|• Density||235/km2 (610/sq mi)|
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
|Sex ratio||931/1000 ♂/♀|
Location and transport
Sardarshahr is situated 255 kilometers from state capital Jaipur and 52 kilometers from District headquarters Churu. It has its own RSRTC bus depot which is operational here since 1976. It is also connected to Ratangarh through a railway line. The railway line ends here and the train returns to the Ratangarh Junction. The transport inside the city is mainly of Auto-Rickshaw.
It is the birthplace of the Eleventh Acharya of Jain Swetambar Terapanth, Acharya Shri Mahashramanji. It also has the Acharya Mahapragya Samadhi Sthal.
The railway line ends here and the train returns to the Ratangarh Junction. Sardarshahr is known for its fine musicians and shadi bands.
Sardarshahar has become an education hub in the district. The IASE Deemed University is a constituent of Gandhi Vidya Mandir. The foundation stone of the 1,200-acre (4.9 km2) university campus was laid in 1955 by the first President of India Dr. Rajendra Prasad. It educates over 10,000 students from kindergarten to post-graduate and Ph.D. A Jawahar Navodaya Vidyalaya is located in Sardarshahar. Rajasthan Shri Bhartiya Adarsh Vidya Peeth Sr Sec School is another famous school of the region. Bal Mandir Senior Secondary School occupies a sprawling campus in the heart of town. The oldest English medium school in the town is Krishna Public School which was opened in 1988. Other educational institutes are Rose Buds Public School which is 25 years old established in 1992, Seth Sampatram Dugar Senior Secondary School, Balika Vidhyalaya, Mittal Girls College, Government Senior Secondary School, Anjuman senior secondary school, Meera Niketan, Basic Public School, Krishna Public School and Oxford Public School. Buniyadi Teacher's Training College & Cambridge Convent school and nine other B.Ed colleges.
Some of the prominent and artistically important haveli (mansions) in the town are:
- The haveli of Anoop Chand Jammar. This haveli is about 185 years old (founded in 1873) and is notable for the paintings on it walls. The east wall of this haveli has a frieze depicting the story of Pabuji, the hero who, according to legend, introduced camels to Rajasthan. Other walls feature paintings from c. 1900 that depict scenes from the Mahabharata. The haveli also hosts friezes on the walls of its forecourt. It has two room whose walls are painted with real gold
- The haveli of Buddhmal Dugar has a "Mehfil" (room for concerts and entertainment) which has many unique and rare chandeliers as well as antique items. There are rooms whose walls and ceilings are made of glass and gold. The haveli which stands opposite to this haveli was also built by Buddhmal Dugar and is around 150 years old. It is said that "Pittarji Maharaj" (the benign spirit of an ancestor) resides there.
- The haveli of the late Baijnathji Chaudhary on Chaudhary Marg near Ghantaghar (clock tower) is about 125 years old and hosts frescos on its walls.
- The haveli of the Tantia family stands down the road from the Ghantaghar (clock tower). When it was built by the Late Seth Jamnadas Tantia in the early 20th century, it was the tallest Haveli in all of Sardarshahar. All of its construction material was imported. Its inner atrium is adorned with wall paintings depicting scenes from the life of Lord Krishna.
- The haveli of Shree Chand Vijay Kumar Nahata is a modern as well as an ancient haveli.
- Gadhaiya's haveli has paintings and is a tourist spot.
The Clock Tower of Sardarshahar is very famous as it is the only clock tower in all of India that has streets running under it in all four directions. It was made by the Tantia family. The clock tower is made of white marble.Its height is 60 feet and the upper minaret is 30 feet high. Anglo swiss watches from Switzerland are embedded on its four sides.
Mataji (The Goddess of Truth) Mandir" worshiping by Pandit Rajeet Kumar Bhojak family member of Late. Sh. Arjun Ram Ji, located at Dugar school road.
Another temple is of Baba Ramdevji & shani temple located on Dugar school road. Shani Dev temple is maintained by the Panchiram Pincha charitable trust and is located at Pincha Ka Baas, Meena Ka Kunva.An ancient Parshwanath Jain shwetamber mandir with beautiful carvings is also present here. Sadana Thikana is a lecture hall and meditation center of the Terapanth Jain Oswal community. Satyanarayan ji's temple is also a historical and famous temple known for its ancient architecture. The other most famous temple is Shree Nath ji temple (related to Nath Sampradaya) established by Somnath Ji Maharaj.
One of the most famous and culturally important temples of Sardarshahar includes Rani Sati temple in 'Taal Maidaan'. Built in the 18th century by Jalan family, this temple is believed to have divine energies of the deity housed in this temple. It is visited by thousands of devotees especially during 'badi amavas' and 'mangsar navmi.
- Bhanwarlal Sharma – Seniormost member of Rajasthan Legislative Assembly.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Sardarshahar.|