Santa Maria High School
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (October 2008) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Santa Maria High School|
|901 S. Broadway
Santa Maria, California
Santa Maria, California 93454
|School district||Santa Maria Joint Union High School District|
|Student to teacher ratio||30:1 teacher to student ratio|
|Campus size||33.33 acres|
|Color(s)||Red and white|
|Mascot||Sammy The Saint|
Santa Maria High School is one of the four primary high schools in the city of Santa Maria, California, the United States. Located in the heart of the city, Santa Maria High School is the oldest school in the Santa Maria Valley and is part of the oldest high school district in California. The Santa Maria Joint Union High School District was founded on June 6, 1893. Built originally on the corner of Broadway and Morrison in 1892, the original school house sat on what is now the Ethel Pope Auditorium. In 1920 the present day school was built. The administration building and Ethel Pope Auditorium connected and featured a bell tower. But due to strict earthquake codes enforced after the 1971 Sylmar earthquake, portions of the school was condemned and demolished. The only original structures that remain are the Administration offices, the Auditorium, and the Choir, Science, Journalism, and English hall. In 1996 Santa Maria High was recognized as a California Distinguished School.
Santa Maria High School's mascot is Sammy, the Saint. CIF Athletic championships include football, boys and girls basketball, boys water polo(1991) and most recently boys soccer(2005 Division IV).
Dean of Girls Ethel Pope is possibly the most recognized teacher in SMHS history, both for her teaching and for starting the school newspaper, The Breeze which first published in 1924 and is still in existence today.
In 2007 Santa Maria High school became a closed campus (meaning students were not allowed outside of school grounds for lunch). The only exception to this rule is for seniors with passing grades and no financial fees. SMHS' new cafeteria now serves meals and is a gathering place for students at lunch.
Santa Maria High School has remodeled and added on sections in recent years including a new library, pool, health center, and cafeteria. Dave Boyd Field has also been renovated with a new synthetic turf and track, home stands and press box. The new stadium has been dedicated to longtime athletic director Ralph Baldiviez.
On May 28, 2016, presidential candidate Bernie Sanders rallied at Wilson Stadium(Football Field).
College Board 2004 Inspiration Award
- John Rudometkin, 1962 University of Southern California All-American and former NBA player
- Abel Maldonado, American politician who served as the 48th Lieutenant Governor of California
- Owen W. Siler, served as the fifteenth Commandant of the United States Coast Guard from 1974 to 1978.
- Fred "Spec" Haslam, 1933 UCLA All-America football player
- "Rusty" Gill, 1932 Univ. of California All-America football player
- Francisco Jimenez, Author and Santa Clara University professor
- "ABEL MALDONADO'S VOTING RECORDS". Project Vote Smart. Retrieved December 27, 2012.
- "OBITUARY: ADM. OWEN W. SILER". US Department of Homeland Security. Retrieved December 27, 2012.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Santa Maria High School.|
- Santa Maria Joint Union High School District
- My High School Journalism
- Santa Maria High School
- GreatSchools Inc