Sarah Wayne Callies
Sarah Wayne Callies
Callies at the 2016 San Diego Comic-Con
|Born||June 1, 1977|
La Grange, Illinois, U.S.
|Alma mater||Dartmouth College|
National Theatre Conservatory (MFA, 2002)
Sarah Wayne Callies (born June 1, 1977) is an American actress. She is known for starring as Sara Tancredi in Fox's Prison Break and as Lori Grimes in AMC's The Walking Dead. She has also starred as Katie Bowman in USA Network's Colony and Robin Perry in NBC's Council of Dads.
Callies was born in La Grange, Illinois, the daughter of Valerie Wayne and David E. Callies, respectively English and Law professors at the University of Hawaii, Manoa. At age one, Callies moved to Honolulu, Hawaii with her family. Throughout her youth, she expressed an interest in acting through participating in various school plays at the independent Punahou School. After graduating from high school, she entered Dartmouth College in Hanover, New Hampshire. In conjunction with her studies, Callies remained involved in theatre. She continued her education at the National Theatre Conservatory, where she obtained her Master of Fine Arts degree in 2002.
Callies moved to New York in 2003 and then quickly landed her first television role as Kate O'Malley, a recurring part on the short-lived CBS show Queens Supreme. Her first starring role was as Detective Jane Porter on The WB's Tarzan.
After making various guest appearances on Law & Order: Special Victims Unit, Dragnet (2003), and NUMB3RS, Callies gained a starring role on Fox's Prison Break as Sara Tancredi. She played the role in the first two seasons, but her character was killed off for the third season before being brought back for the fourth season. According to Prison Break's executive producer Matt Olmstead, although the writers, the network, Callies herself, and he all wanted her to stay on the show, the character was written out due to contract disputes. She stated through a spokesperson to TV Guide in fall 2007:
"As hard as we all tried, the Prison Break powers that be and I was unable to find a way to meet both the needs of the story and the needs of my family. We parted wishing each other well. I had a wonderful time working with the creative team and have a world of respect for all of them; they took great care of Sara. I'm also enormously grateful to the fans. They've been so gracious and supportive, and I hope they continue to enjoy the show."
However, in March 2008, Olmstead stated that the character of Sara is still alive and would return in season four. Though the character Sara Tancredi appeared to have a violent death, Olmstead stated "...we realized that there was actually a way she could still be alive." Executive Producer Matt Olmstead admitted the fans' overwhelming response to her death had influenced the decision to bring the character, and Callies, back to the show.
The Walking Dead
In 2010, Callies was cast in the major role of Lori Grimes on the AMC horror/drama series The Walking Dead, based on the comic-book series of the same name. The drama became the highest-rated show in that cable channel's history. Callies played the role from the show's start until season three.
Callies has also starred in two feature films - Universal Pictures' Whisper and an independent film, The Celestine Prophecy. In April 2010, she appeared on the Fox Television drama House as a patient of the week, whose open marriage fascinates House and the team. In August 2010, Callies' first screenplay, an adaptation of Campbell Geeslin's children's book Elena's Serenade, was optioned by French production company Fulldawa Films. Callies starred in the Nigerian movie Black Gold (2011) and one of the female lead roles in the Canadian thriller Faces in the Crowd (2011). In 2015, she co-starred with Nicolas Cage in Uli Edel's thriller film Pay the Ghost. In 2016, she returned to television in the lead role of Katie Bowman in Colony.
On July 21, 2002, Callies married Josh Winterhalt, whom she met at Dartmouth. On January 23, 2007, her publicist announced that the couple were expecting their first child. Their daughter was born in 2007. Their second child, an adopted son, was born in 2013.
