Sapphire from Power Company: Sapphire #1
artist Mark Bagley
|First appearance||JLA #61
|Created by||Kurt Busiek (writer)
Tom Grummett (artist)
|Alter ego||Candace Jean Gennaro|
|Team affiliations||Power Company|
Alien "Serpent's Egg" artifact
Sapphire is a fictional superheroine published by DC Comics. She first appeared in the Power Company back-up story in JLA #61, (February 2002), but her origin is told in Power Company: Sapphire #1, (March 2002). Sapphire was created by Kurt Busiek and Tom Grummett.
Fictional character biography
Candice "Candy" Jean Gennaro, is a sixteen-year-old runaway and street thief on the streets of San Diego, California, who stumbles onto the scene of a three-way battle between the Lord Kobra and his green armored forces, and Lady Eve's black armored splinter faction of the Kobra organization. Candy ends up trapped inside a forcefield thrown up by Kobra to keep out early respondents from the Justice League.
Candy falls into Kobra's Sea Serpent submarine while running across the impromptu dockside battlefield, while crawling through the submarine's ductwork she overhears Lord Naga-Naga himself discussing the properties of the Serpent's Egg in the company of two mutated Serpent Men and several human lackeys. The Serpent's Egg is an alien artifact that fell to Earth centuries ago, it has psycho-interactive properties that would make the perfect armor. Kobra decided to steal the gem when he discovered that it was no longer dormant. Candy steals the Egg and it bonds to her body forming a nearly impenetrable second skin which allows her to battle and escape Kobra's minions and the submarine. Apparently the gem has lifebonded to Candy.
On the run from the forces of Kobra, Candy decides to seek safety in numbers and heads for the headquarters of the Power Company, there she discovers members of the mercenary group known as the Strike Force on the roof planning to assault the company. The Strike Force plans to take Josiah Power hostage and steal transportation out of the city. Candy engages the Strike Force but is knocked unconscious after a short struggle, the mercenaries are later defeated by a transformed Josiah Power. Due to these events Candy joins the Power Company as an Associate, using the codename Sapphire. She remains with the team until the series finale in issue #18.
Powers and abilities
- Recently Charlie Lau informed Candy that she has latent telekinetic powers which she unconsciously uses to manipulate the Serpent's Egg.
- Candy is physically bonded to a psycho-reactive alien gem called the Serpent's Egg.
- The artifact gem appears to tap her latent telekinetic abilities and use them to manipulate and alter its structural lattice.
- With the Serpent's Egg, Candy can use her latent telekinesis to fly, or form shields and objects using the Egg.
- The gem is "Lifebonded" to Candy and responds to her every thought.
- As seen in Power Company: Sapphire #1
- http://www.mykey3000.com/cosmicteams/cosmic/powercompany.html Power Company Chronology
- Terror Titans #2
- As seen in Power Company #6