|Member of the Illinois House of Representatives
from the 12th district
|Preceded by||Ellis B. Levin|
December 11, 1956 |
Chicago, Illinois, U.S.
|Alma mater||Northeastern Illinois University (B.A.)
University of Illinois (M.P.H.)
Sara Feigenholtz (born December 11, 1956) is a Democratic member of the Illinois House of Representatives who has represented the 12th District since 1995. The District includes the lakefront communities of Lake View, Lincoln Park and the Near North neighborhood in the city of Chicago.
Sara Feigenholtz's political interests and activity, notably in the areas of adoption, women's issues and health care, reflect her personal experience and family background. Her adoptive mother, Florence Buky, an immigrant from Białystok, Poland, worked her way through medical school to become an obstetrician. Many of Dr Buky's patients were unable to care for their children and this was how she came to adopt Sara and her brother. Feigenholz attributes the origin of her political commitment to health care as a basic right to the childhood experience of patients calling to see Dr Buky at the family home in Lake View, Chicago, and her mother never turning anyone away, even those unable to pay.
Feigenholtz earned her bachelor's degree in political science and speech and performing arts from Northeastern Illinois University. and went on to earn a fellowship degree from the University of Illinois School Of Public Health. In 2011, she completed the Senior Executives in State and Local Government Program at Harvard University's Kennedy School of Government.
She worked as Chief of Staff to State Representative John Cullerton before becoming a fund-raiser for progressive causes.
Feigenholtz was elected to her first term as state representative of Illinois’ 12th District in 1994, defeating long-standing incumbent Ellis B. Levin. She chose to focus her attention on health care and human services reform. She was a lead sponsor of the Family Health Care Bill. She also campaigned for the introduction of the All Kids program.
Sara Feigenholtz is Chairperson for both the House Appropriations Committee for Human Services and the House Adoption Reform Committee. She serves as the Vice-Chairperson for the Tourism and Conventions Committee and serves on the House Committees for Mass Transit, Insurance, and Environment & Energy.
Special congressional election
Feigenholtz came in third place in the 2009 Special Primary Election to fill the 5th congressional district seat vacated by Rahm Emanuel, who resigned to serve as President Barack Obama's Chief of Staff.
- Representative Sara Feigenholtz page, Illinois General Assembly website, accessed 12 April 2011
- Sara Feigenholtz website, Biography page, accessed 12 April 2011
- COSDem (September 2, 2009). "Levin, Ellis B.". Our Campaigns. Retrieved July 16, 2017.
- "Chicago Gay and Lesbian Hall of Fame". www.glhalloffame.org. Retrieved 2016-08-01.
- Representative Sara Feigenholtz (D) 12th District at the Illinois General Assembly
- Representative Sara Feigenholtz constituency website
- Sara Feigenholtz for House Representative
- Profile at Project Vote Smart
- Financial information (federal office) at the Federal Election Commission
- Sara Feigenholtz at Illinois House Democrats