Santa Fe High School (Alachua, Florida)
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (September 2014) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Santa Fe High School|
|16213 Northwest US Highway 441
Alachua, Florida 32615
|School district||Alachua County Public Schools|
|Teaching staff||45 (FTE)|
|Student to teacher ratio||23.76|
The school mascot was originally the Rebels, but was later changed to the Raiders in 1970 when integration was implemented. The school colors are red and gray.
Beth Leclear is the principal.
Santa Fe offers 19 Advanced Placement courses leading to college credit. It also has a unique program in the Academy of Agriscience. By completing a four-year program in veterinary assisting, students may earn professional certification through the Florida Veterinary Medical Association.
The Santa Fe varsity football team won the Florida High School Athletic Association's Class 3A State Championship in 1991 and the Class 4A State Championship in 1994. In 1975, the baseball won the Class B State Championship. Boys' weightlifting and boys' track have also won state championships.
The "Raider Regiment" marching band has won eight state championships, five consecutively from 1999 to 2003, then again in 2005, 2009 and 2010.
Santa Fe High School has a unique agriculture program that attracts many students across North Florida. Professional certification as an Agriscience Technician and/or Veterinary Assistant (FVMA) may be earned by completing coursework and passing certification exams.
Santa Fe High School has also started a biotechnology program, the first of its kind in Florida and a role model for schools wishing to start their own such programs. It focuses on DNA and protein, as well as biotechnology careers, and features a wide range of unique technology.
- Gina Crews, graduated in 1991; starred in Survivor Marquesas 2002
- Lenny DiNardo, graduated in 1998, was a member of the 2005 World Series Champion Boston Red Sox
- Craig Fugate, Director of the Federal Emergency Management Administration (FEMA)
- Tracy Ham, graduated in 1982; retired Canadian Football League player; inducted into the NCAA Football Hall of Fame in 2007
- Linval Joseph, graduated in 2007; defensive tackle second-round draft pick in the 2010 NFL draft
- Adrian N. Peterson, Chicago Bears running back
- Mike Peterson, Atlanta Falcons middle linebacker
- Shea Showers, football player
- Freddie Solomon, (American football, born 1972)
- "Search for Public Schools - School Detail for Santa Fe High School". ed.gov. Retrieved 7 May 2015.
- Van Hoose, Kara. "Santa Fe High School Marching Band wins first at state championships". www.wuft.org. WUFT NEWS.
- Craig Pittman and Wes Allison (4 March 2009). "Obama nominates Florida's seasoned emergency director Craig Fugate to head FEMA". Tampa Bay Times. Retrieved 23 September 2013.