This article needs additional citations for verification. (April 2019) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Founded by||Ratan Singh|
|Named for||Sardar Singh|
|• Body||Municipality Chairman|
|• City||36.00 km2 (13.90 sq mi)|
|• Rural||3,796 km2 (1,466 sq mi)|
|Area rank||biggest tehsil in Churu|
|Elevation||248.108 m (814.003 ft)|
|• City||total-382,474 city-95,911|
|• Rank||1st in churu district|
|• Density||235/km2 (610/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+5:30 (IST)|
|Sex ratio||931/1000 ♂/♀|
Sardarshahar is located northern Rajsthan a city in the Churu district of Rajasthan, India. It is also the seat of Rajasthan legislative assembly. The city is named after Sardar Singh, a Maharaja of Bikaner. It is known for grand havelis (mansions) with frescoes,The only Clock Tower(Ghanta Ghar) in Asia with passage open on 4 sides 24/7hrs, Ichha Purna Balaji Mandir and Acharya Shri Mahapragya Samadhi Sthal-(Shanti Peeth). It is also known for its handicraft work, silver work and wood works. It is the birthplace of Eleventh Acharya(Religious head)-Acharyashri Mahashramanji of Shri Jain Terapanthi Sect. Sardarshahr is also known for its sweets.
Location and transport
Sardarshahr is situated 285 kilometers from state capital Jaipur and 56 kilometers from district headquarters Churu. It has its own RSRTC bus depot which is operational here since 1976. It is also connected to Ratangarh through a railway line. The railway line ends here and the train returns to the Ratangarh Junction. The transport inside the city is mainly of Auto-Rickshaw. The city is also well connected with other important cities of the state, Bikaner & Sri Ganganagar using a mega highway and state highway network. It is around 130 kilometers from Bikaner. 1st Churu district RSRTC depot was established in Sardarshahr. Sardarshahr is on the Sri Ganganagar Kishangarh mega highway.
Sardarshahar is situated in the heart of the Thar Desert. This is a historical town and was established around 700 years ago. The town was named after prince Sardar Singh of Bikaner Kingdom. It has havelis adorned with fresco paintings and carved woodwork. It also has a small fort that now houses government offices.
It is the birthplace of the Eleventh Acharya of Jain Swetambar Terapanth, Acharya Shri Mahashramanji. It also has the Acharya Mahapragya Samadhi Sthal.
Sardarshahr is known for its fine Rajasthani musicians and bands. The town is also known for its artistic talent in silver jewelry and other articles of silver like utensils and gift items.
Sardarshahar has become an education hub in the district. The IASE Deemed University is a constituent of Gandhi Vidya Mandir. The foundation stone of the 1,200-acre (4.9 km2) university campus was laid in 1955 by the first President of India Dr. Rajendra Prasad. It educates over 10,000 students from kindergarten to post-graduate and Ph.D. A Jawahar Navodaya Vidyalaya is located in Sardarshahar. Bal Mandir Senior Secondary School occupies a sprawling campus in the heart of town. The oldest school of sardarshahar are Seth Sampat Ram Dugar Uchha Madhyamik Vidhyalay and Buniyadi Uchha Sikshan Sansthan(also known as Basic school). Both schools are part of Gandhi vidya mandir. The oldest English medium school in the town is Krishna Public School which was opened in 1988. Other educational institutes are Rose Buds Public School (Second English Medium School of Sardarshahar) which is 27 years old established in 1992, Balika Vidhyalaya, Mittal Girls College, Government Senior Secondary School, Anjuman senior secondary school, Meera Niketan, Oxford Public School & Cambridge Convent school. Maharana Pratap School is a new concept school in the city with shooting range, skating rink etc. sports. The city also has teacher training institutions. Buniyadi Teacher's Training College is among them.
Hindi is the official language and English is an additional official. Bagri language is the major Speaking Language in Sardarshahar.
Some of the prominent and artistically important haveli (mansions) in the town are:
- Jammar Haveli ( जम्मड भवन हवेली ) The haveli of Punam Chand Jammar. This haveli is about 185 years old (founded in 1873) and is notable for the paintings on it walls. The east wall of this haveli has a frieze depicting the story of Pabuji, the hero who, according to legend, introduced camels to Rajasthan. Other walls feature paintings from c. 1900 that depict scenes from the Mahabharata. The haveli also hosts friezes on the walls of its forecourt. It has two room whose walls are painted with real gold
- The haveli of Buddhmal Dugar has a "Mehfil" (room for concerts and entertainment) which has many unique and rare chandeliers as well as antique items. There are rooms whose walls and ceilings are made of glass and gold. The haveli which stands opposite to this haveli was also built by Buddhmal Dugar and is around 150 years old. It is said that "Pittarji Maharaj" (the benign spirit of an ancestor) resides there.
