Santa Maria in Calanca
|Santa Maria in Calanca|
|• Total||9.31 km2 (3.59 sq mi)|
|Elevation||955 m (3,133 ft)|
|Population (Dec 2015)|
|• Density||11/km2 (28/sq mi)|
|Surrounded by||Braggio, Buseno, Castaneda, Cauco, Grono, Selma, Verdabbio|
Santa Maria in Calanca is first mentioned in 1219 as sancte Marie in Calanca.
Santa Maria in Calanca has an area, as of 2006[update], of 9.3 km2 (3.6 sq mi). Of this area, 5.6% is used for agricultural purposes, while 73.2% is forested. Of the rest of the land, 1.6% is settled (buildings or roads) and the remainder (19.6%) is non-productive (rivers, glaciers or mountains).
The municipality is located in the Calanca sub-district of the Moesa district.
Santa Maria in Calanca has a population (as of 31 December 2015) of 102. As of 2008[update], 4.4% of the population was made up of foreign nationals. Over the last 10 years the population has decreased at a rate of -5.3%. Most of the population (as of 2000[update]) speaks Italian (86.5%), with German being second most common ( 9.9%) and French being third ( 2.7%).
As of 2000[update], the gender distribution of the population was 47.7% male and 52.3% female. The age distribution, as of 2000[update], in Santa Maria in Calanca is; 4 children or 3.6% of the population are between 0 to 9 years old. 2 teenagers or 1.8% are 10 to 14, and 6 teenagers or 5.4% are 15 to 19. Of the adult population, 7 people or 6.3% of the population are between 20 to 29 years old. 14 people or 12.6% are 30 to 39, 21 people or 18.9% are 40 to 49, and 18 people or 16.2% are 50 to 59. The senior population distribution is 14 people or 12.6% of the population are between 60 to 69 years old, 15 people or 13.5% are 70 to 79, there are 9 people or 8.1% who are 80 to 89, and there is 1 person who is 90 to 99.
In Santa Maria in Calanca about 64.6% of the population (between age 25-64) have completed either non-mandatory upper secondary education or additional higher education (either university or a Fachhochschule).
Santa Maria in Calanca has an unemployment rate of 0.15%. As of 2005[update], there were 14 people employed in the primary economic sector and about 8 businesses involved in this sector. 3 people are employed in the secondary sector and there are 2 businesses in this sector. 4 people are employed in the tertiary sector, with 4 businesses in this sector.
The historical population is given in the following table:
Heritage sites of national significance
- Arealstatistik Standard - Gemeindedaten nach 4 Hauptbereichen
- Swiss Federal Statistical Office - STAT-TAB, online database – Ständige und nichtständige Wohnbevölkerung nach institutionellen Gliederungen, Geburtsort und Staatsangehörigkeit (German) accessed 30 August 2016
- Santa Maria in Calanca in German, French and Italian in the online Historical Dictionary of Switzerland.
- Swiss Federal Statistical Office accessed 22-Oct-2009
- Graubunden Population Statistics (German) accessed 21 September 2009
- Graubunden in Numbers (German) accessed 21 September 2009
- Swiss inventory of cultural property of national and regional significance 21.11.2008 version, (German) accessed 22-Oct-2009
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Santa Maria in Calanca.|