|2006||The Celestine Prophecy||Marjorie|
|2010||Lullaby for Pi||Josephine|
|2011||Black Gold||Kate Summers|
|Faces in the Crowd||Francine|
|2012||Black November||Kate Summers|
|2014||Into the Storm||Allison Stone|
|2015||Pay the Ghost||Kristen|
|2016||The Other Side of the Door||Maria|
|2003||Dragnet||Kathryn "Kate" Randall||Episode: "The Brass Ring"|
|Law & Order: Special Victims Unit||Jenny Rochester||Episode: "Privilege"|
|Queens Supreme||Kate O'Malley||Episode: "Flawed Heroes"|
|Tarzan||Jane Porter||Main role|
|2004||The Secret Service||Laura Kelly||Pilot|
|2005||Numbers||Kim Hall||Episode: "Counterfeit Reality"|
|2005–2009; 2017||Prison Break||Sara Tancredi||Main role (seasons 1–2, 4–5)|
|2007||Queens Supreme||Kate O'Malley||4 episodes|
|2009||Prison Break: The Final Break||Sara Tancredi||Television film|
|2010||House||Julia||Episode: "Open and Shut"|
|Tangled||Chloe / Sally||Pilot|
|2010–2013; 2018||The Walking Dead||Lori Grimes||Main cast (seasons 1–3)|
Voice (season 9, episode "What Comes After")
|2016–2018||Colony||Katie Bowman||Main role|
|2017||The Long Road Home||Leann Volesky||Main role|
|Robot Chicken||Lori Grimes (voice)||Episode: "The Robot Chicken Walking Dead Special: Look Who's Walking"|
|2018||Letterkenny||Anita Dyck||Supporting role|
|2019||Unspeakable||Margaret Sanders||Main role|
|2020||Council of Dads||Robin Perry||Main role|
Awards and nominations
|2011||Saturn Awards||Best Actress on Television||The Walking Dead||Nominated|
|2012||Scream Awards||Best Horror Actress||The Walking Dead||Nominated|
|Satellite Awards||Best Cast – Television Series||The Walking Dead||Won|
|2017||Leo Awards||Best Supporting Performance by a Female in a Motion Picture||The Show||Nominated|
- "It's 'Tarzan' and she's Jane, once a Punahou star - The Honolulu Advertiser - Hawaii's Newspaper". honoluluadvertiser.com.
- Gary C.W. Chun (March 20, 2006). "Prison M.D." Honolulu Star-Bulletin. Retrieved March 20, 2006.
- "Sarah Wayne Callies". tvguide.com. TV Guide. Retrieved April 19, 2015.
- Prison Break Exclusive: The Real Story Behind Sara's Death Ausiello Report, TVGuide.com, October 8, 2007, Retrieved March 28, 2008
- TV Guide Editors' Blogs: Prison Break Stunner: Sarah Wayne Callies Returns!, Michael Ausiello, TVGuide.com, March 27, 2008, Retrieved March 28, 2008
- Breaking! Prison Break Brings Back Sarah Wayne Callies! Kristin, eonline.com, March 27, 2008, Retrieved March 31, 2008
- "'The Walking Dead' Season 4: AMC, Glen Mazzara Part Ways For New Season". HuffPost. December 21, 2012. Retrieved June 8, 2020.
- Bibel, Sara (October 13, 2014). "'The Walking Dead' Season 5 Premiere Hits Series High Ratings in Adults 18-49 & Viewers". TV by the Numbers. Archived from the original on April 19, 2015. Retrieved October 13, 2014.
- TV: Rick Grimes' Wife Lori Cast for AMC's 'The Walking Dead'
- "Josh Holloway and Sarah Wayne Callies set to star in Whisper". movieweb.com. April 13, 2005. Retrieved May 15, 2017.
- "Sarah Wayne Callies teases 'House' cameo". Digital Spy. April 26, 2010. Retrieved May 15, 2017.
- "'Prison Break' actress' screenplay optioned". Hollywood reporter. September 8, 2010. Retrieved November 15, 2012.
- 'Faces in the Crowd' Begins Filming, Full Cast Revealed
- RLJ Entertainment to Pay the Ghost For Nic Cage’s Hair
- "How 'Walking Dead' (and Nicolas Cage) Helped Sarah Wayne Callies Book 'Colony'". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved October 7, 2016.
- "Sarah Wayne Callies- Biography". Yahoo! Movies. Archived from the original on February 9, 2013. Retrieved November 15, 2012.
- "Update: Sarah Wayne Callies welcomes a daughter". People. Retrieved November 6, 2019.
- "Entertainment US Into The Storm". AP Entertainment. March 29, 2014.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Sarah Wayne Callies.|