Santana High School
|Santana High School|
|9915 Magnolia Avenue
|Type||Public comprehensive secondary|
|Motto||"Home of Scholars and Champions"|
|School district||Grossmont Union High School District|
|Color(s)||Purple, Gold and White|
|Accreditation||Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC)|
|Website||Santana High School|
On March 5, 2001, fifteen-year-old Charles Andrew Williams killed two, and wounded thirteen at Santana High School. Bryan Zuckor, a fellow student, was the first killed, as he and another student, Trevor Edwards, were shot in the bathroom where Williams began. Williams then exited the bathroom and headed for the Santana High School quad, where he opened fire on surrounding students and faculty. There, he fatally shot another student, Randy Gordon, and wounded twelve others (ten students and two staff). Williams then returned to the bathroom where he continued shooting at students,money to later surrender to the police.
Personal accounts of the events relate the initial confusion during the incident, describing the sound of the shots as "like firecrackers". Panic followed as people began to realize what was happening. Witnesses also describe Williams as "smiling" during the shooting. Referring to the chaos after the shooting, one parent remarked, "They just don't have a system to handle this." Students and faculty were evacuated to a nearby shopping center, and local businesses and churches helped to handle students and parents. Others also said that they heard him saying, weeks before the shootings, that he was "going to pull a Columbine".
He was apprehended by police in the same bathroom in which he started. He was later sentenced 50 years to life and will be eligible for parole in 2052.
|This section does not cite any references or sources. (October 2009)|
- Sharon Davis, 1972, former First Lady of California
- Terry Forster, 1970, retired Major League Baseball Relief Pitcher (MLB), Chicago White Sox, Los Angeles Dodgers
- Hayden Penn, 2002, Major League Baseball Pitcher (MLB), Baltimore Orioles, currently on the Pittsburgh Pirates
- Leon Bender, 1992, Professional Football Defensive Lineman (NFL), Oakland Raiders
- Joe Price, Major League Baseball pitcher
- Grossmont Union High School District - school mascots and colors
- List of California Distinguished Schools in San Diego County
- LA Times: Often Ridiculed, the Suspect Said, 'I'll Show You One Day'
- Keys to Safer Schools: 2 Dead at Santana High School, 13 others injured