Santipur (community development block)
শান্তিপুর সমষ্টি উন্নয়ন ব্লক
|Community development block|
|• Total||178.98 km2 (69.10 sq mi)|
|Elevation||13 m (43 ft)|
|• Density||1,300/km2 (3,500/sq mi)|
|• Official||Bengali, English|
|• Total literates||158,274 (73.10%)|
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
|PIN||741402 (Fulia Colony)
|Vehicle registration||WB-51, WB-52|
|Lok Sabha constituency||Ranaghat|
|Vidhan Sabha constituency||Santipur, Ranaghat Uttar Paschim|
Santipur is a community development block that forms an administrative division in Ranaghat subdivision of Nadia district in the Indian state of West Bengal. Shantipur police station serves this block. Headquarters of this block is at Fulia Kolony. It is located 21 km from Krishnanagar, the district headquarters.
Phulia is located at.
Santipur CD Block is bounded by Nabadwip and Krishnanagar I CD Blocks in the north, Ranaghat I CD Block in the east, Balagarh CD Block in Hooghly district, across the Hooghly River, in the south, and Kalna I and Kalna II CD Blocks in Bardhaman district, across the Hooghly River, in the west. 
Nadia district is mostly alluvial plains lying to the east of Hooghly River, locally known as Bhagirathi. The alluvial plains are cut across by such distributaries as Jalangi, Churni and Ichhamati. With these rivers getting silted up, floods are a recurring feature.
As per 2011 Census of India Santipur CD Block had a total population of 241,080, of which 154,256 were rural and 86,824 were urban. There were 124,400 (52%) males and 116,680 (48%) females. The population below 6 years was 24,576. Scheduled Castes numbered 99,539 and Scheduled Tribes numbered 3,189.
As per 2001 census, Santipur block had a total population of 217,289, out of which 111,707 were males and 105,582 were females. Santipur block registered a population growth of 29.42 per cent during the 1991-2001 decade. Decadal growth for the district was 19.51 per cent. Decadal growth in West Bengal was 17.84 per cent.
Census towns and large villages
Large villages in Santipur CD Block are (2011 census figures in brackets): Gayespur (5,247), Panpara (5,156), Saguna (7,874), Hijuli (4,146), Baganchara (8,524), Charharipur (5,882), Bankdebipur (P) (4,054), Haripur (4,227), Gobindapur (16,632), Bagdia (4,922), Chandra (5,287), Boalia (6,589) and Goalpur (4,958).
As per 2011 census the total number of literates in Santipur CD Block was 158,274 (73.10 % of the population over 6 years) out of which 87,477 (55%) were males and 70,790 (45%) were females.
|Literacy in CD Blocks of
|Karimpur I – 67.70%|
|Karimpur II – 62.04%|
|Tehatta I – 70.72%|
|Tehatta II – 68.52%|
|Krishnanagar Sadar subdivision|
|Kaliganj – 65.89%|
|Nakashipara – 64.86%|
|Chapra – 68.25%|
|Krishnanagar I – 71.45%|
|Krishnanagar II – 68.52%|
|Nabadwip – 67.72%|
|Krishnaganj – 72.86%|
|Hanskhali – 80.11%|
|Santipur – 73.10%|
|Ranaghat I – 77.61%|
|Ranaghat II – 79.38%|
|Chakdaha – 64.17%|
|Haringhata – 82.15%|
|Source: 2011 Census: CD Block Wise
Primary Census Abstract Data
With the partition of India many skilled weavers from Dhaka settled around Santipur in Nadia district and Ambika Kalna in Bardhaman district, both with long traditions in weaving and the entire weaving belt spread across Santipur, Phulia, Samudragarh, Dhatrigram and Ambika Kalna, produces quality products in exotic designs and colours.
There is an electrified broad gauge service between Krishnanagar and Santipur and the process of extension up to Nabadwip Dham is on. (as in 2016). The historic narrow gauge lines in the area have been closed down.
Nadiar Pratinidhi weekly newspaper published from Fulia. Editor- Bikash Biswas Ph. (03473) 234263
- "Santipur Block". onefivenine. Retrieved 25 February 2016.
- "Nadia District". Map. Nadia district administration. Retrieved 25 February 2016.
- "Provisional Population Totals, West Bengal , Table 4". Census of India 2001, Nadia district (10). Census Commissioner of India. Archived from the original on September 27, 2007. Retrieved 2011-03-25.
- Gangopadhyay, Basudev, Paschimbanga Parichay, 2001, (Bengali), p. 70, Sishu Sahitya Sansad
- "Nadia district". NREGA activities - Block Performance MIS vs MPR. Nadia district administration. Retrieved 2011-03-25.
- "C.D. Block Wise Primary Census Abstract Data(PCA)". West Bengal – District-wise CD Blocks. Registrar General and Census Commissioner, India. Retrieved 25 February 2016.
- "Provisional Population Totals, West Bengal. Table 4". Census of India 2001. Census Commission of India. Archived from the original on September 27, 2007. Retrieved 2012-04-12.
- "District Census 2011". Population Census 2011. Retrieved 24 January 2016.
- "Provisional population tables and annexures" (PDF). Census 2011:Table 2(3) Literates and Literacy rates by sex. Registrar General and Census Commissioner, India. Retrieved 9 February 2016.
- "A Traditional Panorama - Bengal Art". Arts and Crafts in India. India Profile. Retrieved 3 March 2016.
- J. H. E. Garrett. "Nadia, Bengal District Gazetteers (1910)". IRFCA. Retrieved 3 March 2016.
- "Mamata rolls out rly sops for Nadia". The Times of India, 8 January 2010. Retrieved 3 March 2016.
- "Welcome to Krishnanagar Municipality". Krishnanagar Municipality. Retrieved 3 March 2016.
- "Groundwater Arsenic contamination in West Bengal-India (20 years study )". SOES. Retrieved 2011-03-25.