|Alma mater||University of South Florida (USF), Tampa |
Indian Institute of Science (IISc), Bangalore
Orissa University of Agriculture and Technology (OUAT), Bhubaneswar
|Occupation(s)||professor, author, scientist, Editor, computer engineer|
|Known for||Hardware-assisted electronic system security, secure digital camera, mixed-signal systems, nanoelectronics systems, metamodeling, design for x, high-level synthesis, energy-efficient electronic system design|
|Notable work||Nanoelectronic Mixed-Signal System Design, McGraw-Hill, 2015, ISBN 978-0071825719|
|Awards||IEEE-CS-TCVLSI Distinguished Leadership Award in 2018
President's Scout Award in 1988
Saraju Mohanty is an Indian-American professor of the Department of Computer Science and Engineering, and the director of the Smart Electronic Systems Laboratory, at the University of North Texas in Denton, Texas. Mohanty received a Glorious India Award – Rich and Famous NRIs of America in 2017 for his contributions to the discipline. Mohanty is a researcher in the areas of "smart electronics for smart cities/villages", "smart healthcare", "application-Specific things for efficient edge computing", and "methodologies for digital and mixed-signal hardware". He has made significant research contributions to security by design (SbD) for electronic systems, hardware-assisted security (HAS) and protection, high-level synthesis of digital signal processing (DSP) hardware, and mixed-signal integrated circuit computer-aided design and electronic design automation. Mohanty has been the editor-in-chief (EiC) of the IEEE Consumer Electronics Magazine during 2016-2021. He has held the Chair of the IEEE Computer Society's Technical Committee on Very Large Scale Integration during 2014-2018. He holds 4 US patents in the areas of his research, and has published 450 research articles and 5 books.
Saraju Mohanty started his schooling at Lodhachua, Nayagarh, Odisha. After graduating from Badagada Government High School, Bhubaneswar in 1988, Mohanty completed a 10+2 Science degree from Rajdhani College, Bhubaneswar in 1990. He received his bachelor's degree in electrical engineering from the College of Engineering and Technology, Bhubaneswar, Orissa University of Agriculture and Technology, in 1995.
In 1999 Mohanty completed a master's degree in engineering in Systems Science and Automation from the Indian Institute of Science in Bangalore, India. His thesis mentors at IISc were Professor K. R. Ramakrishnan and Professor Mohan Kankanhalli (IEEE Fellow) with whom he co-authored his first peer-reviewed paper. Mohanty earned a PhD in computer engineering from the University of South Florida in 2003. His PhD mentor was Professor N. Ranganathan (IEEE Fellow and AAAS Fellow).
Contributions to security and IP protection of consumer electronic systems
Mohanty has worked on the Secure Digital Camera (SDC) for real-time security and IP protection at the source end of the information. In the Internet of Things (IoT) framework the SDC can be a sensor node (aka thing) for real-time trustworthy sensing. The SDC can have applications where still image or video digital cameras are needed, such as secure digital video broadcasting, secure video surveillance, electronic passport, and identity card processing. The secure digital camera (SDC) has been adopted by various researchers worldwide.
Contributions to high-level synthesis of digital signal processing (DSP) hardware
Mohanty has worked to high-level synthesis (HLS) or architecture-level synthesis of digital signal processing (DSP) hardware. His methods address energy consumption and power fluctuation in DSP hardware which are heart of consumer electronic systems such that battery life and battery efficiency increases. His nanoelectronic-based High-level synthesis techniques addresses the issue of process variations, the primary issue of nanoelectronic technology, during the high-level synthesis itself before the digital design moves to the detailed and lower levels of design abstractions, such as logic-level or transistor-level.
Contributions to analog electronics and mixed-signal circuits
Mohanty has worked on design space exploration and optimization of analog/mixed-signal system on a chip (AMS-SoC) which is essentially the technology representation of a consumer electronics such as a smart mobile phone. The key feature of these design flows is the need for only two manual layout (or physical design) iterations which saves significant design effort. These fast design flows rely on accurate metamodels of the analog and mixed-signal circuit components. This research advances the state-of-the art in Design for Excellence (DfX) or Design for X, such as Design for Variability (DfV) and Design for Cost (DfC).
Selected editor and conference chair positions
- Editor-in-chief of the IEEE Consumer electronics Magazine (MCE).
- Founding editor-in-chief of the VLSI Circuits and Systems Letter, IEEE-CS TCVLSI.
