Sarah Broadie, formerly known as Sarah Waterlow, is currently Professor of Moral Philosophy and Wardlaw Professor at the University of St Andrews. Broadie specialises in ancient philosophy, with a particular emphasis on Aristotle and Plato. Her work engages with metaphysics and both ancient and contemporary ethics. She has achieved numerous honours throughout her career as an academic philosopher. Previously Broadie has worked at the University of Edinburgh, University of Texas at Austin, Yale, Rutgers, and Princeton.
Awards and honours
Broadie's first major honour came in 1990 when she was elected as a Fellow of the American Academy of Arts and Sciences. In 2002, she was elected as a Fellow of the Royal Society of Edinburgh. Broadie was invited to give the Nellie Wallace Lectures at the University of Oxford in 2003. Her series was titled, 'Nature and Divinity in the Philosophies of Plato and Aristotle.' In the same year Broadie was also elected as a Fellow of the British Academy. In 2006 Broadie was elected as member of the Academia Europaea. Members of the Academia are nominated by peers and must eminent scholars in their fields. In 2012 Broadie became the 105th President of the Aristotelian Society, and delivered the Presidential Address titled 'Actual Instead.'
Broadie is an Honorary Fellow of Somerville College.
As Sarah Waterlow
- Nature, Change, and Agency in Aristotle's Physics: a philosophical study (Oxford University Press, Oxford, 1984)
- Passage and Possibility: a study of Aristotle's modal concepts (Oxford University Press, Oxford, 1984)
As Sarah Broadie
- Ethics with Aristotle (Oxford University Press, New York, 1991)
- Aristotle's Nicomachean Ethics: Philosophical Introduction and Commentary, with a new translation by Christopher Rowe (Oxford University Press, Oxford, 2002)
- "Sarah Broadie". University of St Andrews. The University of St Andrews. Retrieved 28 November 2016.
- "Research at St Andrews: Sarah Jean Broadie". University of St Andrews. The University of St Andrews. Retrieved 28 November 2016.
- "Academia Europaea". The Academy of Europe. Academia Europaea. Retrieved 28 November 2016.
- "Proceedings of the Aristotelian Society". The Aristotelian Society. The Aristotelian Society. Retrieved 28 November 2016.
- "The 105th Presidential Address to the Aristotelian Society: 'Actual Instead' Prof. Sarah Broadie (University of St. Andrews)". PhilEvents. The PhilPapers Foundation. Retrieved 28 November 2016.
- "Emeritus and Honorary Fellows". Somerville College, Oxford. Retrieved 26 August 2018.