Type of site
|Launched||August 2, 2018|
|Creative Commons Attribution/|
Share-Alike 3.0 (most text also dual-licensed under GFDL)
Media licensing varies
The Santali Wikipedia (Santali: ᱥᱟᱱᱛᱟᱲᱤ ᱣᱤᱠᱤᱯᱤᱰᱤᱭᱟ) is the Santali language version of Wikipedia, run by the Wikimedia Foundation. The site was launched on 2 August 2018. Santali language's own alphabet, Ol Chiki, has been used as the alphabet of this Wikipedia. Santali is a language in the Munda subfamily of Austroasiatic languages, spoken by around 7.4 million people in South Asia (Bangladesh, India, Bhutan and Nepal).
The process of creating a Santali-language Wikipedia began in 2012 and, later on, picked up momentum in February 2017.  Back in 2012, Wikimedia Bangladesh organized a Wikipedia meetup and workshop with the Santali Language Community in Dinajpur District of Bangladesh with the goal of launching a Santali Language Wikipedia. However, that process slowed after some time.
Then in September 2017, Wikimedia Bangladesh organized another meeting with the Santali Language Community in a Dhaka Wikipedia meetup where a decision was made to expedite the launch of the Wikipedia.  Following that discussion, a workshop was organized in Dhaka by Wikimedia Bangladesh for the Santali-language community on 30 December 2017.  The Santali-language community from India also participated in that program through online discussion. Subsequently, another workshop was organized for the Santali-language community in Odisha, India, on 11 March 2018 in collaboration with the Odia Wikimedians User Group.
Users and editors
|Number of user accounts||Number of articles||Number of files||Number of administrators|
- উইকিপিডিয়ায় সাঁওতালি ভাষা. Bangla Tribune (in Bengali).
- উইকিপিডিয়ায় সাঁওতালি ভাষা. Samakal (in Bengali).
- Tanvi, Patel (10 August 2018). "This Tribal Language Just Became India's First to Have Wikipedia Edition in Own Script!". The Better India.
- "Santhali becomes India's first tribal language to get own Wikipedia edition". Hindustan Times. 9 August 2018.
- ক্ষুদ্রজাতির ভাষায় বিশ্বকোষ - কালের কণ্ঠ. Kaler Kantho (in Bengali).
- Bhandari, Tannistha. নজির গড়ে উইকিপিডিয়ায় স্বীকৃতি পেল সাঁওতালি ভাষা. kolkata24x7.com (in Bengali).
|Santali edition of Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia|
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Santali Wikipedia.|