Sarfaraz K. Niazi
This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (October 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Sarfaraz K. Niazi
سرفراز خان نیازی
सर्फ़राज़ ख़ान नियाज़ी
10 July 1949 |
Lucknow, Uttar Pradesh, India
|Residence||Chicago, IL, US|
|Alma mater||University of Illinois, Washington State University, and Karachi University.|
Inductee, Chicago Hall of Entrepreneurs (2015)
|Institutions||University of Illinois at Chicago
Aga Khan University Hospital
Higher Education Commission of Pakistan
University of Houston College of Pharmacy
Sarfaraz Khan Niazi (Urdu: سرفراز خان نیازی, Hindi: सर्फ़राज़ ख़ान नियाज़ी) was born in Lucknow, India in 1949; he migrated to Karachi, Pakistan in 1962, and to the United States in 1970. He is an expert in biopharmaceutical manufacturing and has worked in academia and in industry, and as an entrepreneur. He has written books in the field of pharmaceutical sciences, biotechnology, consumer healthcare and poetry. He has translated ghazals (love poems) of the Urdu poet Ghalib.
Niazi earned a bachelor of science degree in pharmacy from the University of Karachi in 1969. In 1970 he moved to the United States. He obtained his master of science degree in pharmaceutical sciences in 1971 from Washington State University in Pullman, WA, and then moved to Illinois. In 1974, he obtained his doctorate in pharmaceutical sciences from the University of Illinois at Chicago.
From 1972 to 1988, he taught at the College of Pharmacy at the University of Illinois at Chicago. From 1988 to 1996 he worked for Abbott Laboratories as its director of technical affairs in Karachi and at the same time, he was professor of pharmacology at the Aga Khan University Hospital in Karachi. From 1996 to 1999, he worked for Gulf Pharmaceutical Industries (also known as Julphar) in Ras al-Khaimah of the United Arab Emirates. From 1999 to 2002, he was CEO of Julphar Pharma Inc., located in Deerfield, IL. In 1997, he established his own consulting business, known as Pharmaceutical Scientist, Inc.
In 2003 he founded Therapeutic Proteins, Inc. to develop biosimilar versions of biopharmaceuticals as filgrastim, erythropoietin, interferon, and Pegfilgrastim. In March 2012, this company became Therapeutic Proteins International, LLC. The company has proprietary single-use bioreactor systems.
Also in 2003 he joined Nextar Pharma in Karachi as chairman and chief scientific officer; Nextar is a manufacturer of biopharmaceuticals.
Since 2004, he has served as an adjunct professor at the University of Houston College of Pharmacy, and since 2007 as an adjunct professor at the HEJ Research Institute of Chemistry at the University of Karachi. Since 2013, he has been a NUST Visiting Professor at the National University of Sciences and Technology (NUST) in Islamabad, Pakistan.
Starting in 2005 he has advised the Pakistani government in regulatory science, intellectual property, and entrepreneurship.
In 2002 Niazi published the first complete translation of the ghazals of Mirza Asadullah Baig Khan, known as "Ghalib" and another in 2009. Niazi hosts a show on Voice of America every Sunday, where he recites ghazals.
On 14 August 2012, the Government of Pakistan announced that President Asif Ali Zardari awarded the Sitara-i-Imtiaz in Engineering Science to Sarfaraz. In March 2015, he received Alum of the Year Award from the University of Illinois. In September 2015, he was inducted into Chicago Entrepreneur Hall of Fame.
Textbooks and professional handbooks
- Textbook of Clinical Pharmacokinetics and Biopharmaceutics. Bsp Publications, 2010. ISBN 9789381075043.
- Handbook of Pharmaceutical Manufacturing Formulations Volumes 1–6 Boca Raton, Florida: CRC, 2004. ISBN 9780849317521.
- Handbook of Biogeneric Therapeutic Proteins: Regulatory, Manufacturing, Testing, and Patent Issues. Boca Raton, Florida: CRC, 2002. ISBN 9780849329913.
- Handbook of Preformulation: Drugs, Botanicals and Biological Pharmaceutical Products. Boca Raton, Florida: CRC, 2006. ISBN 9780849371936.
- Handbook of Bioequivalence Testing. Boca Raton, Florida: CRC, 2007. ISBN 9781482226379.
- Express News, Pakistan. 2 Oct 2014 ڈاکٹر سرفراز خان نیازی ؛ دنیائے طب میں انقلاب لانے والے پاکستانی سائنس دان English version via Google translate
- Sarfaraz K. Niazi. Love Sonnets of Ghalib. Rupa & Co. (10 January 2009) ISBN 978-8171675968, see back flap.
- Sarfaraz K Niazi, Ph.D. CV Page accessed 23 April 2015
- Kristen Schorsch for Crains Chicago Business. 29 May 2014 Medicine or food? Both, is this startup's mission
- Kate MacArthur, Special to Blue Sky in the Chicago Tribune. 17 June 2014, Q&A: How an inventor's trying to cut the cost of making biological drugs
- Gulzar for India Today. 25 February 2002 Ghalib in love. Book review: Love Sonnets of Ghalib, translated by Sarfaraz K. Niazi
- Jamaluddin Aali, quoted in Sarfaraz K. Niazi. Wine of Passion. Lahore, Pakistan: Ferozsons Publishing, 2009
- Nicole Fisher for Forbes. 30 August 2014 The Most Interesting Man Revolutionizing The Health World
- "President confers civil awards". The News. 14 August 2012.
-  Page accessed 2 Feb 2016
- University of Illinois College of Pharmacy National Advisory Board: Profile of Sarfaraz K. Niazi Page accessed 23 April 2015