Santa Margarita Catholic High School
|Santa Margarita Catholic High School|
Love of Christ
|22062 Antonio Parkway
Rancho Santa Margarita, California, 92688
|Religious affiliation(s)||Roman Catholic|
|Patron saint(s)||St. Margaret Mary Alacoque|
|Authority||The Diocese of Orange|
|Asst. Principal||Tom Smith, Sean Basford, Shawna Pautsch|
|Chaplain||Reverend Randy Sampinto|
|Average class size||395, average class size of 28|
|Student to teacher ratio||16:1 student to teacher ratio|
|Campus size||42 acres (170,000 m2)|
|Color(s)||Blue & Gold|
|Fight song||Notre Dame Victory March|
|Athletics conference||CIF-SS:PAC5:Trinity League|
|Accreditation||Western Association of Schools and Colleges|
|National ranking||No. 27 for private high schools in the nation by the Washington Post|
|Average SAT scores||560 (Critical Reading)
|Average ACT scores||26.4 (English)
24.9 (Science Reasoning)
|Newspaper||The Eagle Eye |
|Tuition||$13,425 Registered Catholic, $14,885 Non Catholic (2015-2016)|
|Vice President||Lucretia Dominguez|
Santa Margarita Catholic High School (abbreviated as SMCHS) is a coeducational college preparatory Roman Catholic high school located in Rancho Santa Margarita, California, United States. SMCHS is owned and operated by the Diocese of Orange, and was opened in 1987 under the direction of the Bishop of Orange. Although it follows the Catholic tradition, admission is open to students of all faiths. As of the fall 2015 semester, 1,755 students were enrolled in grades 9 through 12. SMCHS opened in the fall of 1987, the first Catholic high school to serve South Orange County. Its 42-acre (170,000 m2) campus is adjacent to the San Francisco Solano parish church. Prominent features include a chapel with a bell tower and chimes, and the Von der Ahe Pavilion. Other facilities include a library/media center, four academic buildings, an administration building, a gymnasium, athletic fields, an aquatics center, and tennis courts. Santa Margarita Catholic High School is accredited by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges. SMCHS is also an International Baccalaureate World School, and it offers Advanced Placement (AP) courses and exams. SMCHS also offers a comprehensive Auxiliary Studies Program (ASP) to help students who learn differently. The Class of 2015 earned $30 million in scholarship offers.
Groundbreaking for the school was held on April 18, 1986. It opened with 216 students on September 2, 1987. The three-story "G" building was completed in 1990.
The Eagle Athletic Center opened in May 2010. The center is the first LEED-certified building in the Diocese of Orange and in Rancho Santa Margarita. In August 2011 the school opened its new $10.3 million 2-story, LEED-certified academic building, that houses a permanent 3,700 square foot television studio, new counseling offices and ASP classrooms, and a second story completely devoted to World Language classrooms. A "Talon Theatre" is planned that would replace the "Eagle Dome" that is currently used for talent productions.
Admission to Santa Margarita Catholic High School is based on academic transcripts, activities, and the High School Placement Test. The results of the exam are used to help place students in the most appropriate classes for their freshman year. The admissions process includes: the application process, review of academic transcripts, review of standardized testing results, recommendation letters from the students' Math teacher, English Teacher, and Principal/School Counselor, and participation in activities. Prospective Students are encouraged to shadow a current SMCHS student. Incoming freshman students spend the day at Santa Margarita with a current SMCHS freshman with similar interests.
Santa Margarita Catholic High School offers awards in the form of financial assistance and scholarships – these are awards that do not have to be repaid. Santa Margarita awards financial assistance and privately funded scholarships to students based on need, academic excellence, leadership, service, talent and other criteria. Financial assistance, combined with SMCHS scholarships can provide up to 50% of the cost of tuition at SMCHS.
A variety of courses are offered to students, which gives each student the opportunity to take courses fit to his/her individual strengths. SMCHS offers numerous Honors courses, Advanced Placement courses, an International Baccalaureate program, an Interdisciplinary Triad Program, and an Auxiliary Studies Program for students with mild learning differences. Along with this curriculum, SMCHS also offers a Model United Nations (MUN)  program as part of the Honors History department and an Arts and Dance program that encompasses various branches of the performing arts and art classes.
