Santorini (Thira) International Airport
Santorini International Airport
Κρατικός Αερολιμένας Σαντορίνης
|Operator||Fraport AG/Copelouzos Group joint venture|
|Elevation AMSL||127 ft / 39 m|
Santorini (Thira) International Airport is an airport in Santorini/Thira, Greece (IATA: JTR, ICAO: LGSR), located north of the village of Kamari. The airport serves both as a military and as a civil airport. With its relatively small apron, as of 2018 the airport is only able to serve up to 6 civilian planes at the same time. Santorini is one of the few Cyclades Islands with a major airport.
The airport is located about 6 km southeast of the centre of the city of Thira. The main asphalt runway (16L-34R) is 6972 feet/2125m in length. The parallel taxiway was built to runway specification and is labeled 16R-34L. The airfield can accommodate medium sized jets like the Boeing 757, Boeing 737 and Airbus 320 series as well as smaller aircraft such as the Avro RJ, Fokker 70, and ATR 72. Scheduled airlines include Ryanair, Olympic Air and Aegean Airlines, with seasonal scheduled and charter flights from other airlines during the higher seasons in spring, summer and fall. Transportation to and from the air terminal is through buses, taxis, hotel car-pickups and rental cars.
The airport first operated in 1972.
In December 2015 the privatisation of Santorini (Thira) International Airport and 13 other regional airports of Greece was finalised with the signing of the agreement between the Fraport AG/Copelouzos Group joint venture and the state privatisation fund. "We signed the deal today," the head of Greece's privatisation agency HRADF, Stergios Pitsiorlas, told Reuters. According to the agreement, the joint venture will operate the 14 airports (including Santorini (Thira) International Airport) for 40 years as of 11 April 2017.
Future of the airport
The following summarizes the enhancement changes that will be implemented for Santorini International Airport under Fraport Greece’s investment plan by 2020:
- Expanding and remodelling the current terminal
- 236% increase in total terminal space at 15,640 m2, by replacing part of the current terminal and constructing a new terminal
- 113% increase in the number of check-in counters (from 8 to 17)
- Doubling the number of security-check lanes (from 1 to 2)
- 20% increase in the number of departure gates (from 5 to 6)
- 250% increase in the number of security-check lanes (from 2 to 7)
- Improving lighting, marking of airside areas
- Upgrading sanitary facilities
- Enhancing services and offering new free Internet connection (WiFi)
- Implementing works to improve fire safety in all the areas of the airports
- New fire station
- Reorganizing the airport apron area
Airlines and destinations
- Jeppesen aerodrome charts
- "SANTORINI AIRPORT". jtr-airport.gr. Retrieved 8 January 2018.
- "Santorini Airport History". Retrieved 7 June 2015.
- "Greece signs privatization of 14 regional airports with Germany's Fraport - TornosNews.gr". Retrieved 4 May 2017.
- Editorial, Reuters. "REFILE-UPDATE 1-Greece signs major privatisation deal with Germany's Fraport". Retrieved 4 May 2017.
- "Fraport Greece’s Development Plan for the New Era at the Greek Regional Airports", fraport-greece.com
- "Santorini Airport - Fraport".
- "Η Fraport αλλάζει ριζικά τα 14 αεροδρόμια".
- Liu, Jim (7 November 2019). "Air Europa adds Madrid – Thira service in S20". routesonline.com.
- "Charter schedule" (PDF). aviolet.rs.
- 2017, UBM (UK) Ltd. "Condor Adds New Greek Routes in S17". Retrieved 4 May 2017.
- Liu, Jim. "Eurowings S20 Short-Haul network additions as of 18OCT19". Routesonline. Retrieved 21 October 2019.
- 2017, UBM (UK) Ltd. "Eurowings S17 planned new routes as of 01SEP16". Retrieved 4 May 2017.
- "Laudamotion outlines summer 2018 operations". routesonline.com. 16 March 2018.
- Lufthansa begin new seasonal service to Santorini in 2018
- "Flight Times". neosair.it/en.
- "Flight". apollo.no.
- "Ryanair W19 Network changes summary as of 04OCT19". routesonline.com.
- "Flight". apollo.se.
- "TUI to fly from Newcastle Airport to Santorini, Hurghada and Skiathos in 2020". chroniclelive.co.uk. 22 October 2019.
- 2017, UBM (UK) Ltd. "Volotea S17 New routes as of 10OCT16". Retrieved 4 May 2017.
- Liu, Jim. "Volotea S20 network additions as of 10OCT19". Routesonline. Retrieved 11 October 2019.
- "Welcome to Nakhal Online Booking System". www.nakhalonline.com.
- "SANTORINI AIRPORT", ypa.gr
- "SANTORINI AIRPORT (JTR) Air Traffic statistics", jtr-airport.gr
Media related to Santorini Airport at Wikimedia Commons