Sarah Baartman (ship)
|South AfricaSouth Africa|
|Operator:||Department of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries|
|Laid down:||July 2003|
|Launched:||17 June 2004|
|Commissioned:||10 January 2005|
|Class and type:||Offshore Environmental Protection Vessel|
|Length:||82.9 m (272 ft)|
|Beam:||13 m (43 ft)|
|Draught:||4 m (13 ft)|
|Depth of hold:||23.5 ft (7.2 m)|
|Range:||12,000 nautical miles (22,000 km) at 15 knots|
|Complement:||18 crew, 4 cadets, 7 officers|
|Aviation facilities:||Helicopter landing pad|
The Sarah Baartman is a South African environmental protection vessel—of the Damen Offshore Patrol Vessel 8313 class. The Sarah Baartman was commissioned on 10 January 2005. She was built by Damen Group, of the Netherlands, at one of its Romanian shipyards, and was designed to be capable of patrolling South Africa's entire EEZ, including the area around the southerly Prince Edward Islands.
The South African government has been criticized for chartering the Sarah Baartman to support offshore oil drilling.
The vessels carry limited equipment for enclosing and skimming oil spills, and fire-fighting water cannons.
- "Vessels patrolling from Simonstown: DAFF, DEA, DWA, and the Navy on latest developments; fishing rights: DAFF briefing – discussion postponed | Parliamentary Monitoring Group | Parliament of South Africa monitored". Pmg.org.za. 2012-11-06. Retrieved 2014-04-25.
- Leon Engelbrecht (10 October 2008). "Fact file: Sarah Baartman-class offshore environmental patrol vessel". Defence Web. Archived from the original on 2009-09-26. Retrieved 2009-09-26.
- "Recent deliveries: Damen offshore patrol vessel 8313, Sarah Baartman". Damen Group. December 2004. Archived from the original on 2009-10-04.
- "Damen OPV 8313: "Sarah Baartman"" (PDF). Damen Group. Archived from the original (PDF) on 2009-10-07.
- Ben Maclennan (2005-01-10). "SA ready to take on marine poachers". Independent Online. Retrieved 2011-12-05.
South Africa's ability to take on poachers in the Southern Ocean received a major boost on Monday when it took official delivery of its first deep-sea patrol vessel, the Sarah Baartman.mirror
- John Yeld (29 May 2007). "Trio arrested for perlemoen haul". Independent Online. Archived from the original on 2009-10-04.
- Bronwynne Esbach (29 September 2007). "Seaman killed aboard SA supply ship". The Independent Online. Archived from the original on 2009-10-06.
- "Sarah Baartman hauls in suspected poachers". The Independent Online. 18 May 2006. Archived from the original on 2009-10-06.
- Fouzia van der Fort (10 October 2007). "Supply ship murder accused denied bail". Independent Online. Archived from the original on 2009-10-07. Retrieved 2009-09-26.
- Sarah Glass (3 October 2007). "Tristan : SA Agulhas update". Tristan Times. Archived from the original on 2009-10-07.
- John Yeld (29 August 2008). "Anti-poaching boat 'outsourced'". Independent Online. Archived from the original on 2009-10-04.