Sahid Darshan Chowk
|• Type||Coordination committee|
|• Body||DCC, Saptari|
|• Total||1,363 km2 (526 sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+5:45 (NPT)|
|Main Language(s)||Maithili, Tharu, Nepali.|
Saptari (Nepali: सप्तरी जिल्लाListen (help·info)), a part of Province No. 2, is one of the seventy-five districts of Nepal. Its district headquarter is Rajbiraj. This district covers an area of 1,363 km² and has a population (2011) of 639,284 which makes it the 10th most populated district of Nepal. Saptari is renowned for its agricultural output, and is bordered on the east by the massive Sapta Koshi river.
There are nine municipalities in Saptari: Dakneshwori, Rajbiraj, Bodebarsain, Hanumannagar Yoginimai, Kanchanrup, Saptakoshi, Shambhunath and Khadak. Other small towns include Mahuli, Kathauna Bazar, Pato and Itahari Bishnupur with the area government "Machha Palan Kendra" fish farming centre.
The famous Chhinnamasta temple is one of the shakti peeths and Kankalini Temple are also located in Saptari District. Various local and national newspapers and intellectuals have requested the Nepal government act swiftly and punish all those who are involved in corruption and delay in infrastructure creation so that the work can start as soon as possible.
Chinnamasta Bhagawati (छिन्नमस्ता भगवती) is a temple of Eastern Nepal. It is situated in Chinnamasta VDC, Saptari, 10 km from Rajbiraj and also near to Indian Border. It is a main attraction for Indian pilgrims. People are likely to come here in Bada Dashain. Some thousands of goats are sacrificed here during dashain.
Shambhunath (शम्भुनाथ) is another one of the famous temples of Eastern Nepal. It is situated in Shambhunath, 12 km from Rajbiraj and also near Mahendra Highway. This temple is a main attraction for Indian pilgrims. People are likely to come here in Siruwa Mela during month of Baisakh (the first month of Bikram Sambat).
Kankalini Temple (कंकालिनी) is another temple situated in this district; it is located in Bhardah-1 of Hanumannagar Kankalini Municipality. This temple is main attraction for Indian pilgrims. Kankalini Temple has great religious importance. Like most of the other Shakti Peethas in Nepal, this temple, too, has a legend attached to it. According to the legend, the people settled in Bhardaha village had started to use the land for farming, however, while digging, some farmers had found a stone statue carved beautifully with the image of Goddess Durga and in that very place, this temple is said to have been build. It is believed that when a devotee worships with great devotion and true heart in the temple, their wish comes true. So, thousands of peoples from many part of the country come to this temple to worship the avatar of Goddess Durga, known famously as goddess Kankalini.
Geography and climate
|Climate Zone||Elevation Range||% of Area|
|Lower Tropical||below 300 meters (1,000 ft)||94.7%|
|Upper Tropical||300 to 1,000 meters
1,000 to 3,300 ft.
Higher level of education details
- Mahendra Bindeshwari Multiple Campus- TU Affiliated Public Campus located in Rajbiraj offering LLB, BBS, BA, MBS, M.Ed.
- National People College- TU Affiliated Private College established in 2013 AD Offers Masters and Bachelors level of Programs in Management and Humanities Faculties. It is the 1st Private College of Saptari District Offering the Subjects of Study like MA-SOCIOLOGY, MBS, BA-RD and SOCIOLOGY. The college is Ultramodern and is Located in Kanchanrup Munacipality.
HSEB affiliated +2 colleges are:
- Happyland HSS and college
- Laligurans EBHSS or Paradise Campus
- Caliber International College
- Mission College
- Kshitiz Edu. Foundation
- Chinnamasta College
- Rajbiraj Model Campus
Village Development Committees (VDCs) and Municipalities
- Aurahi, now Dakneshwori Municipality ward No. 6
- Babhangama katti
- Badgama, now Kanchan Rup Mun.
- Bairawa, now Kanchanrup Municipality ward no. 1
- Banaula, now Dakneshwori Municipality ward No. 10
- Baramjhiya, now Kanchan Rup Mun.
- Belhi[ NOw Khadk Mun WAda No 2]]
- Belhi Chapena
- Bhardaha, now Hanumannagar Kankalini Mun.
