This article contains content that is written like an advertisement. (February 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Narayanan at Kadugu premiere (2017)
|Born||15 May 1983|
Tiruchirappalli, Tamil Nadu, India
|Occupation(s)||Composer, music producer, arranger, singer, music director|
|Instruments||vocals, piano, keyboard|
|Associated acts||La Pongal|
Santhosh Narayanan was born in Srirangam (Trichy), India. He is the youngest of two children. He was educated at RSK Higher Secondary School, Tiruchirappalli. Santhosh Narayanan completed his B.E., Computer Science & Engineering at J. J. College of Engineering and Technology, Tiruchirapalli. After completing his education, He worked as a recording engineer, arranger and programmer, before beginning to produce independent music and compose for films. He composed the music including two original songs for the Telugu short film Advaitham, He was also part of the contemporary folk music band "La Pongal" in which he performed in a few live shows in 2009.
2012–2013: Debut success
He made his debut as an independent music director in the 2012 Tamil film Attakathi directed by Pa. Ranjith. He got the opportunity through its producer C. V. Kumar who saw him working in his studio. Santhosh composed a song in the Gaana genre for the film, "Aadi Pona Aavani", and gave a then-unknown Gana Bala, who had been singing gaana songs at funerals till then, the chance to sing it. Along with "Aadi Pona Aavani", a second gaana song, "Nadukadalula Kappala" was recorded for the film. Both songs went on to become popular, making Gana Bala a star, and were said to have brought back gaana to Tamil cinema. Sify wrote that the gaana songs were "one of the major highlight of the film" and Behindwoods called the Attakathi album an "experimental yet fresh attempt". Following Attakathi, he composed the music for the films Uyir Mozhi and Pizza, the directorial debuts of Raja and Karthik Subbaraj, respectively. All three albums, Attakathi, Uyir Mozhi and Pizza were recorded and mastered by Leon Zervos at Studios 301 in Sydney Australia; furthermore, the Sydney Symphony Orchestra had performed for the soundtrack of Pizza, which also saw Santhosh collaborating with Gana Bala again, albeit on a Blues number this time. For Uyir Mozhi, some of the songs Santhosh had scored for a private album were used by the director. Santhosh's work in Pizza was positively reviewed. According to Sify, Santhosh Narayanan's music was a "major plus" of the film, and IBN Live described the score as "splendid". The song "Mogathirai" from the soundtrack album was also listed by Indiaglitz.com in their Top songs from 2012 list. Behindwoods at the end of 2012 wrote, "Santosh Narayanan brought a different sound to Tamil cinema this year. Even his gaana tracks in Attakathi were freshly produced and the soundtrack of Pizza was eclectic to say the least". He also won accolades that year: the Jaya TV 2012 award for Sensational Debutant Music Director for Attakathi, and the Big Tamil Melody Award for Best Debut Music director for Pizza. He worked on the black comedy film Soodhu Kavvum directed by the Director Nalan Kumarasamy next. Gana Bala was given a "gana-rap" in the film, "Kaasu Panam", which went on to become one of the most popular songs of the year. His work in the film earned him the Vijay Award for Best Background Score. His other releases of 2013 were Pizza 2: The Villa, a sequel to Pizza, and Billa Ranga, his first Telugu and only full-fledged Telugu project till date.
Santhosh Narayanan worked exclusively on Tamil films. He had four soundtracks released that year, the first being the album to the romantic drama Cuckoo. Cuckoo's soundtrack was highly appreciated by critics who called it an "alluring and immersive album" and "the best soundtrack that composer Santhosh Narayanan has produced yet". The song "Manasula Soora Kaathey" from the album reached number one position in the Tunes all India charts, while Outlook named it one of South India's top songs of the year. The score received equal praise with Baradwaj Rangan terming it as "great", IANS as "life-affirming", Rediff as "sensational" and Sify as "outstanding". The next release was Karthik Subbaraj's second directorial, Jigarthanda, which was promoted as a "musical gangster story". While Cuckoo featured live instrumentation, Santhosh Narayanan used electronic musical instruments for the recording in Jigarthanda, who recorded almost all the songs in a studio in Sydney, Australia for nearly two months. The soundtrack and score featured a melange and fusion of several genres, including Gangsta rap, folk, electro. His work was well received again; while The Times of India, in its album review, wrote that "Santhosh Narayanan shows, yet again, that he is one of those composers to watch out for — both for his new sounds and tunes", The Hindu's Baradwaj Rangan stated that "his flamboyant score imbues even the weaker scenes with a Tarantinoesque swagger". After Jigarthanda, he worked on the action-drama film Madras. The Hindu described his score as "excellent". The soundtrack to Enakkul Oruvan, the Tamil remake of the Kannada film Lucia, for which he had composed the score, was his final 2014 release. The album was also lauded by critics. Behindwoods named him the "most promising among the younger composers".