- Steering committee member, IEEE Transactions on Big Data (TBD), 2018—present.
- Associate editor, IEEE Transactions on Computer-Aided Design of Integrated Circuits and Systems (TCAD)
- Associate editor, ACM Journal on Emerging Technologies in Computing Systems (JETC)
- Associate editor, IEEE Transactions on Nanotechnology (TNANO)
- Associate editor, IET Circuits, Devices & Systems Journal (CDS)
- Steering Committee Chair, IEEE International Symposium on Nanoelectronic and Information Systems (iNIS)
- Steering Committee vice-chair, IEEE-CS Symposium on VLSI (ISVLSI)
- Steering Committee vice-chair, OITS International Conference on Information Technology (ICIT)
- General Chair, 36th IEEE International Conference on Consumer Electronics (ICCE), January 12–14, 2018, Las Vegas, USA.
- Fulbright Specialist Award by U.S. Department of State's Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs and World Learning in 2020.
- IEEE Consumer Electronics Society Outstanding Service Award for 2019 for leadership contributions to the IEEE Consumer Electronics society.
- IEEE Consumer Electronics Society Chester Sall Award in 2020 for the Second place best paper in the IEEE Transactions on Consumer Electronics in 2018.
- The PROSE Award for best Textbook in Physical Sciences & Mathematics category from the Association of American Publishers (AAP) in 2016.
- The UNT Toulouse Scholars Award for outstanding scholarship and teaching achievements in 2016–2017.
- The University of North Texas, Dept. of Computer Science and Engineering, Smart Electronic Systems Laboratory (SESL), http://www.smohanty.org/SESL/index.html
- The University of North Texas, Dept. of Computer Science and Engineering, http://www.cse.unt.edu/site/node/91
- US-based NRI Achievers Honoured With Glorious India Awards, , The Telegraph India, June 7, 2017.
- Research Interests, Professor Mohanty, http://www.smohanty.org/Research.html
- IEEE Consumer Electronics Magazine, http://cesoc.ieee.org/publications/ce-magazine.html Archived July 12, 2016, at the Wayback Machine
- Mohanty serves as the chair of the Technical Committee on Very Large Scale Integration (TCVLSI), https://facultysuccess.unt.edu/dr-saraju-mohanty-serves-chair-technical-committee-very-large-scale-integration-tcvlsi
- Technical Committee on VLSI, http://www.computer.org/portal/web/tandc/tcvlsi
- ResearchGate – Saraju Mohanty, https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Saraju_Mohanty
- Google Scholar List – Saraju Mohanty, https://scholar.google.com/scholar?hl=en&q=saraju+mohanty
- DBLP – Saraju Mohanty, http://dblp.uni-trier.de/pers/hd/m/Mohanty:Saraju_P=.html
- CET Bhubaneswar observes Annual Alumni Meet, http://www.odishanewsinsight.com/events/cet-bhubaneswar-observes-annual-alumni-meet/, December 31, 2015.
- Unitary University Status For CET Demanded, The Pioneer, http://www.dailypioneer.com/state-editions/bhubaneswar/unitary-university-status-for-cet-demanded.html, Thursday, December 31, 2015.
- S. P. Mohanty, "Watermarking of Digital Images", Master of Engineering in System Science and Automation Thesis, Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore, January 1999, http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.10.1673&rep=rep1&type=pdf
- "Past Postdocs and Graduated Students". Retrieved August 8, 2016.
- S. P. Mohanty, K. R. Ramakrishnan, and M. S. Kanakanhalli, "A Dual Watermarking Technique for Images", in Proceedings of the 7th ACM International Multimedia Conference (ACMMM) (Vol. 2), pp.49–51, 1999.
- S. P. Mohanty, "Energy and Transient Power Minimization During Behavioral Synthesis", PhD Dissertation, Department of Computer Science and Engineering, University of South Florida, 2003, http://etd.fcla.edu/SF/SFE0000129/SarajuDissertationFinal.pdf
- Nagarajan "Ranga" Ranganathan, Department of Computer Science and Engineering, University of South Florida, Tampa, FL 33620, http://www.usf.edu/engineering/cse/documents/ranganathan-cv.pdf
- Thomas Winkler, Adam Erdelyi, and Bernhard Rinner, "TrustEYE M4: Protecting the Sensor—not the Camera", in Proceedings of the International Conference on Advanced Video and Signal Based Surveillance, 2014.
