Sarah Bolton (physicist)
|Sarah R. Bolton|
Sarah Bolton in 2016
|12th President of The College of Wooster|
Assumed office |
1st July 2016
|Preceded by||S. Georgia Nugent|
|Thesis||Dimensionality dependence of indium gallium arsenide nonlinear optical response (1996)|
|Doctoral advisor||Daniel S. Chemla|
Sarah Bolton is an American physicist and university administrator. She became the twelfth president of The College of Wooster in Wooster, Ohio, on July 1, 2016, following twenty-one years as dean of the college and professor of physics at Williams College in Williamstown, Massachusetts. She was inaugurated as the twelfth president of The College of Wooster on Saturday, October 22, 2016.
Bolton received her B.S. in physics and biophysics from Brown University (1988), and her Masters (1991) and Ph.D. (1995) from the University of California, Berkeley in Physics. Her doctoral thesis is titled "Dimensionality dependence of indium gallium arsenide nonlinear optical response."
Bolton came to Williams College as an assistant professor of physics in 1995, was promoted to associate professor in 2001, and full professor in 2007. She served as chair of the physics department from 2007-2010. She won Williams College’s Outstanding Mentor Award for Fostering Inclusive Academic Excellence in 2009. As dean of the college at Williams, Bolton supervised academic advising and supported programs such as off-campus study, international student services, and the registrar’s office. She was also active in creating policies and procedures for sexual assault prevention and response. In addition, she worked on projects addressing first-generation college students, and on efforts toward equity and inclusion on Williams’ campus.
Research and scholarship
Bolton’s research and scholarship explores the properties of novel, nanostructured materials, which have features made up of only a few atomic layers. She uses ultrafast pulsed lasers to investigate the ways that energy is transferred in these quantum mechanical systems. She has published in physics journals such as Physical Review A and Physical Review B.
- "Sarah Bolton | Physics". Physics.williams.edu. Retrieved 2016-02-29.
- "Sarah Bolton named 12th president of The College of Wooster". 2015-11-10. Archived from the original on 2015-12-08. Retrieved 5 February 2016.
- "Appointments, Resignations, Deaths (11/16/2015)". The Chronicle of Higher Education. Archived from the original on 2016-02-02. Retrieved 2016-02-01.
- "New presidents or provosts: Albany Antioch Delaware Fort Valley Santa Monica Southern Mississippi SEMU Spartanburg Texas State Wooster". www.insidehighered.com. Archived from the original on 2016-01-30. Retrieved 2016-02-01.
- "The Inauguration of Sarah R. Bolton | The College of Wooster". www.wooster.edu. Retrieved 2016-10-22.
- "Response to Petition Regarding Sexual Assault at Williams | Dean of the College". dean.williams.edu. Archived from the original on 2015-09-17. Retrieved 2016-02-05.
- "Sarah Bolton | Physics". physics.williams.edu. Archived from the original on 2015-09-16. Retrieved 2016-02-05.