Sara Sampaio in Sports Illustrated Swimsuit 50th Anniversary, in 2014
|Born||Sara Pinto Sampaio
21 July 1991
|Height||1.72 m (5 ft 7 1⁄2 in)|
|Manager||Central Models (Portugal)
The Lions NY
Oui Management Paris
Models 1 London
Sara Pinto Sampaio (born 21 July 1991) is a Portuguese model best known for being a Victoria's Secret Angel and working for Calzedonia, as well as her appearance in the 2014 Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Issue, a first for a Portuguese supermodel, for which she won Rookie of the Year. She has appeared in magazines such as GQ, Elle, Vogue, Glamour and Sports Illustrated. She won Portuguese Golden Globes in 2011, 2012, 2014, 2015 and 2016 for Best Female Model.
Sara was discovered at the age of 15, but was not allowed to compete in modeling competitions until the age of 16. At the age of 16, she won a hair modeling contest in Portugal called Cabelos Pantene 2007. After the contest, she had the chance to be in a commercial in Portugal. Off the success of the contest and commercial, she was signed to an agency, however due to her strict parents, she had to finish high school before becoming professional.
After completing high school, Sara attended the University of Lisbon. She attended part-time because she was not allowed to be homeschooled. While in Lisbon, she got a part-time job as an editor until she had the opportunity to go international. She had the chance to be in a commercial in Portugal.
Sara’s dream was to work for Victoria’s Secret. After her agency sent in headshots, she was asked to audition. However, did not make it onto the Fashion Show. She would continue to pursue the runway though and would make her debut at the 2013 VS Fashion, where she would walk in one segment. Her sophomore performance in 2014 would see her walk in two segments. In 2015, she was chosen as one of the newest angels for the 2015 runway, and in December of the same year, she walked for the brand, for the first year as an angel.
She has been featured prominently in television ads for Axe body spray in the United States. In 2012, she was chosen for the cover of the April edition of Portuguese Vogue and to be the face of the international advertising campaign for Calzedonia Mar, Summer 2012, which was photographed by Raphael Mazzucco in Greece and Jamaica. She was the face of Calzedonia again in 2013, 2014 and 2015. She also appeared in the Replay Fall/Winter 11/12 campaign, alongside Irina Shayk, in the Blumarine Fall/Winter 11/12 campaign, with Adriana Lima and in the Armani Fall/Winter 11/12 campaign. In 2013, she appeared in the first edition of the year of the Portuguese GQ, where she was presented as the "eighth wonder of the world". She appeared in Rosa Cha 2013 campaign alongside Barbara Palvin. She made her debut in the Victoria's Secret Fashion Show on 13 November 2013. She walked in the Pink segment. She walked the following year in two segments and in 2015, she walked in two segments, for the first year, as an angel. She has appeared in the 2014 and 2015 editions of the Sports Illustrated Swimsuit edition and won the "Rookie of the year" award in 2014. Sampaio has been on the cover of L'Officiel, Vogue, Marie Claire, Glamour, Elle, Harper's Bazaar, GQ, Telva, etc. In 2015, Maxim honored the 20th anniversary of the brand Victoria's Secret and included Sampaio on the list "The 20 Most beautiful Angels of All time". In 2016, Sara, has walked in the Paris Fashion Week for: Elie Saab, Jean Paul Gaultier, Balmain and Miu Miu. In May she got her first cover in the United States, photographed by Gilles Bensimon to Maxim.
Sara Sampaio grew up in the outskirts of Porto, Portugal, then moved to New York City to start her career. In interviews with Vogue, Sampaio talks about being photographed nude. She considers her modeling a form of artistic expression, and nudity empowering. Sara feels confident and said in the interview, "At the end of the day, we were born naked, and that's the way we are gonna go". She believes everyone should feel comfortable in her own skin no matter shape or size. For this reason, Sara has spoken out against skinny shaming, and mentioned in an interview that the amount of hate that her and other Victoria's Secret models experience is ridiculous. She says that "every body is different and every metabolism is different". The model was part of "The Perfect Body" VS campaign that was later changed to "A Body for Everybody".
- First place, Cabelos Pantene Contest 2007
- Best Female Model, Portuguese Golden Globes Fashion Awards 2011
- Best Female Model, Vogue Portugal Fashion Awards 2011
- Best Female Model, Portuguese Golden Globes Fashion Awards 2012
- Best Female Model, Vogue Portugal Fashion Awards 2012
- 2013 Revelation Model of the Year by ¡Hola! magazine
- Best Female Model, Portuguese Golden Globes Fashion Awards 2014
- 2014 Rookie of the Year, Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Issue
- Best Female Model, Portuguese Golden Globes Fashion Awards 2015
- Best Female Model, Portuguese Golden Globes Fashion Awards 2016
- "Sara Sampaio Photogallery". Sarasampaio.com. Retrieved January 20, 2014.
- "Sara Sampaio emociona-se ao dedicar Globo de Ouro à avó". Caras Magazine. Retrieved January 20, 2013.
- Nomeados e vencedores da XXª edição, Caras Portugal (official website in portuguese)
- "Central News - Cabelo Pantene 2007". Centralmodels.pt. Retrieved January 20, 2013.
- Harris, Taylor (August 30, 2011). "Model Call: Sara Sampaio". WWD. Retrieved 2015-11-05.
- Victoria's Secret (August 22, 2015). "Sara Sampaio on Becoming a Victoria's Secret Angel". YouTube. Retrieved November 5, 2015.
- "Sara Sampaio brilha em campanha internacional!". Lux Magazine. Retrieved January 20, 2013.
- "Sara Sampaio ousada na capa da 'GQ'". Jornal de Noticias. Retrieved January 20, 2013.
- Correia, Stefanie (November 12, 2013). "Sara Sampaio desfila para Victoria´s Secret". Vogue Portugal. vogue.xl.pt. Retrieved November 15, 2013.
- "Sara in SI Swimsuit Edition".SI Swimsuit, Retrieved May 11, 2015
- "The 20 Most Beautiful Victoria's Secret Angels of All Time". Maxim. December 8, 2015. Retrieved June 5, 2016.
- "Sara Sampaio excitada com a sua primeira capa nos EUA". Sábado magazine (in Portuguese). sabado.pt. April 23, 2016. Retrieved June 5, 2016.
- Kallor, Amber(July 2, 2015). “VS Angel Sara Sampaio on Why Nudity is Empowering”. <http://www.vogue.com/13369252/lupita-nyongo-statement-winter-coat-dressing-celebrity-street-style/>Vogue. Retrieved November 9, 2015.
- Exil, Dina (November 19, 2014). "Victoria's Secret Model Sara Sampaio Slams Body-Shaming Bullies". HNGN.
- "Fashion Awards 2011: Os vencedores". vogue.xl.pt. Noticias (in Portuguese). Cofina Media. November 4, 2011.
- "Fashion Awards 2012: Os vencedores". vogue.xl.pt. Noticias (in Portuguese). Cofina Media. November 28, 2012.
- "Sara Sampaio, elegida la 'modelo revelación' de 2013" (in Spanish). Hola.com. November 20, 2013. Retrieved May 6, 2015.