Sapiens International Corporation
Holon Azrieli Center, headquarters of Sapiens
|Traded as||NASDAQ: SPNS, TASE: SPNS|
|Founder||Tsvi Misinai, Tuvi Orbach, Shai Sole|
|Revenue||US$ 185.64 million (2015)|
|US$ 24.35 million (2015)|
|Profit||US$ 20.02 million (2015)|
|Total assets||US$ 242.27 million (2015)|
Number of employees
|Parent||Formula Systems (1985) Ltd.|
|Footnotes / references
Sapiens International Corporation is a publicly traded company, headquartered in Israel, that develops computer software solutions for the insurance industry. Its shares are traded on the NASDAQ Capital Market and on the Tel Aviv Stock Exchange. As of July 2015, the company has 1,017 employees and a market cap of US$500 million.
Sapiens grew out of an initiative, dubbed DB1, undertaken by a group of scientists from the Weizmann Institute of Science during the 1970s to develop a novel object-oriented application generator for use with mainframe computers. One of the driving forces behind the initiative was Tsvi Misinai, a graduate of the Technion who in 1972 went on to spearhead the project. He teamed up with Shai Sole, Shmuel Timor and Eli Raban. By the late 1970s and early 1980s, the Weizmann team, partnered with a local Israeli company, AAA–Advanced Automated Applications (founded by Tuvi Orbach), began marketing DB1 to domestic large organizations . Subsequently, the company started marketing its product overseas. One of the company's first overseas clients was a UK based international infrastructure firm in 1986. In 1984 the Weizmann team established its own company, to be later merged with AAA, and joined by entrepreneurs Ron Zuckerman and Shaul Shani. The company severed itself from the Weizmann Institute and was incorporated under its new name—Sapiens.
By 1990, Sapiens had established a client base encompassing Israel, the United Kingdom, Switzerland, Canada, South Africa, Germany, and Venezuela. In 1990 Sapiens was registered as a public limited liability company in the Netherlands Antilles under the name Sapiens International Corporation N.V. In 1991 Sapiens Latin American Division entered the Brazilian market. In 1992 shares of Sapiens began trading on the NASDAQ exchange. The year 1993 is considered the company's peak, with 900 workers employed at 33 branches around the world and a market cap of US$340 million.
During the second half of the 1990 Sapiens focused on developing a business rules technology (eMerge) and Legacy Modernization products and services. The company was highly successful in winning contracts for updating information systems to deal with the Year 2000 problem and to adapt systems to the changeover to the new single European currency (the 'Euro'). In 1999 the company's annual revenues reached USD$91, but declined in the following years.
Refocusing on Insurance Software
In 2001, Formula Systems, until then a minority shareholder, acquired control over the (then struggling) company. Dan Goldstein, then Chairman of The Formula Group, assumed the role of Chairman of Sapiens, and supervised its recovery. The company decided to focus solely on developing software solution for the Insurance Industry.
In 2011, Goldstein initiated and carried out a 3-way corporate merger, between Sapiens and two subsidiaries of Formula Vision. These two companies both also focused on Insurance solutions, FIS (Formula Insurance Solutions) and IDIT, merged into Sapiens to form a world leader in software for the Insurance sector.
- Sapiens ALIS - Life, Pension & Annuities Insurance Software
- Sapiens IDIT - General Insurance Software Solution
- Sapiens RapidSure - Property and Casualty Insurance Software
- Sapiens Reinsurance Software
- Sapiens DECISION - Business Decision Management Solution (BDMS)
- Sapiens eMerge Business rules engine
- "SPNS Income Statement". Yahoo! Finance. 2015. Retrieved 17 February 2015.
- "Sapiens International Corp NV (SPNS.O) Company Profile". Reuters. 2011. Retrieved 24 September 2011.
Sapiens International Corporation N.V., incorporated on April 6, 1990, is a global provider of software solutions for the insurance industry.
- "SPNS Profile". Yahoo! Finance. 2011. Retrieved 24 September 2011.
- "Sapiens International Corporation Market Cap. (SPNS)". YCharts. September 2011. Retrieved 24 September 2011.
Sapiens International Corporation Market Cap: 71.22M
- Sadeh, Shuki (19 December 2009). "קוסם שמוכר רעיונות: דרכו של שאול שני מהג'ונגל בברזיל למיליארדים בישראל" [Wizard who sells ideas: The path of Shaul Shani from the jungle of Brazil to the billions in Israel]. TheMarker (in Hebrew). Retrieved 24 September 2011.
ספיאנס הוקמה על בסיס רעיון של מדענים במכון ויצמן בשנות ה-70: מחולל יישומים, מערכת שהותקנה בעיקר במחשבי ענק, ואיפשרה לכתוב תוכנה במהירות גדולה יחסית.
- Lori, Aviva (27 March 2006). "אחים יקרים" [Dear brothers]. TheMarker (in Hebrew). Retrieved 24 September 2011.
בצבא שירת מסיני בממר"ם (יחידת המחשב), בענף כוח אדם.
- Morgenstern, Henry (14 May 1993). "Tsvi Misinai". Israel Business Today. Retrieved 24 September 2011.
Within three months of becoming head of a Weizmann Institute project to find such a tool, back in 1972, Tsvi Misinai saw his idea first used.
- Harel, Ezra Menashe (2010). יש בנו עוצמה רבה [We Have Great Power] (in Hebrew). Israel. pp. 288–289, 294, 317–318. Retrieved 24 September 2011.
המוצר הגיע לרמת שימוש מסחרית בארץ רק בסוף שנות השבעים ורק עשר שנים מאוחר יותר החלו המאמצים לשווקו בחוץ-לארץ.
- Shimoni, Eli (29 October 2005). "מנכ"ל סאפיינס הפורש: שווי החברה יגדל פי 3 ב-3 שנים" [Sapiens CEO: Company's value will triple in 3 years]. Ynet (in Hebrew). Retrieved 23 September 2011.
החברה, שהוקמה על ידי קבוצת יזמים שפרשה ממכון ויצמן לפני 30 שנה, פעלה תחת שמות אחרים עד אמצע שנות ה-80', ואוגדה לחברת סאפיינס ב-1989.
- "Sapiens International Corporation N.V.: Form 20-F". NASDAQ. 28 June 2007. p. 14. Retrieved 24 September 2011.
Our legal and commercial name is Sapiens International Corporation N.V., and we were incorporated and registered in the Netherlands Antilles on April 6, 1990.
- Sapiens Builds Brandname, Globes, 14 January 1999
- La Redoute Awards Sapiens Strategic Euro Transition Project Valued at Several Million Dollar, PR Newswire, November 13, 1998
- Sapiens International Corporation N.V. FORM 20-F 2001
- July 2001 "Avi Gruber, BizPortal" Check
New Target Price for Formula Systems
- Sapiens Acquires Canada-based P&C Software Vendor Harcase, insurance & technology magazine,
- Sapiens, IDIT and FIS Sign Definitive Agreement to Merge; Merged Company to Become a Major Global Insurance Solutions Provider, July 21, 2011, PRNewswire
- Wheelings & Dealings: Sapiens to Acquire IBEXI Solutions, Insurance Technology,March 31, 2015
- Sapiens Enters Polish Market With Acquisition of Insurance Software Provider Insseco