|Industry||Music, Retail, Films|
|Headquarters||Kolkata, West Bengal, India|
|Vikram Mehra (MD) |
Sailesh Praveen (MD & CEO)
|Products||Carvaan, Carvaan Karaoke, Carvaan Mini, Carvaan Go|
|Parent||RP-Sanjiv Goenka Group (1985–present) |
Electric and Musical Industries (1931–1985)
The Gramophone Company Limited (1901–1931)
|Total views||16 billion|
Last updated: 28 August 2023
Saregama India Ltd.,[a] formerly known as The Gramophone Company of India Ltd., is India's oldest music label company, owned by the RP-Sanjiv Goenka Group of companies. The company is listed on the NSE and the BSE with its head office located in Kolkata and other offices in Mumbai, Chennai and Delhi. Apart from music, Saregama also produces films under the brand name Yoodlee Films and multi-language television content. Saregama also retails a music-based hardware platform called Carvaan.
Saregama owns music repertoire across film music, non-film music, Carnatic, Hindustani classical, devotional music, etc. in over 25 Indian languages. The first song recorded in India by Gauhar Jaan in 1902 and the first film made in Bollywood ‘Alam Ara' in 1931 were under the music label.
Saregama purveyor of Carnatic, Hindustani classical, devotional music also promotes dance music like Madhuban mein Radhika Nache .
Saregama holds the rights of 61 movies and over 6000 hours of TV content. With increasing focus in the new music space, Saregama has been cementing its position with new film and non-film acquisition across Hindi, Tamil, Telugu, Bhojpuri, Gujarati, Punjabi and other regional languages.
The music catalogue of Saregama is officially available across various domains for audiences to consume. This includes over-the-top (OTT) music streaming apps (Spotify, Gaana, Wynk, YouTube Music, Hungama, Resso, Apple Music, Tidal, Pandora, Napster, etc.), broadcasting platforms (Star network, Sony Tv Network, Viacom 18, India TV, Zee, Sun TV Network, etc.), OTT video streaming platforms (Netflix, Amazon Prime, Disney Plus Hotstar, Zee 5, Alt Balaji, Sony Liv, etc.) and social media platforms (Instagram, YouTube, Facebook, Josh, Moj, Triller).
Many Hindi films in recent times have their music on Saregama. These include Kahaani 2, 102 Not Out, Ek Ladki Ko Dekha Toh Aisa Laga, Total Dhamaal and Panga, among others. It has also signed as the official music label for forthcoming films like Bell Bottom, Gangubai Kathiawad, Kurup, Maidaan and the untitled next film of Ranveer Singh with director Shankar.
Over 11,800 tracks are available in the library.
In the Telugu space Saregama has over 8000 tracks. Saregama has an extensive collection of Malayalam music with over 7000 tracks of both evergreen film music and non-film music. Saregama has a collection of over 3000 songs of Kannada film and non-film music. Saregama has over 26,000 tracks in Bengali, including over 7900 Rabindra Sangeet and 1500 Nazrul Geeti. Saregama has over 6000 film and non-film Marathi tracks. Saregama has over 920 songs in Bhojpuri in their catalogue. In the space of Gujarati music, Saregama has over 2900 film and non-film tracks. Saregama also has over 1400 tracks each in Odia and Assamese, comprising both of film and non-film tracks.
Saregama also has a devotional catalogue with over 18,300 tracks, spanning Hindu devotional tracks, Gurbani, Islamic tracks and Christian devotional tracks. It also has an extensive folk music collection spanning folk songs in Bengali, Punjabi, Marathi, and Gujarati.
The Gramophone and Typewriter Ltd.
In 1901, the company began operations by recording the first song in India, as the first overseas branch of the Gramophone Company (EMI from 1931). It was incorporated in Calcutta (now Kolkata) as The Gramophone and Typewriter Ltd. The following year, Gramophone inventor Emile Berliner's assistant Fred Gaisberg came to India "on a mission to capture [its] music". Gauhar Jaan became the first Indian artist to be recorded there, on 5 January 1902. In 1907, a record factory was started in Dum Dum in Calcutta, the first outside UK.
The Gramophone Co.
On 13 August 1946, it was incorporated as a Private Limited company with the name of ‘The Gramophone Co. (India) Limited'. It was converted into a public company on 28 October 1968 and consequently the name of the company was changed to ‘The Gramophone Company of India Limited'. RPG Group took over the company in 1985 from EMI when the company's financial health was poor.
The name of the company was then changed from The Gramophone Company of India Limited to its current name, Saregama India Limited, on 3 November 2000. In 2005, the remaining EMI stake was sold off to the parent company.