The spiritual aspect of Santa Margarita is developed within students through religious education classes, school wide masses, and various retreats throughout the year. The retreat experience culminates with Kairos, a retreat specifically for seniors. Each student also works to fulfill Christian Service projects each year which are undertaken in the students’ religion classes.
SMCHS's graduation requirements prepares students to be involved citizens of the world. Students must successfully complete a minimum of 270 credits of course work to graduate from SMCHS. Included within credits completed satisfactorily are the following course requirements:
Students are expected to meet all Christian Service obligations before graduation. SMCHS provides students with the opportunity to be involved with different Campus Ministry activities. There are grade level retreats and campus retreats, Kairos, Peer Ministry, and several school wide masses throughout the year.
SMCHS has several extra-curricular activities on campus. These activities include ASB/Student Council, Color Guard, Drama Productions, Mock Trial, and Pep Squad.
Co-curricular activities: Choir, Dance Team, Debate and Argument, Band (Eagle Regiment), Eagle Television (ETV Public Address Morning Announcements), Journalism (The Eagle Eye Newspaper), Model United Nations, Mock Trial, Orchestra, and Yearbook.
SMCHS has a variety of Clubs and Service Organizations. Some of which include:
- American Cancer Society
- Chinese Club
- Classics Society Club
- Conservation 4 Good
- Culture Exchange Club
- Cystic Fibrosis Awareness Club
- Defeat Diabetes
- Eagles for CHOC
- Environment Protection
- Film Club
- International Relations
- Junior State of America
- Mandala Creative Writing Club
- Microfinance Team
- Opera Club
- Project Caritas
- Red Cross Club
- Swim for Life
- Table Tennis Club
- Third World First
Santa Margarita Catholic High School's athletic teams, known as the Eagles, compete in the Trinity League. SMCHS also offers club sports including ice hockey, roller hockey and equestrian. Since 1991, the Eagles have captured 187 league titles, 56 CIF titles, four Southern California Regional titles and 8 State Champion titles. In addition to those team successes, SMCHS has produced over 51 individual CIF Champions and over 38 CIF Players of the Year. On December 10, 2011 Santa Margarita captured its third CIF title in football. On December 16, 2011 they played in the Division 1 state championship game, winning 42-37.
SMCHS has produced many distinguished athletes such as Heisman Trophy winner Carson Palmer, Olympic gold medalist and winner of the 2015 FIFA Women's World Cup Amy Rodriguez, Outland Trophy recipient Kris Farris, and recipient of the Walter Payton Award and Atlanta Falcons wide receiver Brian Finneran.
SMCHS participates in 14 sports: football, volleyball, basketball, soccer, water polo, cross country, golf, tennis, wrestling, baseball, softball, lacrosse, track and field, and swimming.
- Dominic Barnes - television actor currently starring in Glee
- Kristin Cavallari, actress and designer, before transferring to Laguna Beach High School
- Kelly Crean, actress
- Ryan Eggold - Television actor was on the new 90210. and currently starring on The Blacklist.
- Kris Farris, football player
- Erika Figge - Member of the United States women's national water polo team, 2007 Pan American Games Gold medalist
- Brian Finneran - National Football League wide receiver currently playing for Atlanta Falcons
- Beau Hossler - Amateur golfer, finished 29th at 2012 U.S. Open
- Michael Hoyos - Argentine soccer player
- Jared Hughes - MLB pitcher for the Pittsburgh Pirates
- Ethan Luck - Current drummer for Relient K and for guitarist for the The O.C. Supertones
- Katie McLaughlin - Swimmer
- Carson Palmer - Two-time Pro Bowl National Football League quarterback currently playing for Arizona Cardinals, 2002 Heisman Trophy winner
- Doug Reinhardt - American League baseball player and television personality.