- The haveli of the late Baijnathji Chaudhary on Chaudhary Marg near Ghantaghar (clock tower) is about 125 years old and hosts frescos on its walls.
- The haveli of Shree Chand Vijay Kr Nahata is a modern as well as an ancient haveli.
- The haveli of Moolchand Malu, founder of KuberGroups, near Terapant Bhawan is a sight to watch.
- Gadhaiya's haveli has paintings and is a tourist spot.
- Shyamsukha Bhavan Haveli is known for its ancient and modern mix of systems and it is a well-built haveli.It is about 120 years old magnificent haveli.
- Dixit Havelis- There are Two Havelis at the adjacent corner of the Gandhi Chowk in Sardar Shahar. First Dixit Haveli is situated in Gandhi Chowk opposite Sardarshahar fort. It is about 140 Years old haveli build by Pandit Ram Chandra Dixit. Second Dixit Haveli Built by Pandit Ram Prasad Ji Dixit and is also approximately 120 year old haveli. Both Brothers migrated from Nohar and were among the first Ayurvedic Vaidyas of Sardarshahar. It is to be believed that Maharaja of Bikaner invited them to Sardarshahar to serve the public as a physician. Since then the renowned Dixit family is residing in Sardarshahar and providing medical services.
The clock tower of Sardarshahar is the only one clock tower in all of asia that has streets running under it in all four directions. The clock tower is made of white marble. Its height is 60 feet and the upper minaret is 30 feet high. Anglo swiss watches from Switzerland are embedded on its four sides. This is a tourist attraction. SARDARSHAHAR clocktower very famous in all over the world.
Iccha Puran Balaji Temple is dedicated to the God Hanuman, colloquial referred to as "Balaji" in the region. It is located on SH-7. There is plenty of quality craft and sculpture work all over the temple complex. This temple was built by Seth Mulchand Malu, a businessman from Sardarshahar.
Shanti peeth- jain temple and smadhi of world jain acharya shri Mahapragya ji it is located on sh-7 (mega highway)
One of the oldest temples is "Shri Sachchiyay. Mataji (The Goddess of Truth) Mandir" worshiping by Pandit Rajeet Kumar Bhojak family member of Late. Sh. Arjun Ram Ji, located at Dugar school road.
Another temple is of Baba Ramdevji & Shani temple located on Dugar school road. Shani Dev temple is maintained by the Panchiram Pincha charitable trust and is located at Pincha Ka Baas, Meena Ka Kunva. An ancient Parshwanath Jain shwetamber mandir with carvings is also present here. Sadhan ka Thikana (the place where Sadhus stay) is a lecture hall and meditation center of the Terapanth Jain Oswal community. In addition to the existing place, a new huge building was constructed named Terapanth Bhawan on the Dugar Vidyalaya Road in the year 2010 when the tenth Acharya of Jain Terapanth sect Acharya Mahapragya spent four months here as " Chaumasa".
Satyanarayan Ji's temple is also a historical template, well-known for its ancient architecture and is near Shyamsukha haveli. The other most famous temple is Shree Nath ji temple (related to Nath Sampradaya) established by Somnath Ji Maharaj.
One of the most famous and culturally important temples of Sardarshahar includes Rani Sati temple in 'Taal Maidaan'. Built in the 18th century, this temple is believed to have divine energies of the deity housed in this temple. It is visited by thousands of devotees especially during 'badi amavas' and 'mangsar navmi'. The "Taal Maidan" is a huge ground that also houses the government hospital built-in memory of Seth Chhotu Ram Sethia, a vyayamshala(exercise club),a Dharamshala built by Chhajer family and a charitable institute named Shrichand Bardia Rog Nidan Kendra built-in memory of his father by Sarup Chand Bardia.
S.R. Plaza'Apartment Complex
• 24x7 electricity at the lowest price from a large solar system • 24x7 water supply • Feels like an independent house! • Sufficient parking space • Fast & reliable service to residents on all floors for 24 hours. • Lift Facility • Daily Newspaper/Milk supply to your doorstep. • Cooking Gas Supply supply to your doorstep. • RO processed bottled water supply to your doorstep.