|35th Lord Lieutenant of Wiltshire|
|Assumed office |
|Preceded by||John Barnard Bush|
Sarah Rose Colman
3 May 1953
|Parents||Sir Timothy Colman|
Lady Mary Bowes-Lyon
Sarah Rose Troughton Lord Lieutenant of Wiltshire, appointed with effect from February 2012. She is the first woman to hold the position since it was created in the 16th century. A cousin of Elizabeth II, for ten years she was lady-in-waiting to Katharine, Duchess of Kent.(née Colman; born 3 May 1953) is the
Early life and family
Troughton is the eldest of the five children of Sir Timothy Colman KG, a past Lord Lieutenant of Norfolk, and of the late Lady Mary Cecilia Bowes-Lyon, a granddaughter of Claude Bowes-Lyon, 14th Earl of Strathmore and Kinghorne. Her maternal grandfather was a brother of Queen Elizabeth The Queen Mother, so that she is a first cousin twice removed of the present Earl of Strathmore and a first cousin once removed of Elizabeth II. Her ancestor Jeremiah Colman (1777–1851) made a fortune from Colman's mustard, a business which eventually grew into Reckitt & Colman, of which her father was a director until 1989. In 1977 she married Peter Troughton (born 1948), a member of the Diplomatic Service and the eldest son of Sir Charles Hugh Willis Troughton, chairman of W H Smith. They have a son and two daughters.
Living at Wanborough, near Swindon, she became a trustee of the Community Foundation for Wiltshire and Swindon, a role in which she still serves, and is also President of Community First/Youth Action Wiltshire and chairman of the Chelsea Physic Garden. She became a Deputy Lieutenant of Wiltshire in 2006. In December 2011, with effect from February 2012, she was promoted to the Lord Lieutenancy. Her Vice-Lieutenant is Charles Petty-Fitzmaurice, 9th Marquess of Lansdowne.
As Lord Lieutenant, her public duties include overseeing arrangements for visits to Wiltshire by members of the Royal Family and escorting royal visitors; representing The Queen at events and presenting awards and medals on her behalf; liaising with the Wiltshire units of the Royal Navy, Army and Royal Air Force; leading the local magistracy as chairman of the Lord Chancellor’s Advisory Committee on Justices of the Peace; and advising on nominations for national honours.
- Charles Mosley, ed., Burke's Peerage and Baronetage, 107th edition, vol. 2 (2003), p. 1639
- ‘COLMAN, Sir Timothy (James Alan)’, in Who's Who 2012 (London: A & C Black, 2012)
- 'TROUGHTON, Sir Charles (Hugh Willis)’, in Who Was Who, online edition (subscription needed) by Oxford University Press, 2007, accessed 26 May 2012
- Sarah Rose Troughton at thepeerage.com, accessed 7 May 2012
- The Diplomatic Service List 1976 (London: HMSO, 1976), p. 425: "Troughton, Peter John Charles; Second Secretary FCO since June 1975; born 18.6.48; FCO 1970; Third later Second Secretary Jakarta 1973."
- Debrett's Peerage & Baronetage online edition, p. 1360 (subscription required), accessed 26 May 2012
- London Gazette, issue 57993 of 26 May 2006, p. 7299
- Morwenna Blake, Queen appoints new Lord Lieutenant from Salisbury Journal dated 3 December 2011 online at salisburyjournal.co.uk, accessed 7 May 2012
- "Order of St John". The Gazette. 15 January 2013. Retrieved 10 January 2021.
- "Other Notices | The Gazette". www.thegazette.co.uk. Retrieved 11 May 2021.
John Barnard Bush
| Lord Lieutenant of Wiltshire