This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (September 2012) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Early life and education
Bradford was born in Bournemouth in 1938, the daughter of Brigadier Hilary Anthony Hayes DSO OBE. She was educated at St Mary's School, Shaftesbury, Dorset. She won a State scholarship to Lady Margaret Hall, University of Oxford, but met Anthony Bradford, a real estate developer, at Oxford, and abandoned her degree to marry him. The couple lived in Barbados, Lisbon, and Sardinia; they had two children, but divorced.
She began her career as a writer with her first book, The Englishman's Wine, written while she lived in Portugal. She has now published more than a dozen major works. Her husband became 8th Viscount Bangor in 1993. She is fluent in four languages[which?] and has travelled extensively.[vague] The couple live in London. Bradford was interviewed in connection with the 1994 edition of the PBS video The Windsors: A Royal Family and with the 2007 BBC documentary Gladstone and Disraeli (presented by Huw Edwards), and assisted with the screenwriting for The Borgias, a 2011 television series. In 2012, she was working on a biography of Queen Victoria.
Her books have been translated into at least ten languages.
- Cesare Borgia (1976)
- The Borgias (with John Prebble) (1981)
- Disraeli (1982)
- Princess Grace (1984)
- George VI, Weidenfeld and Nicolson, London, 1989, ISBN 0-297-79667-4
- The Reluctant King (American version of George VI)
- Splendours and Miseries: A Life of Sacheverell Sitwell (1993)
- Elizabeth: A Biography of Her Majesty the Queen (1996); according to WorldCat, the book is in over 1760 libraries
- America's Queen: The Life of Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis (2000); according to WorldCat, the book is in over 1650 libraries
- Lucrezia Borgia: Life, Love and Death in Renaissance Italy, Viking, 2004, ISBN 0-670-03353-7
- Diana, Penguin Group, London, 2006, ISBN 978-0-670-91678-8; according to WorldCat, the book is in over 890 libraries
- Queen Elizabeth II: Her Life in Our Times, Penguin, London, 2011, ISBN 978-0-670-91911-6
- The Englishman's Wine: The Story of Port (1969)
- Portugal and Madeira (1969)
- Portugal (1973)
- "Birthdays". The Guardian. Guardian News & Media. 3 September 2014. p. 41.
- Mosley, Charles, ed. (2003). Burke's Peerage, Baronetage & Knighthood (107 ed.). Burke's Peerage & Gentry. ISBN 0-9711966-2-1.
- "Sarah Bradford: perhaps I got it wrong about the Duke of Edinburgh, but he does like to flirt". Telegraph. 3 December 2011. Retrieved 2 September 2012.
- WorldCat book page WorldCat author page
- "WorldCat book page". Worldcat.org. 11 April 2011. Retrieved 2 September 2012.
- WorldCat book page