- Bhutahi, now Dakneshwori Municipality ward No. 4
- Birpur Barahi
- Bodebarsain Municipality
- Brahamapur, now Dakneshwori Municipality ward No. 7
- Dakneshwori Municipality
- Daulatpur, Now surunga Mun Wada No 3
- Babhangam katti
- Dharampur, now Kanchan Rup Mun.
- Dhodhanpur, now Kanchan Rup Mun.
- Gamhariya Parwaha
- Gobargada, now Hanumannagar Kankalini Mun.
- Hanumannagar, now Municipality
- Hanumannagar Kankalini Municipality
- Hardiya[Now surunga Mun Wada No 2]]
- HaripurNow surunga Mun wada No 7
- Inarwa, now Hanumannagar Kankalini Mun.
- Inarwa Phulbariya
- Itahari Bishnupur
- Jagatpur, now Kanchan Rup Mun.
- Jamuni Madhapura
- Joginiya-1, now Hanumannagar Kankalini Mun.
- Joginiya-2, now Hanumannagar Kankalini Mun.
- Kabilasha, now Dakneshwori Municipality ward No. 1
- Kanchan Rup Municipality
- Kalyanpur[ Khadk Mun 6,7,8]]
- Kamalpur, now Saptaskoshi Mun.
- Kataiya, Now Rupani Gaunpalika
- Khadgapur, included in Bodebarsain Mun.
- Khojpur[ Now khadk Mun 5]]
- Ko. Madhepura
- Madhawapur, now Hanumannagar Kankalini Mun.
- Madhupatinow surunga mun Wada no 4]]
- Maina Kaderi
- Maina Sahasrabahu
- Malhaniya, now Hanumannagar Kankalini Mun.
- Manraja,included in Bodebarsain Mun.
- Pato, now Dakneshwori Municipality ward No. 5
- Patthargada, now Dakneshwori Municipality ward No. 9
- Phattepur, now Saptakoshi Mun.
- Pipra (Purba), now Kanchan Rup Mun.
- Pipra (West)[ surunga mun wada No 1]]
- Portaha, now Hanumannagar Kankalini Mun.
- Rajbiraj Municipality
- Rampur Jamuwa
- Rampur Malhaniya, now Hanumannagar Kankalini Mun.
- Rupnagar, now Kanchan Rup Mun.
- Shambhunath Municipality
- Saptakoshi Municipality
- Simraha Sigiyaun
- Siswa Beihi now khadak Mun Wada No 1,2]]
- Tarahi, now Dakneshwori Municipality ward No. 3
- Theliya, now Kanchan Rup Mun.
- Rajgadh Rural Municipality
Notable people of Saptari District
- Mehboob Alam, cricketer who became the first bowler to take all ten wickets in an innings in an ICC recognized international tournament match.
- Sriti Jha, prominent television actress of Kumkum Bhagya fame 
- Aditya Narayan, Nepali and Hindi singer and actor
- Udit Narayan, Nepali and Bollywood playback singer
- C. K. Raut, the first scientist from Madhesh and the promoter of Alliance for Independent of Madhesh.
- Gajendra Narayan Singh, Politician
- Ram Raja Prasad Singh, Presidential Candidate for 1st President of Democratic Republic of Nepal
- Household and population by districts, Central Bureau of Statistics (CBS) Nepal Archived 2013-07-31 at the Wayback Machine.
- "The Goddess with Severed Head". Boss Nepal.
- "Kankalini Temple". Boss Nepal.
- The Map of Potential Vegetation of Nepal - a forestry/agroecological/biodiversity classification system (PDF), Forest & Landscape Development and Environment Series 2-2005 and CFC-TIS Document Series No.110., 2005, ISBN 87-7903-210-9, retrieved Nov 22, 2013
- "National People College". National People College. Retrieved 2016-02-07.
- "BBC SPORT - Cricket - Alam takes 10 wickets in Jersey". bbc.co.uk.
- "Artistes have no borders, Udit Narayan tells Nepal". The Times of India. 27 January 2009. Retrieved 13 December 2013.
- "Districts of Nepal". Statoids.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Saptari District.|