|Yang Berhomat Datuk
|Member of the Malaysian Parliament
for Tapah, Perak
|Preceded by||Veerasingam Suppiah (MIC–BN)|
4 February 1968 |
Datuk Saravanan s/o. Murugan (born 4 February 1968) (Tamil : முருகன் சரவணன்) commonly referred to as M. Saravanan, is the member of the Parliament of Malaysia for the Tapah constituency in Perak. He is a member of the Malaysian Indian Congress (MIC) and is the Deputy Minister of Youth and Sports in the Barisan Nasional coalition government of Najib Tun Razak.
Before being elected to the Dewan Rakyat (the lower house of Malaysia's Parliament), Saravanan was a Senator. In the 2008 general election, he contested the seat of Tapah and won, defeating a People's Justice Party (PKR) candidate. The MIC suffered widespread losses at the election, leaving Saravanan as one of only three MIC members in the Dewan Rakyat. Despite his party's reduced presence in Parliament and the ruling Barisan Nasional coalition, Saravanan was appointed as a Deputy Minister.
Within the MIC, Saravanan is seen as an ally of its President Samy Vellu, being elected as a vice-president of the MIC on Vellu's ticket and defending Vellu from opposition attacks. However he lost in the party re-election close fight for the position of Deputy President in 2015 to another MIC Vice-President, S. K. Devamany.
|2008||M. Saravanan (MIC)||14,084||53%||Tan Seng Toh (PKR)||11,064||41%|
|2013||M. Saravanan (MIC)||20,670||56%||K. Vasantha Kumar (PKR)||12,743||34%||Shaharuzzaman Bistamam (BERJASA)||2,053||6%|
|Ridzuan bin Bani
- "Court Allows Saravanan To Strike Out Former Business Partner's Application". Bernama. 13 April 2010. Retrieved 16 June 2010.
- "M. Saravanan, Y.B. Datuk" (in Malay). Parliament of Malaysia. Retrieved 16 June 2010.
- "All made it – except for one". The Star (Malaysia). 11 May 2003. Retrieved 6 January 2010.
- Retna, S. (9 March 2008). "End For Samy Vellu's Legacy After Historic Loss at Sg Siput". Bernama. Retrieved 6 January 2010.
- "4 ethnic Indians in new Malaysian cabinet". PTI. 18 March 2008. Retrieved 6 January 2010.
- "Vote for the President's Men, Says Samy Vellu". Bernama. 10 September 2009. Retrieved 6 January 2010.
- Retna, S. (27 December 2008). "Saravanan Slams Karpal, Defends Samy Vellu". Bernama. Retrieved 6 January 2010.
- "Saravanan loses race for MIC No 2". Malaysiakini. 6 November 2015. Retrieved 28 May 2016.
- KHOO, SIMON (6 November 2015). "Devamany is new MIC deputy president". The Star (Malaysia). Retrieved 28 May 2016.
- "Devamany beats Saravanan in race for MIC deputy president". The Malay Mail. 6 November 2015. Retrieved 28 May 2016.
- "Keputusan Pilihan Raya Umum Parlimen/Dewan Undangan Negeri". Election Commission of Malaysia. Retrieved 11 July 2010. Percentage figures based on total turnout.
- "Malaysia Decides 2008". The Star (Malaysia). Retrieved 6 January 2010..
- "2013 Malaysia General Election NEGERI PERAK P72 Tapah". Election Commission of Malaysia. Retrieved 5 May 2013. Results only available for the 2013 election.
|This article about a Malaysian politician is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|