- Mark Restelli - Canadian Football League linebacker currently playing for Edmonton Eskimos
- Chris Rix - Starting quarterback for the Florida State Seminoles (2001–2004), now broadcast announcer for Fox Sports
- Amy Rodriguez - Member of the United States women's national soccer team, 2008 Summer Olympics Gold medalist
- Jason Stiles - American football player
- Klay Thompson - 11th overall pick in the 2011 NBA Draft, currently plays for the Golden State Warriors
- Mychel Thompson - former NBA player for the Cleveland Cavaliers
- Trayce Thompson - baseball player
- "Santa Margarita Welcomes Alumnus as President". Santa Margarita Catholic High School. 17 August 2014. Retrieved 1 September 2014.
- Ritchie, Erika L. (September 8, 2012). "Quarter-century of achievement". The Orange County Register. p. Local 3.
- WASC-ACS. "WASC-Accrediting Commission for Schools". Retrieved 2009-06-05.
- "The Eagle Eye Advisor- Student Newspaper"
- http://www.rcbo.org/departments/catholic-schools.html , Catholic Schools
- http://www.smhs.org/history.jsp , SMCHS History
- http://www.ocregister.com/news/scholarship-252515-offers-students.html , "Seniors get $19.3 million in scholarship offers"
- http://www.ocregister.com/news/center-248548-foot-percent.html?pic=13 , "Bishop blesses $8.7 million athletic facility"
- http://www.smhs.org/ourpages/admissions/placement.jsp , Placement Exam
- http://www.smhs.org/ourpages/admissions/process.jsp , Admissions Process and Application
- http://www.ocregister.com/articles/school-195267-santa-margarita.html , "Santa Margarita Catholic offers academic diversity"
- http://www.ocregister.com/news/school-226344-margarita-santa.html?pic=3 , "Students return from Paris with awards"
- http://www.smhs.org/apps/pages/index.jsp?uREC_ID=80785&type=d , Academic Programs
- http://www.smhs.org/school_profile.jsp?navGroup=1 , "Religious Education and Formation"
- http://www.smhs.org/ourpages/academics/academic_policies.jsp , Graduation Requirements
- http://www.smhs.org/ourpages/campus_ministry/index.jsp?navGroup=4 , Campus Ministry
- http://www.smhs.org/ourpages/activities/extra_curricular.jsp , Extra-Curricular Activities
- http://www.smhs.org/ourpages/activities/co_curricular.jsp , Co-Curricular Activities
- http://www.smhs.org/ourpages/activities/clubs.jsp , Clubs and Service Organizations
- http://club.moonboogie.com, "SMCHS Film Club Website"
- http://www.ocregister.com/news/water-254201-children-swim.html , "Two SMCHS students raise water safety awareness"
- http://www.thirdworldfirstclub.org , "Third World First Website"
- http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/sports_blog/2010/07/three-oc-high-schools-join-anaheim-ducks-hockey-league-.html , "Three OC high schools join Anaheim Ducks' hockey league"
- http://www.smhs.org/ourpages/athletics/index.jsp , Athletics
- http://www.ocregister.com/news/margarita-230642-coach-welch.html , "New football coach at SMCHS"
- http://ocvarsity.freedomblogging.com/2010/06/05/softball-eagles-claim-first-championship-in-wild-finish/114903/ , "Eagles claim first championship in wild finish"
- "O.C. extras on 'Glee' try for full-time roles". The Orange County Register. April 26, 2010. Retrieved September 13, 2012.
- http://www.usawaterpolo.org/NationalTeams/PlayerBio.aspx?ID=23 , Erika Figge bio
- http://www.nfl.com/players/brianfinneran/profile?id=FIN583520 , Brian Finneran bio
- Jim Seimas, "Teen Hossler earns way into our hearts at U.S. Open", Santa Cruz Sentinel, June 18, 2012.
- http://www.nfl.com/players/carsonpalmer/profile?id=PAL249055 , Carson Palmer bio
- http://www.esks.com/roster/show/id/2435 , Mark Restelli bio
- http://soccer.teamusa.org/athletes/amy-rodriguez , Amy Rodriguez bio