In 2015, he worked on 36 Vayadhinile, the Tamil remake of the Malayalam film How Old Are You. Upcoming projects of Santhosh Narayanan include the next films of directors Karthik Subbaraj and Nalan Kumarasamy. In 2016, he composed songs for Sudha Kongara's bilingual sports drama Irudhi Suttru(filmed simultaneously in Hindi as Saala Khadoos). The Hindi adaptation film, "Saala Khadoos" however did not feature background score by Santhosh as Rajkumar Hirani , the co-producer of the film brought in composers Sanjay Wandrekar and Atul Raninga who had worked with him in 3 Idiots and PK to compose the background score. Kashmora to be directed by Gokul, and Manithan were his other noted released in 2016 apart from Kabali, the biggest Tamil project so far in his career. In 2016, a music critic from The Hindu labelled Narayanan as one of the three in "the new-age musical trio of Tamil cinema" alongside Sean Roldan and Pradeep Kumar.
2016 – present
The year 2016 was one of the most packed years for Santhosh Narayanan. Six releases during the year including music compositions for Iruthi Suttru, Manithan, Kadhalum Kadanthu Pogum, Iraivi, Kabali, Kaashmora, Kodi. In 2017, he composed for the Vijay-starrer Bairavaa. He composed the album for Server Sundaram while the film remains unreleased to date. Santhosh next composed for Meyaadha Maan, a production venture of Karthik Subba'raj. In May 2017, Santhosh signed for Kaala, his second film for Superstar Rajinikanth.In 2018 he gave Bgm to India's first silent thriller film Mercury (film) and Vetrimaaran's Vada Chennai (Santhosh's 25th movie).After a one year gap he returned in 2020 with new projects which were Kasada Thapara,Jeeva starrer Gypsy (2020 film),Amazon prime webfilm Penguin (film),Dhanush Starrer Jagame Thandhiram and Chiyaan Vikram 60th Film.
- As solo composer
|Year||Tamil||Other Languages||Dubbed Releases||Notes||Music Label|
|2012||Attakathi||Think Music India|
|Uyir Mozhi||Film unreleased||Saregama|
|Pizza||"Pizza" (Telugu)||Think Music India|
|2013||Soodhu Kavvum||Vijay Award for Best Background Score
Nominated—Vijay Award for Best Music Director
Nominated—South Indian International Movie Award for Best Music Director
|Think Music India|
|Pizza 2: The Villa||"Pizza 2: The Villa" (Telugu)||Think Music India|
|Billa Ranga • (Telugu)||Think Music India|
|2014||Cuckoo||Mirchi Award For Best Album of the Year||Think Music India|
|Jigarthanda||"Chikkadu Dorakadu" (Telugu)||Vijay Award for Best Background Score||Think Music India|
|Madras||Think Music India|
|2015||Enakkul Oruvan||"Naalo Okkadu" (Telugu)||Think Music India|
|36 Vayathinile||Think Music India|
|2016||Iruthi Suttru||Saala Khadoos (Hindi)
|Simultaneously made in Tamil and Hindi languages.
Background score composed by Sanjay Wandrekar & Atul Raninga.
Film remade in Telugu later.
