|Region||Eastern (Purwanchal), Terai plain|
|• Total||1,363 km2 (526 sq mi)|
|Time zone||NPT (UTC+5:45)|
|Main language(s)||Tharu, Maithili, Nepali.|
Saptari District (Nepali: सप्तरी जिल्ला Listen (help·info)), a part of Province No. 2, is one of the seventy-five districts of Nepal. The district, with Rajbiraj as its district headquarters, covers an area of 1,363 km² and has a population (2011) of 639,284  which makes 10th populated district of Nepal. Saptari is renowned for its agricultural output, and is bordered on the east by the massive Sapt Koshi river.
There are five municipalities in Saptari: Rajbiraj, Hanumannagar Yoginimai, Kanchanpur, Saptakoshi, Shambhunath. Other small towns include Mahuli, Kathauna Bazar, Pato and Itahari Bishnupur with the area government "Machha Palan Kendra" fish farm.
The famous Chhinna Masta Hindu temple also believe by locals in clothing in Nepal in India is one of the shakti peeths and Kankalini temple are also located in Saptari District. Recently the district was blacklisted by the Indian embassy because of delays in the progress of work where infrastructure creation was funded by the Indian embassy. Various local and national newspapers and intellectuals have requested the Nepal government act swiftly and punish all those who are involved in corruption and delay in infrastructure creation so that the work can start as soon as possible.
Chinnamasta Bhagawati (छिन्नमस्ता भगवती) is a temple of Eastern Nepal. It is situated in Chinnamasta VDC, Saptari, 10 km from Rajbiraj and also near to Indian Border. It is a main attraction for Indian pilgrims. People are likely to come here in Bada Dashain. Some thousands of goats are sacrificed here during dashain.
Shambhunath (शम्भुनाथ) is another one of the famous temples of Eastern Nepal. It is situated in Shambhunath, 12 km from Rajbiraj and also near Mahendra Highway . This Temple is a main attraction for Indian Pilgrims. People are likely to come here in Bada Dashain during month of Baisakh (The first month of Bikram Sambat).
Kankalini Temple (कंकालिनी ) is another temple situated in this district; it is located in Bhardah VDC. This temple is main attraction for Indian pilgrims. Kankalini Temple has great religious importance. Like most of the other Shakti Peethas in Nepal, this temple, too, has a legend attached to it. According to the legend, the people settled in Bhardaha village had started to use the land for farming, however, while digging, some farmers had found a stone statue carved beautifully with the image of Goddess Durga and in that very place, this temple is said to have been build. It is believed that when a devotee worships with great devotion and true heart in the temple, their wish comes true. So, thousands of peoples from many part of the country come to this temple to worship the avatar of Goddess Durga, known famously as goddess Kankalini.
Geography and climate
|Climate Zone||Elevation Range||% of Area|
|Lower Tropical||below 300 meters (1,000 ft)||94.7%|
|Upper Tropical||300 to 1,000 meters
1,000 to 3,300 ft.
Higher level of education details
- Mahendra Bindeshwari Multiple Campus- TU Affiliated Public Campus located in Rajbiraj offering LLB, BBS, BA, MBS, M.Ed.
- National People College- TU Affiliated Private College established in 2013 AD Offers Masters and Bachelors level of Programs in Management and Humanities Faculties. It is the 1st Private College of Saptari District Offering the Subjects of Study like MA-SOCIOLOGY, MBS, BA-RD and SOCIOLOGY. The college is Ultramodern and is Located in Kanchanrup Munacipality.
- HSEB affiliated +2 colleges are:
1.Happyland HSS and college<\n> 2.Laligurans EBHSS or Paradise Campus 3.Caliber International College 4.Mission College 5.Kshitiz Edu. Foundation 6.Chinnamasta College 7 Rajbiraj Model Campus
Village Development Committees (VDCs) and Municipalities
- Babhangama katti
- Badgama, now Kanchan Rup Mun.
- Baramjhiya, now Kanchan Rup Mun.
- Belhi Chapena
- Birpur Barahi
- Babhangam katti
- Dharampur, now Kanchan Rup Mun.
- Dhodhanpur, now Kanchan Rup Mun.
- Gamhariya Parwaha
- Gobargada, now Han.-Yog. Mun.
- Hanumannagar, now Municipality
- Hanumannagar Yoginimai Municipality
- Inarwa, now Han.-Yog. Mun.
- Inarwa Phulbariya
- Itahari Bishnupur
- Jagatpur, now Kanchan Rup Mun.
- Jamuni Madhapura
- Joginiya-1, now Han.-Yog. Mun.
- Joginiya-2, now Han.-Yog. Mun.
- Kachan, now Kanchan Rup Mun.
- Kanchan Rup Municipality
- Kamalpur, now Saptaskoshi Mun.
- Ko. Madhepura
- Maina Kaderi
- Maina Sahasrabahu
- Phattepur, now Saptakoshi Mun.
- Pipra (Purba), now Kanchan Rup Mun.
- Pipra (West)
- Rajbiraj Municipality
- Rampur Jamuwa
- Rampur Malhaniya
- Rupnagar, now Kanchan Rup Mun.
- Shambhunath Municipality
- Saptakoshi Municipality
- Simraha Sigiyaun
- Siswa Beihi
- Theliya, now Kanchan Rup Mun.
Notable people of Saptari District
- Presidential Candidate for First President of Democratic Republic of Nepal Ram Raja Prasad Singh
- Politician Gajendra Narayan Singh
- Nepali and Bollywood playback singer Udit Narayan
- Nepali and Hindi singer Aditya Narayan
- C. K. Raut, the first scientist from Madhesh and the promoter of Alliance for Independent of Madhesh.
- Ram Pd.Mandal also known as Kshetrapal. He is the member of Nepali Congress party. Recently, he is the head of Illaka No. 11. He is also a social worker. 
- Household and population by districts, Central Bureau of Statistics (CBS) Nepal
- "National People College". National People College. Retrieved 2016-01-29.
- "The Goddess with Severed Head". Boss Nepal.
- "Kankalini Temple". Boss Nepal.
- The Map of Potential Vegetation of Nepal - a forestry/agroecological/biodiversity classification system (PDF), . Forest & Landscape Development and Environment Series 2-2005 and CFC-TIS Document Series No.110., 2005, ISBN 87-7903-210-9, retrieved Nov 22, 2013 horizontal tab character in
|series=at position 91 (help)
- "National People College". National People College. Retrieved 2016-02-07.
- "Artistes have no borders, Udit Narayan tells Nepal". The Times of India. 27 January 2009. Retrieved 13 December 2013.
- "Districts of Nepal". Statoids.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Saptari District.|