax assessment to hire rangers and to open land to the public.
The Open Space Authority currently owns or manages the following properties:
- Sierra Vista Open Space Preserve
- Coyote Ridge Open Space Preserve
- Coyote Valley Open Space Preserve
- Rancho Cañada del Oro Open Space Preserve
- "About OSA.". Santa Clara County Open Space Authority. Retrieved 2014-09-07.
Santa Clara County Open Space Authority is an independent special district – rather than a part of county government – and is governed by an elected board of directors.
- Staff (July 18, 2015). "Internal Affairs: The word 'Valley' gives agency a new meaning". San Jose Mercury News.
- "About OSA. History.". Santa Clara County Open Space Authority. Retrieved 2014-09-07.
The new district would be a key part of a comprehensive, long-range strategy for protecting the county’s future quality of life by preserving the overall quality of the environment.
- Paul Rogers (July 19, 2014, updated July 24, 2014). "Silicon Valley open space tax heading toward November ballot". San Jose Mercury News. Retrieved 2014-09-07.
The agency also has $26 million left from the 2008 Supreme Court settlement. But when that money runs out...it won't be able to hire more rangers or open more of its lands to the public -- and only about 7,500 acres are open now.Check date values in:
- "Open Space Authority Trails and Preserves". Santa Clara Valley Open Space District. Retrieved 20 May 2016.
- "The Future Coyote Ridge Open Space Preserve". Santa Clara Valley Open Space Authority. 20 May 2016. Retrieved 20 May 2016.
|This Santa Clara County, California-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|