Sara Gazarek at the 2008 Java Jazz Festival
Seattle, Washington, U.S.
|Genres||Jazz, pop, rock|
|Labels||Native Language, Palmetto|
Sara Gazarek is an American jazz singer from Seattle.
Life and career
Gazarek was born in Seattle, Washington and moved to Los Angeles in 2000 to attend the Thornton School of Music at the University of Southern California. In college her teachers included Carmen Bradford, John Clayton, and Tierney Sutton. Clayton produced her first album, Yours (2005). The album was a critical and commercial success with a top ten ranking in the Billboard Traditional Jazz Charts as well as being the top album download in iTunes for Jazz in Germany and France. Clayton also produced her second album, Return to You (2007). She recorded Where Time Stands Still (2010) with the German band Triosence.
Awards and honors
- Outstanding Jazz Vocalist Award, Ella Fitzgerald Foundation
- Best Collegiate Vocalist, DownBeat magazine, 2003
- A critic at the Los Angeles Times called her "the next important jazz singer."
- Yours (Native Language, 2005)
- Live at the Jazz Bakery (Native Language, 2006)
- Return to You (Native Language, 2007)
- Where Time Stands Still – Triosence with Sara Gazarek (Charleston Square, 2010)
- Blossom & Bee (Palmetto, 2012)
- Duo with Josh Nelson (2015)
- Dream in the Blue with Josh Nelson (Steel Bird Music, 2016)
- "Sara Gazarek Biography" (PDF). William Morris Agency. Retrieved 2008-04-16.
- Skelly, Richard. "Sara Gazarek". AllMusic. Retrieved 20 August 2018.
- "Artist info on Sara Gazarek". Pacific Jazz Institute. Retrieved 29 August 2015.
- Heckman, Don (18 March 2006). "Sara Gazarek shows the fuss is deserved". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved 20 August 2018.