Santorini (Thira) National Airport
|Santorini National Airport
Κρατικός Αερολιμένας Σαντορίνης
|Operator||Fraport AG/Copelouzos Group joint venture|
|Elevation AMSL||127 ft / 39 m|
Santorini (Thira) National Airport is an airport in Santorini/Thira, Greece (IATA: JTR, ICAO: LGSR), located north of the village of Kamari. The airport serves both as a military and as a civil airport. With its relatively small apron, the airport is only able to serve up to 6 civilian planes at the same time. The tower (freq. 118.05) also serves as approach / departure, up to FL170.
Santorini is one of the few Cyclades Islands with a major airport. It is about 6 km southeast of the centre of Thira. The main asphalt runway (16L-34R) is 6972 feet/2125m in length. The parallel taxiway was built to runway specification (16R-34L). It can accommodate Boeing 757, Boeing 737, Airbus 320 series, Avro RJ, Fokker 70, and ATR 72. Scheduled airlines include Ryanair, Olympic Air and Aegean Airlines, with seasonal scheduled and charter flights from other airlines during the higher seasons in spring, summer and fall. Transportation to and from the air terminal is through buses, taxis, hotel car-pickups and rental cars. In 2014 the airport served 1,179,653 passengers, an increase of 31.3% over the previous year's traffic.
The airport first operated in 1972.
In December 2015 the privatisation of Santorini (Thira) National Airport and 13 other regional airports of Greece was finalised with the signing of the agreement between the Fraport AG/Copelouzos Group joint venture and the state privatisation fund. "We signed the deal today," the head of Greece's privatisation agency HRADF, Stergios Pitsiorlas, told Reuters. According to the agreement, the joint venture will operate the 14 airports (including Santorini (Thira) National Airport) for 40 years as of autumn 2016.
Airlines and destinations
- Jeppesen aerodrome charts
- "SANTORINI AIRPORT". ypa.gr. Retrieved 4 May 2016.
- "Santorini Airport History". Retrieved 7 June 2015.
- "Alitalia Adds Seasonal Milan Linate Routes in August 2015". Retrieved 7 June 2015.
- L, J (25 November 2015). "Alitalia Adds Rome – Thira Service in August 2016". Airline Route. Retrieved 25 November 2015.
- "British Airways New Routes Summer 2014 | Continental Club Blog". Blog.continentalclub.co.uk.
- "British Airways Adds Greek Routes from London City in July/August 2015". Retrieved 7 June 2015.
- "Blu Express Adds New Milan Bergamo – Greece Seasonal Routes Jul – Sep 2015". Retrieved 7 June 2015.
- "Blu-express open seasonal routes from Bologna to Greece". Blu-express.com.
- "Five new easyJet destinations from Geneva for 2015". Genève Aéroport. 16 December 2014.
- "Germania Flight Schedule / 30.12.2014 - 01.11.2015" (PDF). Germania.
- "Germania Planned New S15 Routes as of 19NOV14". Airline Route. Retrieved 19 November 2014.
- "Iberia Express unirá Madrid con Santorini a partir de junio". Europa Press (in Spanish). Retrieved 26 January 2016.
- "Meridiana expands Naples base operations". Meridiana.it.
- JL (17 October 2013). "Norwegian Adds Long-Haul Routes from London Gatwick; New European Service in S14". Airline Route.
- "Flight Timetables – Oslo Airport". Osl.no.
- "Ryanair Announces 3 Additional New Athens Routes To Budapest, Bratislava & Santorini". corporate.ryanair.com.
- "Flight Timetables – Bergen Airport, Flesland". Avinor.no.
- "Flight Timetables – Trondheim Airport, Værnes". Avinor.no.
- "Vueling open 24 new routes from Rome". Vuelingnews.com.
Media related to Santorini Airport at Wikimedia Commons