|Headquarters||corso Garibaldi 108
|European Parliament group||no MEPs|
The party was founded by Angelu Caria in 1994, in continuity with the Independentist Sardinian Party (PSIn), of which Carria had been long-time leader. After Carria's sudden death, Bustianu Cumpostu was elected new leader by defeating Gavino Sale.
In the 1996 general election SN won 4.3% in single-seat constituencies (11.6% in Tortolì and 9.6% in Iglesias), despite being present only in ten constituencies out of fourteen, and 2.3% for proportional representation, due to competition from the Sardinian Action Party (PSd'Az), which gained 3.8%.
In the 1999 Sardinian regional election SN had its best result ever, as Cumpostu received 5.8% of the vote for president, while the PSd'Az gained 8.3% with Franco Meloni. However, as Cumpostu did not surpass the 6% threshold and the party list stopped at 1.8%, the party did not get into the Regional Council.
Both for the 2001 general election and the 2004 regional election SN formed an alliance with the PSd'Az. This led Sale, who refused any collaboration with not fully separatist parties, and his faction to leave the party in 2001 to form Independence Republic of Sardinia (iRS). In the election the Sardist electorate was very fragmented (also because of the presence of the Sardinian Democratic Union, UDS, which ran on a "nationalist" platform) and most of SN former voters voted Sale for President (1.9%) and the iRS party list (0.7%), while only a minority voted for SN (0.4%).
SN won 1.1% of the vote in the 2006 general election and 0.7% in 2008. In the 2009 regional election the party formed a "nationalist" left-wing alliance with To the Left for Independence, a communist party, and other minor separatist groups, but gained only 0.5%, while Sale (iRS) 3.1%.
In the 2014 regional election the party unsuccessfully sought to join the coalition led by Michela Murgia (centred on Project Republic of Sardinia), in list with alike separatist parties, and finally decided not to take part to the election.
The electoral results of SN in Sardinia since 1994 are shown in the table below.
|1994 regional||1996 general||1999 regional||1999 European||2001 general||2004 European||2004 regional||2006 general||2008 general||2009 regional||2009 European||2013 general||2014 regional||2014 European|
- This result refers to the provincial lists of the party, whose regional list gained 2.7% of the vote.
- This result refers to proportional representation; SN gained 4.3% of the vote in single-seat constituencies.
- This result refers to the party list; Bustianu Cumpostu, candidate for President, won 5.8% of the vote.
- The party formed a joint list with the Sardinian Action Party that gained 3.4% for proportional representation and 4.1% in single-seat constituencies in Sardinia.
- This result refers to the joint list Sardinia Nation formed with To the Left for Independence and other minor secessionist groups.