|Kadhalum Kadandhu Pogum||Sony Music India|
|Manithan||Sony Music India|
|Iraivi||Sony Music India|
|Kabali||"Kabali" (Telugu) (Hindi) (Malay)||Think Music India|
|Kodi||Dhwaja♦# (Kannada)||The Kannada remake has reused some of Santhosh's tunes from Kodi, while also featuring new compositions and film score by another composer.||Sony Music India|
|Kaashmora||"Kaashmora" (Telugu)||Think Music India|
|2017||Bairavaa||"Agent Bairavaa" (Telugu)||Lahari Music|
|Meyaadha Maan||Think Music India|
|Server Sundaram||Film unreleased||Think Music India|
|2018||Kaala||'Kaala (Telugu, Hindi)||Wunderbar Films|
|Mercury||A Silent Thriller Movie||Saregama|
|Pariyerum Perumal||Think Music India|
|Vada Chennai||25th Film||Wunderbar Films|
|2019||A1||Think Music India|
|Otha Seruppu Size 7||One song only.|
|2020||Penguin||Penguin (Telugu)||Penguin (Malayalam)|
|Karnan (Dhanush - Maari Selvaraj film)||Pre-production|
- As additional composer
|Year||Tamil||Other Languages||Dubbed Releases||Notes||Music Label|
|2009||Nenu Meeku Telusa...? (Telugu)||Additional background score Only|
|2013||Lucia||Additional Background Score Only. (Opted out after composing 2 themes)|
- "Band musicians turn composers in Tamil films". The Times of India.
- "Metro Plus Kochi : Short takes to success". The Hindu. 26 July 2010. Retrieved 30 November 2013.
- "Audio Beat: Attakathi". The Hindu. 21 January 2012. Retrieved 30 November 2013.
- "'Atta Kathi' music composer ready with first 'unofficial album'". The New Indian Express.
- UDHAV NAIG. "Gaga over gaana". The Hindu.
- "Gana makes a comeback ". The Times of India. 20 April 2013. Retrieved 30 November 2013.
- "Movie Review : Attakathi". Sify. Retrieved 30 November 2013.
- "Atta Kathi Music Review – Atta Kathi Music Review". Behindwoods. Retrieved 30 November 2013.
- S. R. Ashok Kumar (21 January 2012). "Audio Beat: Attakathi". The Hindu. Retrieved 30 November 2013.
- "'Pizza' will be a musical treat to the audience". CNN IBN. Retrieved 30 November 2013.
- S. R. Ashok Kumar. "Audio Beat: Uyirmozhi". The Hindu.
- "Movie Review : Pizza". Sify. Retrieved 30 November 2013.
- "'Pizza' Review: This Tamil film will keep you glued to your seat". IBNLive.
- "Top songs from 2012 ". IndiaGlitz. 29 December 2012. Retrieved 30 November 2013.
- "15. Santosh Narayanan | Top 25 Music Directors in Tamil". Behindwoods. Retrieved 30 November 2013.
- "Attakathi bags five awards ". The Times of India. 28 December 2012. Retrieved 6 September 2013.
- Features, Express (19 August 2013). "Melody awards". The New Indian Express. Retrieved 30 November 2013.
- "Gana makes a comeback". The Times of India.
- "5. Kasu Panam – TOP 5 BEST SONGS OF 2013". behindwoods.com.
- "Top Tamil Songs of 2013". Rediff. 18 January 2014.
- "8th Annual Vijay Awards a grand success". The Times of India.
- "Cuckoo (aka) Cuckoo songs review". behindwoods.com.
- "Cuckoo – Music Review (Tamil Movie Soundtrack)-Santhosh Narayanan-Yuga Bharathi-Dinesh-Malavika – Music Aloud". Music Aloud.
- "Santhosh Naryanan pips Anirudh and AR Rahman". The Times of India.
- "2014: Southern Film Songs – Vipin Nair". outlookindia.com.
- Baradwaj Rangan. "Cuckoo: Love is blind". The Hindu.
- "'Cuckoo' – Blinded By Love". The New Indian Express.
- "Review: Cuckoo is brilliant". Rediff. 21 March 2014.
- "Movie Review : Cuckoo". Sify.
- "Will Jigarthanda bring about a change in Kollywood?". Firstpost.
- S. R. Ashok Kumar. "Audio Beat: Jigarthanda – Fusion, folk, rap and more". The Hindu.
- "Music Review: Jigarthanda". The Times of India.
- Baradwaj Rangan. "Jigarthanda: Racket science". The Hindu.
- "'Enakkul Oruvan' Music Review Roundup: Critics Laud Santhosh Narayanan's Consistency [AUDIO]". International Business Times. 10 September 2014.
- "Santhosh Narayanan – 2014's show-stealer". behindwoods.com.
- "Santhosh roped in for 'How Old Are You/' remake". The Times of India.
- "CV Kumar to launch three more movies". Sify.
- "Madhavan gets tough". The Hindu.
- "Santosh Narayanan for Kashmora!". Sify.