Sarah Bartlett Churchwell (born 1970) is a professor of American Literature and Public Understanding of the Humanities at the University of London, UK. Her expertise is in 20th- and 21st-century fiction. She has appeared on British television and radio and has been a judge for the Booker Prize, the Women's Prize for Fiction, and the David Cohen Prize for Literature. She is the director of the Being Human festival.
Churchwell grew up in Winnetka, near Chicago, Illinois. She earned a BA in English Literature from Vassar College and an MA and PhD in English and American Literature from Princeton University.
Churchwell lectured at the University of East Anglia from 1999 until 2016, when she became Professor of American Literature and Public Understanding of the Humanities and director of the Being Human festival at the School of Advanced Study of the London University. She has written for The Times Literary Supplement, The New York Times Book Review, The Spectator, the New Statesman, The Guardian and The Observer. Her books include The Many Lives of Marilyn Monroe (2004); and Careless People: Murder, Mayhem and the Invention of The Great Gatsby (2013) about F. Scott Fitzgerald. Her television appearances include on Newsnight, Question Time, The Review Show, and The Sharp End with Clive Anderson.
- The Many Lives of Marilyn Monroe. Picador, 2005. ISBN 0312425651.
- What Americans Like. Henry Holt, 2010. ISBN 080508164X.
- Careless People: Murder, Mayhem and the Invention of The Great Gatsby. Little, Brown Book Group Ltd, 2013. ISBN 1844087670.
- Behold America: A History of America First and the American Dream. Bloomsbury, 2018. ISBN 9781408894804.
- "Sarah Churchwell to lead public engagement at School of Advanced Study". School of Advanced Study, University of London. 14 July 2015. Retrieved 21 September 2015.
- "Sarah Churchwell". The New Statesman. Retrieved 26 June 2018.
- "Sarah Churchwell", Prague Writers' Festival. Retrieved 16 October 2012.
- "Sarah Churchwell", Newsnight Review, BBC. Retrieved 16 October 2012.
- "Meet The Man Booker Prrize 2014 Judges", 12 December 2013. Retrieved 26 June 2018.
- "Prof Sarah Churchwell (AMA) has been announced as the joint winner of the 2015 Eccles British Library Writer-in-Residence Award", UEA], 3 December 2014.
- "Sarah Churchwell wins the 2015 Eccles British Library Writer in Residence Award", 31 October 2014, Virago.