30 January 1948|
Eltham, London, England, UK
12 February 2017 (aged 69)|
Warwickshire, England, UK
|Known for||Caroline Sterling in The Archers|
Early life and career
Coward was born and raised in Eltham, south-east London and attended the girls' grammar school in the area before reading English and Drama at Bristol University and then studied at the Guildhall School of Music and Drama. While she was performing the role of Lady Macbeth in repertory theatre, Vanessa Whitburn, a producer from The Archers saw her and offered her the role of Caroline Bone, as the character was originally known.
Coward first appeared in The Archers in 1977, and was a regular from 1979 until September 2016. She also appeared in the TV productions Inspector Morse, Hetty Wainthropp Investigates and Rumpole of the Bailey.
Coward was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2013. She underwent a mastectomy; however, a lump was found in her neck afterwards and she was further diagnosed with terminal cancer in 2016. During her last weeks, Coward launched a campaign named SM:)E ("smile") to encourage people to be friendly and kind to each other.
|1972||New Scotland Yard||Sandra Williams||Episode: "Ask No Questions"|
|1987||Inspector Morse||Lynn||Episode: "The Wolvercote Tongue"|
|1992||Rumpole of the Bailey||Elspeth Dodds||Episode: "Rumpole and the Reform of Joby Jonson"|
|1997||Hetty Wainthropp Investigates||Receptionist||Episode: "Daughter of the Regiment"|
- "Sara Coward, star of The Archers, dies at 69". The Daily Telegraph. 13 February 2017. Retrieved 14 February 2017.
- "Sara Coward, Caroline in The Archers – obituary". The Daily Telegraph. 13 February 2017. Retrieved 14 February 2017.
- "Sara Coward". The Times. 16 February 2017. Retrieved 16 February 2017. (subscription required)
- Greaves, Lynn (4 December 2016). "Dying Archers star Sara Coward launches 'smile' campaign from her hospice bed". Daily Express. Retrieved 14 February 2017.
- "The Archers actor Sara Coward dies at 69". The Guardian. Press Association. 13 February 2017. ISSN 0261-3077. Retrieved 16 February 2017.