Santa Clara Valley Water District
|Water district overview|
|Preceding agencies||Santa Clara Valley Water Conservation District
Santa Clara County Flood Control and Water Conservation District
|Headquarters||San Jose, California|
|Water district executive||Gary Kremen, Chair of the Board of Directors|
The Santa Clara Valley Water District provides stream stewardship, wholesale water supply and flood protection for Santa Clara County, California, in the southern San Francisco Bay Area. The district encompasses all of the county’s 1,300 square miles (3,400 km2) and serves the area’s 15 cities, 1.8 million residents and more than 200,000 commuters. The district's three water treatment plants can produce as much as 210,000,000 US gallons (800,000 m3) of drinking water a day. Another part of the district's mission is to manage flood and storm waters along the county’s hundreds of miles of creeks and rivers in an environmentally sensitive manner.
The district owns many dams, including:
- Almaden Dam (on Alamitos Creek)
- Calero Dam (forms Calero Reservoir on Calero Creek)
- Coyote Dam (forms Coyote Lake on Coyote Creek)
- Coyote Percolation Dam
- Elmer J. Chesbro Dam (on Llagas Creek)
- James J. Lenihan Dam (forms Lexington Reservoir on Los Gatos Creek)
- Leroy Anderson Dam (on Coyote Creek and Las Animas Creek)
- Rinconada Reservoir
- Stevens Creek Dam (on Stevens Creek)
- Uvas Dam (on Uvas Creek)
- Vasona Percolation Dam (on Los Gatos Creek)
In December 2010 the Santa Clara Valley Water District was chosen as the water agency award recipient for the California Sustainability Alliance's Sustainability Showcase Award. This award honors the District's commitment to sustainability as shown through their award winning water use efficiency and conservation program.
The Santa Clara Valley Water District is governed by 7 elected directors. Gary Kremen, the engineer and entrepreneur who invented online dating, founded the personals site Match.com, was the first registrant of Sex.com, and founded Clean Power Finance, is the Chair of the Board.
- "Dams Within the Jurisdiction of the State of California" (PDF). Retrieved 2009-01-06.
- California Sustainability Alliance, Sustainability Showcase Awards, Received January 31st, 2011
- Santa Clara Valley Water District, WET Program, Received January 31st, 2011
|This water supply–related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|