This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (December 2010) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|President of Gianni Versace S.p.A|
Assumed office |
|Preceded by||Office established|
|Chief Executive Officer of|
Gianni Versace S.p.A
Serving with Donatella Versace and Jorge Saud
|Preceded by||Gianni Versace|
|Succeeded by||Allegra Beck|
|Member of the Chamber of Deputies|
14 April 2008 – 25 February 2013
|Preceded by||Ferdinando Adornato|
|Succeeded by||Ferdinando Adornato|
|President of the National Assembly for the Act to Stop the Decline|
25 May 2014 – 25 May 2015
|Preceded by||No immediate predecessor|
|Succeeded by||Michele Boldrin|
|Member of the Parliamentary Commission for Finance|
7 October 2011 – 14 March 2013
|Member of the Parliamentary Commission for Trade, Tourism and|
21 May 2008 – 7 October 2011
Santo Domenico Versace|
16 December 1944
Reggio Calabria, Kingdom of Italy
Act to Stop the Decline (2014—2015)|
Alliance for Italy (2009—2014)
People of Freedom (until 2009)
(m. 1981; div. 2004)
Francesca de Stefano
Donatella Versace (sister)|
Gianni Versace (brother)
Allegra Versace (niece)
|Alma mater||University of Messina (BEconSc; 1968)|
Santo Domenico Versace (Italian: [verˈsaːtʃe];[a] born 16 December 1944) is an Italian businessman who is the president and co-chief executive officer of Gianni Versace SpA, based in Milan, Italy. Since 2008 he has been elected as Member of the Chamber of Deputies of the Italian Republic in the constituency of Calabria. He is a member of the Alliance for Italy political party, formerly being a member of The People of Freedom.
He was born on 16 December 1944 in Reggio Calabria, where he grew up with his younger siblings Gianni and Donatella, along with their father, Antonio, and dressmaker mother, Francesca. An older sister, Tina, died at the age of twelve from an improperly treated tetanus infection. By age six, Versace joined his father and continued to work after school and summers with him until he attended university. When not in school, he helped care for his younger sister, Donatella.
In 1981, Versace married Christiana Cavalli. The couple had two children, Francesca Christiana and Antonio Tina Santo. The marriage ended in divorce in 2004. Versace remarried in 2014 to lawyer Francesca de Stefano, with whom he had one daughter, Ramona Francesca.
Career and professional life
In 1968, Santo graduated from the University of Messina with a degree in economics. He began working first as a banker in Reggio Calabria for Credito Italiano and later as a high school teacher of economics and geography. In 1972, he completed his military service as an officer in the "Genova Cavalleria." Upon completion of his service, Santo opened his own accounting office in both Reggio Calabria and Milan.
In 1976, he moved permanently to Milan where he began working full-time with his brother. Gianni Versace SpA was founded in 1977, with Santo Versace as CEO until 2004. Santo played a leading role in the success of the Versace brand by focusing on communication, organization, productivity, and quality. He oversaw all areas of the business—including sales, distribution, production and finance—and quickly became one of the industry's leading and most well-respected businesspeople.
In 1998, Santo was appointed president of the Italian Fashion Chamber where he served from 1998–1999.
Since 1998 he is a shareholder of Viola Reggio Calabria Basketball. From June 1998 to October 1999 was "President of the National Chamber of Italian Fashion." He is Chairman of Operation Smile Italy Onlus, an association of doctors and volunteers which deals with children with facial deformities in 70 countries around the world.
In popular culture
Notes and references
- "Roberto Cavalli Biography - life, family, children, parents, name, wife, school, mother - Newsmakers Cumulation". www.notablebiographies.com. Retrieved 23 March 2018.
- Vogue (2018-01-31), 73 Questions With Donatella Versace | Vogue, retrieved 2018-03-02
- "You've probably been pronouncing 'Versace' wrong, according to Donatella". Harper's BAZAAR. 2018-02-02. Retrieved 2018-03-02.
- Bruno Mars (2017-08-13), Bruno Mars - Versace On The Floor [Official Video], retrieved 2018-03-02
- "Archivio Corriere della Sera". archiviostorico.corriere.it. Retrieved 23 March 2018.
- Foti, Anna (10 November 2010). "Centrale a carbone di Saline Joniche, ancora iniziative istituzionali e non". Reggio TV (in Italian). Retrieved 21 December 2010.
- Collins, Lauren (September 24, 2007). "Mondo Donatella". The New Yorker: 158. Retrieved 21 December 2010
- "Santo Versace: Executive Profile & Biography - Bloomberg". www.bloomberg.com. Retrieved 2017-09-26.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2013-11-07. Retrieved 2013-10-07.