|Born||Sarah Jane Stockbridge
14 November 1965
Woking, Surrey, England
|Occupation||Actress, model, author|
Sara Stockbridge (born Sarah Jane Stockbridge; 14 November 1965) is an English model, actress and author. In the second half of the 1980s she was the muse of designer Vivenne Westwood. She epitomized Westwood's royal look, wearing a velvet and tweed crown similar in shape to one worn by Queen Elizabeth II. Stockbridge's take on Marilyn Monroe, with smudged red lipstick, hair worn up in pin-curls, tight sweaters and heels was one of the iconic looks of the late 80s.
Stockbridge was born in Woking, Surrey, England. Her father was a civil engineer. Sara and her brother spent their early childhood with their family living in Trinidad, Bahrain, and Peru before returning to Woking in the late 1970s.
Stockbridge moved to London aged 18 and was taken on by Models 1. A couple of years later she modeled for Vivienne Westwood. The first fashion show she worked as model at was Mini Crini, Spring/Summer 1985. Afterwards Westwood asked her to front a music project called Choice. She appeared on the cover of i-D and Blitz magazines.
Sara modelled as Tank Girl for a series of promotional photos by photographer Paul Spencer, aiming to be cast as Tank Girl in the movie of the same name. Although she did not get the part, the photos became well known and were seen on the covers of magazines such as Elle, Vogue and The Face. She appeared as a shorn headed dominatrix in the British comedy film U.F.O.. In the film Oh Marbella! she plays the rich wife of a businessman at a nude resort in Spain. Stockbridge is still active in the modelling / acting world, and recently[when?] she returned for appearances on Westwood's runways, and in British Vogue.
Her son Max was born in 1990. She also has a daughter, Lelu. At 45 she married Cobalt Stargazer, lead guitarist with Zodiac Mindwarp and the Love Reaction. Together they formed a new band, Rooster, with Godwin Nwafor of Alabama 3.
- The Making of Plus One – (Rusty Robinson) 2010
- Enter the Void – (Suzy) 2009
- Rag Tale – (Sally May) 2005
- Spider – (Gladys)
- Oh Marbella! – (Maggie) 2003
- Bridget Jones's Diary – (Melinda) 2001
- Best – (Night Huntress)
- Go Now – (Bridget)
- The Wedding Tackle – (Felicity)
- Carry On Columbus – (Nina the Model)
- 24 Hours in London – (Simone)
- Interview with the Vampire – (Estelle)
- U.F.O. – (Zoe)
- Split Second – (Tiffany)
- Red Dwarf – Handmaiden from episode entitled Terrorform
- Glam Metal Detectives – (Various Roles)
- Comic Strip Presents – (Various Roles)
- The Bill – Gail Stuart, Liz Terry and Carol Tate in a variety of episodes.
- Grange Hill – Suzie Gilks, Maddie Gilks' mum.
- Tipping the Velvet (BBC Film) – Dickie
- Lucy Sullivan Is Getting Married (ITV) – Megan
- David (1997 biblical telefilm) – Witch of Endor
- Adam Ant's Music Video – 'Room at the Top
- Glam Metal Detectives' single Everybody Up!
- Blur's promotional video Country House
- Betty Boo's promotional video Hangover
- Duran Duran's promotional video Electric Barbarella – 1997
- Gun (band)'s promotional video Taking on the world
- "Biography for Sara Stockbridge". IMDb. Retrieved 2009-07-09.[dead link]
- "'I'm a bit of a weirdo… I like to touch things in museums'". The Herald. Retrieved 7 July 2009.[dead link]
- Chapman, Anna (21 June 2009). "My Space: Sara Stockbridge". The Guardian. Retrieved 12 December 2011.
- Tonkin, Boyd (22 July 2011). "One minute with Sara Stockbridge". The Independent. Retrieved 12 December 2011.
- "I get cross that I was so adrift as a young model, says Sara Stockbridge". Evening Standard. 30 August 2011. Retrieved 12 December 2011.