Dum Dum Recording Studio
Saregama's recording studio, called Dum Dum studio, was built in 1928 in Calcutta. It is one of the oldest studios in Southeast Asia. Nobel Laureate Rabindranath Tagore had recorded his songs and poems in his own voice at this studio. Rebel poet Kazi Nazrul Islam's voice was also recorded here. The Dum Dum Recording studio was also a house to manufacturing and production of Gramophone Records and thereafter Music Cassettes. With advent of digital formats, the physical formats progressively went out of consumer patronage and consequently, these manufacturing facilities were shut down.
For the first 100 years, the company retailed its products (records, cassettes, CDs) under the brand name HMV (His Master's Voice) which was synonymous with film music in India. From 2000 onwards, it started retailing its products under the brand name, Saregama.
Carvaan is a portable music player with a pre-loaded collection of 5000 evergreen songs. It is an easy to use device and features in-built stereo speakers. It supports other features like USB, FM, and aux in. Since its inception, Saregama has launched multiple variants of Carvaan in different languages like Hindi, Punjabi, Tamil, Bengali and Marathi.
In 2018, Saregama Carvaan Premium was launched with additional features. There are 52 additional stations (as compared to the base model) and app support is provided for iOS and Android to create playlist and controlling the music system.
In the year 2019, Saregama launched Carvaan 2.O. In addition to the collection of 5000 songs, Wi-Fi connectivity is available which provides access to over 300 audio stations and over 20,000 songs. The content pushed as podcasts includes devotionals, children's rhymes, talk shows, travel, food, and health.
Carvaan Gold and Carvaan Gold 2.O are the premium versions of Saregama Carvaan which have all the old features of Carvaan along with Wi-Fi connectivity, additional audio stations, Champagne Gold and Rose Gold colours, and a Harman/Kardon sound system.
Carvaan GO is a portable digital audio player with in-built speakers and a pre-loaded collection of 3000 retro Hindi songs by yesteryear's singing legends. The songs are divided into various categories such as Artistes, Specials and Playlists. The personal device has a rechargeable battery with approximately seven hours of playtime. The additional features include Bluetooth, aux cable, micro SD, and FM/AM options. Carvaan Go Gold is available in Champagne Gold and Rose Gold color variants with Harman/Kardon sound.
Carvaan Mini is a portable music player with multiple variants of Bhakti, Rabindrasangeet, and Gurbani. Other variants have a collection of 351 songs dedicated to Hindi legends, Marathi legends, Bengali legends, Kannada legends, Malayalam legends, Tamil legends, Telugu legends, and Carvaan Mini M. S. Subbulakshmi, consisting of 351 songs.
Saregama recently launched Carvaan Mini Shrimad Bhagavad Gita, pre-loaded with 18 Adhyays, 700 verses of the Bhagavad Gita and 101 Krishna Bhajans. Carvaan Mini Art of Living with knowledge task by Gurudev Sri Sri Ravi Shankar.[clarification needed]
Carvaan Mini Kids, a dedicated variant for children, comes pre-loaded with over 80 English and Hindi rhymes, over 300 stories, over 15 learning topics, and over 30 mantras and devotional songs. Apart from pre-loaded content, it works as a Bluetooth speaker and offers USB and aux in compatibility. A special edition – Carvaan Mini Kids – Chhota Bheem has also been launched.
Carvaan Karaoke launched in the year 2020. It is the top end version of Carvaan with all its features plus 1000 Hindi karaoke tracks. It comes pre-loaded with 5000 evergreen Hindi songs, 1000 karaoke tracks, over 300 daily updated podcast stations, FM/AM, Bluetooth, USB and aux in. Carvaan Karaoke has an inbuilt screen to display the karaoke screen, which slides upwards upon pressing the karaoke button. The karaoke lyrics can be displayed on a TV or projector by connecting it with an HDMI cable. It comes along with two wireless microphones. Karaoke tracks are classified under Actors, Artistes, Eras, Moods and Top 50 for easy and quick selection. It comes in the classic Metallic Red color.