- S. D. Roy, X. Li, Y. Shoshan, A. Fish, and O. Yadid-Pecht, "Hardware Implementation of a Digital Watermarking System for Video Authentication". IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems for Video Technology. 23 (2), 2013, pp. 289–301.
- C. -T. Yen, T. Wu, M. -H. Guo, C. -K. Yang, and H. -C. Chao, "Digital product transaction mechanism for electronic auction environment". IET Information Security. 4 (4), 2010, pp. 248–257.
- Saraju Mohanty and Elias Kougianos, "Simultaneous Power Fluctuation and Average Power Minimization during Nano-CMOS Behavioral Synthesis", in Proceedings of the 20th International Conference on VLSI Design, pp. 577–582, 2007.
- Mohanty, S. P.; Gomathisankaran, M.; Kougianos, E. (2014). "Variability-Aware Architecture Level Optimization Techniques for Robust Nanoscale Chip Design". Computers and Electrical Engineering Journal. 40 (1): 168–193. doi:10.1016/j.compeleceng.2013.11.026.
- Chen, Y.; Wang, Y.; Takach, A.; Xie, Y. "Parametric Yield Driven Resource Binding in High-Level Synthesis with Multi-Vth Vdd Library and Device Sizing". Journal of Electrical and Computer Engineering. 2012: 105250.
- S. P. Mohanty and N. Ranganathan, "A Framework for Energy and Transient Power Reduction during Behavioral Synthesis", IEEE Transactions on Very Large Scale Integration Systems, Vol. 12, No. 6, June 2004, pp. 562–572.
- "Unified Challenges in Nano-CMOS High-Level Synthesis", Invited Talk, 22nd IEEE International Conference on VLSI Design, 2009.
- S. P. Mohanty, Nanoelectronic Mixed-Signal System Design, McGraw-Hill, 2015, ISBN 978-0071825719.
- DFX for Nanoelectronic Embedded Systems, Keynote Address at First IEEE Sponsored International Conference on Control, Automation, Robotics and Embedded System, CARE-2013, "Welcome to Care 2013". Archived from the original on October 9, 2013. Retrieved August 3, 2014. Archived October 9, 2013, at the Wayback Machine.
- TCVLSI Annual Awards, https://www.computer.org/web/tcvlsi/tcvlsi-annual-awards
- Professor Saraju Mohanty receives IEEE Distinguished Leadership Award, https://engineering.unt.edu/news/professor-saraju-mohanty-receives-ieee-distinguished-leadership-award
- IEEE Consumer Electronics Magazine, http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/xpl/aboutJournal.jsp?punumber=5962380
- VLSI Circuits and Systems Letter (VCAL) – Editorial Board, https://www.computer.org/web/tcvlsi/editorial-board
- IEEE Transactions on Big Data, https://www.computer.org/web/tbd/about
- IEEE TCAD Editorial Board, http://ieee-ceda.org/publications/tcad/editorial-board
- ACM JETC Editorial Board, http://jetc.acm.org/editorial_board.cfm
- Editorial Board, IEEE Transactions on Nanotechnology, http://sites.ieee.org/tnano/editorial-board/saraju-mohanty/
- IET CDS Editorial Board, http://digital-library.theiet.org/journals/iet-cds/editorial-board
- IEEE International Symposium on Nanoelectronic and Information Systems (iNIS), http://www.ieee-inis.org/
- IEEE-CS Symposium on VLSI (ISVLSI), http://www.isvlsi.org/
- International Conference on Information Technology (ICIT), http://www.oits-icit.org/
- IEEE International Conference on Consumer Electronics (ICCE), http://www.icce.org
- Consumer Electronics Society Awards Presented in 2020, https://ieeexplore.ieee.org/stamp/stamp.jsp?tp=&arnumber=9109405
- Mohanty receives Fulbright for IoT security, https://engineering.unt.edu/news/mohanty-receives-fulbright-iot-security
- Recipients of the IEEE Consumer Electronics Society Outstanding Service Award,https://cesoc.ieee.org/awards/outstanding-service.html
- Mohanty receives outstanding service award from IEEE, https://engineering.unt.edu/news/mohanty-receives-outstanding-service-award-ieee
- 2020 IEEE Consumer Electronics Society Chester Sall Awards for 2018 TCE Articles, https://cesoc.ieee.org/awards/sall.html
- "2016 Winners – R. R. Hawkins Award". Association of American Publishers. Retrieved October 9, 2020.
- Toulouse Scholar Award, https://vpaa.unt.edu/fs/recognition/list/toulouse