|President of Vox|
|Assumed office |
20 September 2014
|Preceded by||Position established|
|Member of the Basque Parliament|
16 January 2004 – 22 February 2005
4 October 2005 – 6 January 2009
Santiago Abascal Conde
14 April 1976
|Political party||People's Party (1994–2013)|
|Spouse(s)||Lidia Bedman (m. 2018)|
|Alma mater||University of Deusto|
Santiago Abascal Conde (born 14 April 1976) is a Spanish sociologist and politician, who has been the leader of the Spanish right-wing party Vox since September 2014. He is a former member of the Basque Parliament, and founder of the Foundation for the Defense of the Spanish Nation.
Personal life and education
Abascal was born in Bilbao. He went on to study sociology at the University of Deusto, completing the degree in 2003. He is the father of four children, two of them with the Spanish maternity blogger Lidia Bedman. Abascal is well-known lover of nature and is a long-time member of the Spanish Ornithological Society.
Initially a member of the People's Party since 1994 Abascal later helped to found a new party, the right-wing VOX. Both Abascal's father (member of People's Party) and grandfather (mayor during Franco's dictatorship) were local politicians in the Álava area. Subsequently, he was elected as the president of Vox in September 2014.
- "Así es Lidia Bedman, la pareja 'egoblogger' de Santiago Abascal, líder de VOX". La Vanguardia. 30 March 2016. Retrieved 16 January 2019.
- "Santiago Abascal". Santiagoabascal.es. Retrieved 16 January 2019.
- "Abascal, el 'ex' del PP que lleva la extrema derecha a la política nacional". Eitb.eus. Retrieved 16 January 2019.
- "Muere Santiago Abascal, exdirigente del PP vasco y padre del líder de VOX". Efe.com. Retrieved 16 January 2019.
- "Santiago Abascal, nuevo presidente de Vox con el 91% de los votos". Publico.es. Retrieved 16 January 2019.
|This article about a Spanish politician is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|