|1||Nov-17||IPRCCA 2017||Best use of PR by a Brand - Silver|
|2||Apr-18||Brand Equity Marketing Awards 2018||Innovation of the Year Award|
|3||Apr-18||Apac Effies -The Womb (Agency)||One Gold and Two silvers : 'Let's create viral products' for Saregama|
|3||May-18||WAARC Innovation Awards to The Womb (agency)||Special Award for Category Innovation and Silver for Effective Innovation|
|4||Aug-18||IndIAA Awards 2018||The Perfect Gift|
|5||Aug-18||Marquees 2018||Reimagining for the Better|
|6||Aug-19||IndIAA Awards 2019||Shaadi ka naya gift|
Yoodlee Films is the film division of Saregama India. Founded in 2017, it is headquartered in Mumbai and has made 17 films across genres and languages, for both theatrical release and for video streaming platforms like Netflix, Disney+ Hotstar and Zee 5. The film Hamid by Aijaz Khan was bestowed with two National Awards in the 66th National Awards for Best Film in Urdu and Best Child Artist for Talha Arshad Reshi. Hamid also won the Muhammad Al-Ameen Award, a diploma of honour for the best film on peace at the 37th Fajr International Film Festival. At the 67th National Film Awards, actor Naga Vishal won the National Award for 'Best Child Artist' for his role in the film. Additionally, Sushama Deshpande received a special mention for her acting in the movie Ajji, at the Indian Film Festival of Los Angeles. Ali Haji also won the Best Child Actor Award for the movie Noblemen at the New York Indian Film Festival in 2018.
- P Physical distribution only
Saregama produces content for TV channels in Tamil, Hindi, Telugu, Kannada, Malayalam, Marathi and Bengali. The company has created many serials and shows.
- Soolam (2001)
- Velan (2002)
- My Dear Bhootham (2004)
- Raja Rajeswari (2005)
- Vepilaikari (2007-2008)
- Athipookkal (2007-2012)
- Pondadi thevai (2010-2012)
- Valli (2012-2019)
- Pillai Nila (2012-2014)
- Bhairavi Aavigalukku Priyamanaval (2012-2017)
- Roja (2018–2022)
- Sevanthi (2019 - Present) Udaya TV
- Roja (2019-2020) Gemini TV
- Anbe Vaa (2020–present)
- Ilakkiya (2022-present)
- Iniya (2022-present)
- Saregama refers to the first four notes of the Indian musical scale
- "About Saregama Music". YouTube.
- "New IPL teams: Sanjiv Goenka's New Rising gets Pune, Intex gets Rajkot". The Economic Times. 9 December 2018. Retrieved 23 March 2018.
- "How data is helping India's oldest music company Saregama revive its fortunes | FactorDaily". FactorDaily. 14 June 2017. Retrieved 23 March 2018.
- "SaReGaMa's production house Yoodlee Film's to release BrijMohan Amar Rahe on 1st December 2017". International Business Times. 21 November 2017. Retrieved 23 March 2018.
- "Saregama Carvaan: A 5,000 song music directory". business standard. Retrieved 10 June 2017.
- "Saregama India Ltd - Company History". Business Standard.
- "Saregama Carvaan: Nostalgia in a box". Fortune India.
- "Saregama enters into global music licensing deal with video platform Triller; Stock zooms 5%". IIFL Securities.
- "Saregama brings its content catalogue to Josh users". Hindustan Times.
- "Saregama signs licensing deal with short video app Triller". Hindustan Times.
- "Saregama India acquires music of Kahaani 2-Durga Rani Singh". Firstpost.
- "Saregama signed on as music label for Akshay Kumar's Bell Bottom". Cinestaan.
- "Sanjay Leela Bhansali inks deal with Saregama for three projects including Gangubai Kathiawadi". Bollywood Hungama.
- "Saregama launches Carvaan Punjabi with 5,000 pre-loaded songs". Exchange for media.
- "Saregama posts 151% increase to Rs 37.18 crore in net profit". Financial Express.
- "Arun Vijay Starring Thadam Unveils Jukebox". Hans India.
- "Dr M S Subbulakshmi". India Today.
- "SP Balasubrahmanyam's velvety voice was unpretentious and yet grand". India Express.
- "Telugu MP3 Songs | Telugu All Time Hit Songs Free Download | Saregama". Free Listing India.
- "Best Of S. Rajeshwara Rao & Dr. SiNaRe Telugu Songs Jukebox | Super Hit Songs Collection". KZitems.
- "Download Kj Yesudas Jukebox Top 100 Malayalam Songs in 3GP MP4 FLV MP3 available in 240p, 360p, 720p, 1080p video formats". Codedwap.
- "Top 50 Kannada Rajyothsava Songs". Lyricsraaga.
- "Vikram Mehra shares about how Carvaan brought back radio to living rooms". radio and music.
- "Saregama Carvaan Gold Review: You Pay More For The Harman Kardon Tuned Sound, But Its Worth it". News 18.
