|Born||Santiago Heriberto Mellado
April 6, 1963
|Alma mater||Harvard University|
|Occupation||President and CEO of Compassion International|
Santiago Heriberto Mellado (born April 6, 1963), sometimes known as Jim, Jimmy, or James Mellado, is the President and CEO of Compassion International, a Christian child sponsorship organization dedicated to the long-term development of children living in poverty around the world, which is based in Colorado Springs, Colorado. Mellado previously served as President of the Willow Creek Association (WCA) in South Barrington, Illinois, from 1993 to 2013. He also competed in the 1988 Summer Olympics as a decathlete and is on the board of directors of the Al Oerter Foundation which runs the Art of the Olympians program.
Mellado is a 1991 graduate of Harvard Business School. While a student at Harvard, he wrote a case study on the Willow Creek Community Church which has become a part of the curriculum at Harvard Business School.
Mellado competed in the 1988 Summer Olympics in Seoul, South Korea, representing his birth nation, El Salvador, in the decathlon. He placed 26th, but set national records for the highest-ever performance in the decathlon, men's high jump, 110m high hurdles, and pole vault. The decathlon record still stands as of March 2014.
He and his wife, Leanne, were married in 1986. They have three children and reside in Colorado.
- "Santiago Mellado Bio, Stats, and Results". Sports-Reference.com. Retrieved 2014-03-27.
- "Santiago "Jimmy" Mellado". Compassion International. Retrieved 2014-03-27.
- "Who We Are". Willow Creek Association. Retrieved 2011-12-15.
- "Art of the Olympians | Jimmy Mellado". artoftheolympians.org. Retrieved 2015-12-23.
- Schlesinger, Leonard A.; Mellado, James. Willow Creek Community Church (A).
- "Earthly Empires". BusinessWeek. 2005-05-23. Retrieved 2011-12-15.
- "SMU Athletics: Alumnus Database". Retrieved 2011-12-15.
- Todor Krastev (2009-08-20). "Men Decathlon Olympic Games 1988 Seoul (KOR) - 28,29.09". Retrieved 2014-03-27.
- "Federations Zone / Zona de Federaciones". Retrieved 2014-03-27.