sysstat 12.1.1 / October 13, 2018
sysstat 11.7.4 / June 1, 2018
|Operating system||AIX, Linux, Solaris, HP-UX|
System Activity Report (
sar) is a Unix System V-derived system monitor command used to report on various system loads, including CPU activity, memory/paging, interrupts, device load, network and swap space utilization. Sar uses
/procfilesystem for gathering information 
Sar was originally developed for Solaris operating system and it is available in Linux, Solaris, AIX, HP-UX, but it is not available for MacOS or FreeBSD, until 2013 there was a
bsdsar tool actually deprecated .
sar [-flags] [ -e time ] [ -f filename ] [-i sec ] [ -s time ]
- filename Uses filename as the data source for sar. The default is the current daily data file /var/adm/sa/sadd.
- time Selects data up to time. The default is 18:00.
- sec Selects data at intervals as close as possible to sec seconds.
[user@localhost]$ sar # Displays current CPU activity.
- Linux User Commands Manual : Collect, report, or save system activity information. –
- Linux Administration and Privileged Commands Manual : Collect and store binary data in the system activity daily data file. –
sar, supporting the same flags as
sarcommand which write a daily report in the /var/log/sa directory. – Linux Administration and Privileged Commands Manual
: shell variant of
sarbut can write its data in different formats (CSV, XML, etc.). This is useful to load performance data into a database, or import them in a spreadsheet to make graphs.
: , similar to
- reports basic CPU statistics and input/output statistics for devices, partitions and network filesystems. – Linux User Commands Manual :
- Linux User Commands Manual : reports individual or combined processor related statistics. –
- Linux User Commands Manual : reports statistics for Linux tasks (processes) : I/O, CPU, memory, etc. –
- Linux User Commands Manual : reports input/output statistics for network filesystems (NFS). –
- CIFS resources. – Linux User Commands Manual : reports I/O statistics for
sag- "system activity graph" command
- ksar- BSD licensed Java-based application to create graph of all parameters from the data collected by Unix sar utilities.
- CURT, IBM AIX CPU Usage Reporting Tool
- isag, tcl based command to plot sar/sysstat data
- Solaris 10 User Commands Reference Manual –
- Easy system monitoring with SAR (IBM developerWorks)
- System Activity Reporter (Softpanorama)
- Article on sar at Computerhope
"sag(1)" (PDF). SUNOS Reference Manual. Mountain View, California: Sun Microsystems. 1993-02-24. pp. 1–895. Retrieved 2010-05-04.
sag - system activity graph [...] DESCRIPTION sag graphically displays the system activity data stored in a binary data file by a previous sar(1) run.