- "Top 5 Marathi Songs Of Asha Bhosale You Should Listen To Calm Your Busy Mind". IWM Buzz.
- "This Gudi Padwa, Saregama launches the Marathi album 'Bhavartha Mauli' by the living legend, Bharat Ratna Lata Mangeshkar ji". Radio and Music.
- "Khesari Lal Yadav New Song: खेसारी लाल यादव के नए गाने ने 24 घंटे में बनाया रिकॉर्ड, वीडियो ने लूटा फैंस का दिल". Aaj Tak.
- "Watch Latest Gujarati Music Video Song 'Madhosh' Sung By Rakesh Barot". Times of India.
- "Saregama launches Carvaan Mini Legends - Assamese". Exchange 4 Media.
- "Spotify India users can now access 1,00,000-plus Saregama retro tracks by Lata Mangeshkar, Mohammed Rafi and more". The Hindu.
- "Radio services: Vodafone partners Timbre Media". The Indian Express.
- "Saregama History". Value Stocks.
- "Saregama India Ltd". Money Control. 23 March 2018. Retrieved 23 March 2018.
- "RPG Music: House of Music". Archived from the original on 11 May 1997. Retrieved 15 November 2018.
- "Saregama India Ltd". The Economic Times. 23 March 2018. Retrieved 23 March 2018.
- "The house of vinyl". Livemint. 23 September 2010. Retrieved 23 March 2018.
- "Saregama plans to sell land in revival bid". The Hindu Business Line. 8 May 2004. Retrieved 23 March 2018.
- Munshi, Suman (10 May 2017). "Saregama Carvaan a journey with the time machine : Digital audio player with pre-loaded 5000 retro songs". IBG News. Retrieved 25 October 2019.
- "Saregama Carvaan Premium With Companion App Support Launched at Rs. 7,390". NDTV Gadgets 360. 19 September 2018. Retrieved 25 October 2019.
- "Solid ramp-up for Saregama Carvaan 2.0 podcast offerings with BBC, Sadhguru, Gulzar, Fever FM". Media brief.
- "Saregama Carvaan 2.0 With 5,000 Preloaded Songs, Wi-Fi Launched". NDTV Gadgets 360. 19 June 2019. Retrieved 25 October 2019.
- "Saregama Carvaan Karaoke with display launched in India, price starts at Rs 19,990". India Today.
- "Saregama Carvaan Hindi". Jawa Radio. Retrieved 26 April 2021.
- "Saregama launches portable Carvaan Go speaker with 3,000 evergreen songs at Rs 3,990". The Indian Express. 16 April 2019. Retrieved 25 October 2019.
- "Saregama launches Carvaan Shrimad Bhagavad Gita; Lata, Jagjit bhajans in playlist". The Economic Times. 3 September 2019. Retrieved 25 October 2019.
- "Saregama Carvaan Karaoke with display launched in India". India Today. Retrieved 16 December 2020.
- "Value 360 and Viacom 18 win big at IPRCCA; Roger C.B. Pereira conferred with Lifetime Achievement Award - Exchange4media". Indian Advertising Media & Marketing News – exchange4media. Retrieved 25 October 2019.
- "Brand Equity Marketing Awards: And, the winners are..." ETBrandEquity.com. Retrieved 25 October 2019.
- "India brings home 20 metals at 2018 APAC Effie Awards". www.bestmediaifo.com. 30 April 2018. Retrieved 25 October 2019.
- "Carvaan wins WARC Prize for Asian Strategy | WARC". www.warc.com. Retrieved 25 October 2019.
- "Chrome Pictures Victorious at The INDIAA Awards". afaqs!. 4 September 2018. Retrieved 25 October 2019.
- "Advertising Club honours best brands with Marquees 2018". The Hindu. 5 September 2018. ISSN 0971-751X. Retrieved 25 October 2019.
- "Ogilvy dominates the IndIAA Awards". Campaign India. Retrieved 25 October 2019.
- "Talha Arshad Reshi, winner of Best Child Actor is clueless about his National Award. Deets inside". India Tv News. 10 August 2019.
- "37th Fajr Intl. Film Festival Concludes with Announcing Winners". Tasnim News.
- "Naga Vishal on winning National Award for Best Child Artist: I wasn't prepared for it". India Tv News. 24 March 2021.
- "37th Fajr Intl. Film Festival Concludes with Announcing Winners". Tasnim News Agency. 26 April 2019.
- "accolades for yoodlee films noblemen at new york indian film festival". United News Of India. 18 May 2018.
- "Striking a new note, Saregama moves into film content creation". @businessline. Retrieved 17 August 2018.