This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Santa Wheels is a volunteer program created in 1995 by Master Pontiac-Buick-GMC and re-launched in 2006 in Augusta, Georgia, United States. A combination of non-profit and business organizations, including Master Buick-GMC, Master Chevrolet-Cadillac, Goodwill Industries of Middle GA & the CSRA, Safe Kids East Central, and Andy Jordan's Bicycle Warehouse, cooperate to encourage deserving children, in the Central Savannah River Area (CSRA), including the communities of Augusta, Martinez, Evans, North Augusta, and other cities, with the gift of a single-speed bicycle, helmet and safety education during the month of December. The program supports job training of workers seeking to enter or reenter the workforce by utilizing Goodwill Industries of Middle Georgia and the CSRA's training and mentoring program to repair and recondition donated bicycles.
From 1995 until 1998 hundreds of bicycles were distributed to children, providing encouragement and a positive holiday season for deserving children. In 2006 the concept of a bicycle rodeo was utilized to distribute 153 bicycles, safety helmets and safety training. The children and parents are introduced to the safety training available through the organization Safe Kids and the large number of lifesaving resources they have assembled and disseminate each day.
During 2006 and 2007 over 20 homeless veterans were exposed to job training through the Santa Wheels program.
In December 2011, more than 200 bicycles were distributed to needy children in the CSRA.
- Anderson, Jeff (2007-12-05). "OYS Santa Wheels". The WRDW News Channel 12. Retrieved 2007-12-10.
- Rines, Bob (1996-12-20). "New wheels for Christmas". The Augusta Chronicle. Retrieved 2007-08-29.
- Steel, Debbie (1997-12-28). "Refurbishing bikes brings excitement to employees". The Augusta Chronicle. Retrieved 2007-08-29.
- MacIntire, Jerry (2006-12-06). "Program gives bikes to kids". The Augusta Chronicle. Retrieved 2007-08-29.
- Hornstein, Teri (2011-12-19). "Needy children ride away with big gifts". WFXG Fox 54. Retrieved 2011-12-21.