||This article provides insufficient context for those unfamiliar with the subject. Learn how and when to remove this template message) (December 2013) (|
The Scaife Foundations refer collectively to four foundations in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. Each foundation states that it works on a separate issue or in a different way to improve the lives of people across the world. The four subdivisions are: the Allegheny Foundation, the Carthage Foundation, the Sarah Scaife Foundation, and the Scaife Family Foundation.
Richard Mellon Scaife endowed the foundation and served as the chairman. It makes grants to historical, educational, political, and environmental organizations, especially those located or serving Western Pennsylvania. From 1985 to 2006 the foundation awarded over $36 million USD to other organizations.
In 2007, the Allegheny Foundation made grants of $3,195,500 USD to 45 organizations. The five organizations receiving the largest grants were:
- Boys and Girls Club of Western Pennsylvania, $440,000
- Loyalhanna Watershed Association, $275,000
- Pennsylvania Trolley Museum, $262,000
- Imani Christian Academy, $250,000
- Extra Mile Education Foundation, $250,000
The 2007 annual report also noted that, as of 2007-12-31, the foundation had nearly $55 million USD in cash and common stocks.
The Carthage Foundation does not award grants to individuals. It concentrates its efforts towards causes focused on public policy at a national and international level. From 1985 to 2003 the organization awarded over $68 million USD to other organizations.
Sarah Scaife Foundation
The Sarah Scaife Foundation does not award grants to individuals. It concentrates its efforts towards causes focused on public policy at a national and international level. From 1985 to 2003 the organization awarded over $235 million to other organizations.
Scaife Family Foundation
The Scaife Family Foundation does not award grants to individuals. It concentrates its efforts towards causes focused on families, women, children, and animal welfare. From 1985 to 2001 the organization awarded over $77 million USD to other organizations.
- "Allegheny Foundation grant receipts". Media Transparency. Retrieved 2008-07-22.
- "2007 Annual Report" (PDF) (Press release). Allegheny Foundation. Retrieved 2008-07-22.
- "Sarah Scaife Foundation Annual Report" (PDF). 2011. Retrieved July 25, 2016.
- Stewart, James B. (June 13, 2012). "How Broccoli Landed on Supreme Court Menu". The New York Times.
- Scaife Foundations website
- Scaife Foundations: Allegheny Foundation
- Allengheny Foundation grant recipients from 1985-2006
- Scaife Foundations: Carthage Foundation
- Carthage Foundation grant recipients from 1985-2003
- Scaife Foundations: Sarah Scaife Foundation
- Sarah Scaife Foundation grant recipients from 1985-2003
- Scaife Family Foundation
- Scaife Family Foundation grant recipients from 1985-2001